Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Inglis is wanting to come up here for personal reasons I doubt he'd be asking for big money, youd hope the club is well aware that Roberts has potential to be the best centre in the world and should be top priority.
The NRL would still put a notional value on him and I doubt we would be able to afford that (under the cap). Roberts will also need a decent upgrade.

The NRL would still put a notional value on him and I doubt we would be able to afford that (under the cap). Roberts will also need a decent upgrade.

The Warriors just gave Foran minimum wage for a season because he was fresh off an injury / mental rehabilitation hindered season.. What's the difference?

I would prefer Roberts.

Inglis can go somewhere else. He would still very likely demand somewhere around the 500k mark and that's just too much for him after his recent injury. He has probably two years left in him.

The Warriors just gave Foran minimum wage for a season because he was fresh off an injury / mental rehabilitation hindered season.. What's the difference?

do you seriously think the NRL are going to allow him to be registered under the cap for a low amount.

besides all i ever read about Foran is that he signed with the Warriors, nothing about him signing for minimum wage

as your so fond of saying source?

I would prefer Roberts.

Inglis can go somewhere else. He would still very likely demand somewhere around the 500k mark and that's just too much for him after his recent injury. He has probably two years left in him.

Demand? He won't be demanding anything if he asks for a release to return to Brisbane on compassionate grounds, I honestly believe if we registered a contract with the NRL for $300k a year citing all of the reasons as to why that's what he's worth, coming off a major injury, 31 years old, potentially battling some serious mental demons.. The NRL would have a hard time rejecting the contract and saying "No, we think he's worth twice as much as that, sorry, we won't be registering this contract." Which would virtually mean they're ending his NRL career, by the way, because he'd be confined to joining a SEQ team, and the Titans certainly won't have the cap room for him either after re-signing Hayne, Taylor, Peats, etc.

We could essentially put the NRL between a rock and a hard place, either register the contract for what we deem him to be worth, or reject it, and end the playing career of a fan favourite.

The ball is in your court Todd.

That is actually good reasoning. ^

GI is considered by many in the Rugby League community, especially the NRL head office, as one of the best players in the game.

We aren't getting him for well under market value.

It COULD explain the delay in Roberts signing but I'd rather keep Roberts. I love GI but he's old and busted now.

This.

Why on gods earth would we want him. He WAS a great but his best football is way behind him. He has hardly put together two months of football in a row since '14 and now he's recovering from an ACL. Everyone knows that takes two years to get back to top form and that's hoping you don't do it again.
He's 30 and as good as he's been I just can't see him ever returning to anything like his best. Souths form over the last 2 1/2 seasons has been a snapshot of his influence and how much they needed him after Burgess left. Even the return of Burgess hasn't helped as they have been too reliant on Inglis when he has been struggling to even stay on the park.
We need to look to the future not hope a memory of greatness is the answer.

Demand? He won't be demanding anything if he asks for a release to return to Brisbane on compassionate grounds, I honestly believe if we registered a contract with the NRL for $300k a year citing all of the reasons as to why that's what he's worth, coming off a major injury, 31 years old, potentially battling some serious mental demons.. The NRL would have a hard time rejecting the contract and saying "No, we think he's worth twice as much as that, sorry, we won't be registering this contract." Which would virtually mean they're ending his NRL career, by the way, because he'd be confined to joining a SEQ team, and the Titans certainly won't have the cap room for him either after re-signing Hayne, Taylor, Peats, etc.

We could essentially put the NRL between a rock and a hard place, either register the contract for what we deem him to be worth, or reject it, and end the playing career of a fan favourite.

The ball is in your court Todd.

I actually completely agree with this. Well thought out.

how would it end his career when he has a contract with Souths until 2020?

If he needs to be in or near Brisbane for whatever reason (that would be the meaning of the compassionate release) and the Titans don't have room and he can't sign with us, then that is pretty much ending his NRL career.

If he needs to be in or near Brisbane for whatever reason (that would be the meaning of the compassionate release) and the Titans don't have room and he can't sign with us, then that is pretty much ending his NRL career.

that would be his choice not the NRL's

I can't recall a single time where the NRL has allowed a player to be signed by a club for under half of their market value. and they are certainly not going to start with us

how would it end his career when he has a contract with Souths until 2020?

This scenario is only an option if he's granted a release to return to Brisbane, which is the rumour.

that would be his choice not the NRL's

I can't recall a single time where the NRL has allowed a player to be signed by a club for under half of their market value. and they are certainly not going to start with us

Isn't market value just whatever a team is willing to pay him? That's how it works in every other sport in the world, for example in the NBA, the 76ers may offer a player a $80m deal over 4 years, and the Cavaliers may offer the same player a $40m deal over 4 years, the player will probably sign with the Cavaliers in that situation because they're a far better team..

Every sport in the world works like that, I don't understand why there's this belief that the NRL is competely different and you HAVE to give a player what he was worth in his prime or you're rorting the system..

Isn't market value just whatever a team is willing to pay him? That's how it works in every other sport in the world, for example in the NBA, the 76ers may offer a player a $80m deal over 4 years, and the Cavaliers may offer the same player a $40m deal over 4 years, the player will probably sign with the Cavaliers in that situation because they're a far better team..

Every sport in the world works like that, I don't understand why there's this belief that the NRL is competely different and you HAVE to give a player what he was worth in his prime or you're rorting the system..

it doesn't matter what we beleive ... it matters what the NRL believe.

the NRL have consistently enforced a notional value on players, and i see absolutely no reason why they would make an exception for us and Greg Inglis

it doesn't matter what we beleive ... it matters what the NRL believe.

the NRL have consistently enforced a notional value on players, and i see absolutely no reason why they would make an exception for us and Greg Inglis

What algorithm do they use to determine a players worth coming off a season ending leg injury at age 31? Surely that's a 50-60% deduction in perceived worth..

You can't know what they deem him to be worth, nor can I.

What algorithm do they use to determine a players worth coming off a season ending leg injury at age 31? Surely that's a 50-60% deduction in perceived worth..

You can't know what they deem him to be worth, nor can I.

since when have the NRL used any form of common sense ...

they will likely pick the number out of thin air ... but since he is already contracted, they will likely use his current contract value as a starting point (a 50% deduction off that still put's his notional value at around the 500k mark)

His standing in the game is what helps jack up his market value.

He is still considered one of the best in the game. We aren't getting him for 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.