Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Proctor's management has reportedly contacted us to offer his services for next year. it hasn't been reported if we are interested or not.

Dragons, Warriors and Knights have reportedly expressed their interest in Proctor
Hope its not Moses

I like Kevin. Solid player and at 31 he has a good two years in him easily. If he's happy to come for 2 years at a value contract, I think he'd be great for the team. We're losing Fifita and should be fucking off TPJ, he'd be an excellent backrow option to have that's reliable week in week out.
Agree, a dependable journeyman wouldn't go astray. He will add some depth to our stocks there too. Glenn seems to be picking up a few injuries lately and Proctor seems to have good work ethic. I've not paid much attention to his defense, but he knows how to run lines.

Why don't you like him? I'm curious, because I think he's a good player who would be good value in the club. A leader who has been in a good system (not the Titans lol) and importantly, he WANTS to come here.

Agreed. If he is wanting $2-300k, I'd be all for it.

Big no to Proctor. Has had like 2 good games for the titans in the last 2 seasons. It would be a desperation signing.

I think Procter's form has been good recently for the titans. He'd be a fine acquisition on the right money.

Why don't you like him? I'm curious, because I think he's a good player who would be good value in the club. A leader who has been in a good system (not the Titans lol) and importantly, he WANTS to come here.
To me he has always been a below average second rower and he will likely want a 2-3 yr contract somewhere in the vicinity of $400k-$600k:
  • He plays like a workhorse, but doesn't really get through a lot of work.
  • He runs lines, but doesn't threaten the defence.
  • He doesn't have an offload
  • He doesn't break tackles
  • His defence is just normal for a second rower, but not high impact
Proctor's stats over the last few years are below and to me they are seriously underwhelming... he just doesn't really bring anything and will want to get paid a premium to do it.

If he wants to come for 2yr on $200k sure why not... if he wants to come here for 3yr at even $400k then no chance in hell do I want us wasting money on him.

Unfortunately for me he is the exact kind of signing the broncos will probably be looking at; second rower, experienced and settled in SEQLD. I just hope they don't break the bank for him if they go for him.

Year2020201920182017
Games10222316
Avg runs per game9.1109.411.7
Run meters per game71.275.773.492.4
Tackles per game29.732.530.7830.4
Missed Tackles (per game)18 (1.8)43 (1.95)40 (1.74)16 (1)
Tries2233
Line breaks2461
Tackle busts (per game)10 (1)20 (0.91)22 (0.96)11 (0.69)
Offloads (per game)8 (0.8)10 (0.45)11 (0.48)11 (0.69)

Last edited:
To me he has always been a below average second rower and he will likely want a 2-3 yr contract somewhere in the vicinity of $400k-$600k:
  • He plays like a workhorse, but doesn't really get through a lot of work.
  • He runs lines, but doesn't threaten the defence.
  • He doesn't have an offload
  • He doesn't break tackles
  • His defence is just normal for a second rower, but not high impact
Proctor's stats over the last few years are below and to me they are seriously underwhelming... he just doesn't really bring anything and will want to get paid a premium to do it.

If he wants to come for 2yr on $200k sure why not... if he wants to come here for 3yr at even $400k then no chance in hell do I want us wasting money on him.

Unfortunately for me he is the exact kind of signing the broncos will probably be looking at; second rower, experienced and settled in SEQLD. I just hope they don't break the bank for him if they go for him.

Year2020201920182017
Games10222316
Avg runs per game9.1109.411.7
Run meters per game71.275.773.492.4
Tackles per game29.732.530.7830.4
Missed Tackles (per game)18 (1.8)43 (1.95)40 (1.74)16 (1)
Tries2233
Line breaks2461
Tackle busts (per game)10 (1)20 (0.91)22 (0.96)11 (0.69)
Offloads (per game)8 (0.8)10 (0.45)11 (0.48)11 (0.69)
You're far more prepared for this than I am. You win.
#NoProctor

You're far more prepared for this than I am. You win.
#NoProctor
I originally just went with my observations and was going to leave it there, but thought I should at least check if what I think I see actually correlates with the stats... and they seemed to be inline with my thinking 🙂

Like I said, he's the kind of signing the broncos will be looking at... if he comes on the Glenn contract (2yr @ $200k) then it's a good signing, but if he's coming for $400k+ and 3yrs, then it's basically an Offa contract for someone who probably offers less than him.

It's likely to be his last contract and he's not exactly doing anything different compared to his last 4 years, which had him playing for NZ... so I can't see him going anywhere on the cheap.

Last edited:
I assumed he was only asking about next year at this stage based on what was posted. I definitely wouldn't take him on anything longer than that.

I originally just went with my observations and was going to leave it there, but thought I should at least check if what I think I see actually correlates with the stats... and they seemed to be inline with my thinking 🙂

Like I said, he's the kind of signing the broncos will be looking at... if he comes on the Glenn contract (2yr @ $200k) then it's a good signing, but if he's coming for $400k+ and 3yrs, then it's basically an Offa contract for someone who probably offers less than him.

It's likely to be his last contract and he's not exactly doing anything different compared to his last 4 years, which had him playing for NZ... so I can't see him going anywhere on the cheap.
I'm a sucker for good formatting, so you really could have said anything but when it was presented that beautifully you were going to win me over.

We're going to have a ton of money next year and are short a backrower though
Does any off contract backrower stand out to you?

Looking through the list these guys stand out as worth pursuing (at the right price):
Sia Soliola - at minimum or close, 1 year deal
Guerra - ^ as above

And that's about it.
It's really slim pickings, we could save our money but I can't see us making much use of the money we save next year.

I'm a sucker for good formatting, so you really could have said anything but when it was presented that beautifully you were going to win me over.

We're going to have a ton of money next year and are short a backrower though
Does any off contract backrower stand out to you?

Looking through the list these guys stand out as worth pursuing (at the right price):
Sia Soliola - at minimum or close, 1 year deal
Guerra - ^ as above

And that's about it.
It's really slim pickings, we could save our money but I can't see us making much use of the money we save next year.
I'm a sucker for spreadsheets and because I'm on my laptop at the moment it was pretty easy to whack it together.

You're right it's very slim pickings in the current market. I'd take a Guerra or someone of that ilk, but only at bottom dollar.

I had provided a shot at who I would look to target in the current free agents (link below).

In regards to second row I had the below from July 2020... so TPJ was still hanging around, but Fifita had just left:
"Second Row
I think of most urgency right now is a 2nd rower as we can't run Glenn + Teo/TPJ with no depth. I want TPJ in the middle, and Teo can't handle 80... Glenn can barely get on the field at the moment.
Players of interest:
- Mitch Barnett is a free agent now
- Isaiah Papali'i is also a free agent as of now and warriors have Katoa and Tohu locked into their second row
- Angus Crichton is off contract in 2021... I actually consider Crichton to be the most complete 2nd rower in the comp
- Sua off contract 2021... if the coach is moved on we could go back in??
- Elliott Whitehead is off contract 2022... Canberra have some cap troubles and Whitehead seems like the guy that is getting moved around a bit. To me he is the kind of guy we currently need at the club. He's a winner and plays 80 minutes every week in a position we now need. "

Of that list I'm most interested in Barnett of those that are available right now... He doesn't quite have the experience we need and Knights will probably want to keep him, but I think he's very solid and brings something in attack whilst also being solid enough in defence. Can play in the middle as well if needed. EDIT: looks like Barnett is signed through to 2023... the NRL contracts page must not have been updated when I looked at it originally??

I'd also think Whitehead is a guy that would be very very good for us. He seems to be the forgotten man in that raiders pack since Bateman arrived... he got shifted from right edge to left edge.

I might've said Whitehead when Bateman was still hanging around (so he could've been excess), but they've just signed CHN and Ricky loves Tapine... so Whitehead could again find himself on the outer.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for spreadsheets and because I'm on my laptop at the moment it was pretty easy to whack it together.

You're right it's very slim pickings in the current market. I'd take a Guerra or someone of that ilk, but only at bottom dollar.

I had provided a shot at who I would look to target in the current free agents (link below).

In regards to second row I had the below from July 2020... so TPJ was still hanging around, but Fifita had just left:
"Second Row
I think of most urgency right now is a 2nd rower as we can't run Glenn + Teo/TPJ with no depth. I want TPJ in the middle, and Teo can't handle 80... Glenn can barely get on the field at the moment.
Players of interest:
- Mitch Barnett is a free agent now
- Isaiah Papali'i is also a free agent as of now and warriors have Katoa and Tohu locked into their second row
- Angus Crichton is off contract in 2021... I actually consider Crichton to be the most complete 2nd rower in the comp
- Sua off contract 2021... if the coach is moved on we could go back in??
- Elliott Whitehead is off contract 2022... Canberra have some cap troubles and Whitehead seems like the guy that is getting moved around a bit. To me he is the kind of guy we currently need at the club. He's a winner and plays 80 minutes every week in a position we now need. "

Of that list I'm most interested in Barnett... He doesn't quite have the experience we need and Knights will probably want to keep him, but I think he's very solid and brings something in attack whilst also being solid enough in defence. Can play in the middle as well if needed.

I'd also think Whitehead is a guy that would be very very good for us. He seems to be the forgotten man in that raiders pack since Bateman arrived... he got shifted from right edge to left edge.

I might've said Whitehead when Bateman was still hanging around (so he could've been excess), but they've just signed CHN and Ricky loves Tapine... so Whitehead could again find himself on the outer.
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08/27/the-raiders-own-iron-man-elliott-whitehead/ - I reckon there's 0% chance we get Whitehead, he's not leaving.
I really like Barnett as a player but he's definitely a bit of a loose canon and I just feel like he's the sort of player who under the Brisbane judiciary microscope would be picked up for ever indiscretion but out of the entire list, I like him the most.
Crichton is apparently on a million a year the Roosters but I do like him as a player but if he kills it again, I can't see the Roosters letting him leave.
Would definitely take Sua back.

We're going to be really short in the backrow next year, if there's injuries we are screwed. Maybe Glenn can actually stay on the field next year, that would be a start, and Oates could always transition to full time backrow. Te'o may be worth keeping around if he's willing to be minimum wage again for one final year.

Last edited:
Hasn't been good for awhile imo

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/08/27/the-raiders-own-iron-man-elliott-whitehead/ - I reckon there's 0% chance we get Whitehead, he's not leaving.
I really like Barnett as a player but he's definitely a bit of a loose canon and I just feel like he's the sort of player who under the Brisbane judiciary microscope would be picked up for ever indiscretion but out of the entire list, I like him the most.
Crichton is apparently on a million a year the Roosters but I do like him as a player but if he kills it again, I can't see the Roosters letting him leave.
Would definitely take Sua back.

We're going to be really short in the backrow next year, if there's injuries we are screwed. Maybe Glenn can actually stay on the field next year, that would be a start, and Oates could always transition to full time backrow. Te'o may be worth keeping around if he's willing to be minimum wage again for one final year.
Crichton won't be getting $1m again, but I think he's a second rower that you would pay good money for and hasn't really been getting much of a run with Robinson up until this year. I don't think roosters will lose him, but they have Tupouniua coming through who looks good... raw, but very promising. Who knows Cordner might call it quits soon, but it is a lot of money having $1.5-2.0m tied up in 2 second rowers... so they may look to cut their losses when Crichton comes off contract next.

Whitehead is exactly what we need right now, but agree he is unlikely. It was a suggestion IF raiders are looking for cap space then Whitehead seemed like a guy that was a little underappreciated at the club (was moved the second Bateman came into the squad)... and Ricky has an obsession with trying to shoehorn Tapine somewhere into the team.

If I'm looking now the market is barren so potentially we look for guys that aren't necessarily going to get the big minutes.

A guy like Capewell is looking at a panthers team with Yeo playing lock, Kikau locked into the second row and a guy like Martin who looks very promising. Capewell is solid and would provide great value for money. Also a Queenslander.

Ethan Lowe is not a guy I would be chasing normally, but Sua is locked in. Arrow's heading there next year, therefore Murray might be back to the edge. After being injured this year he would probably come on the cheap... although Crawley was suggesting he might retire.

Maybe even a Michael Chee-Kam... rated in his juniors, but hasn't really locked down a starting spot. Potentially his defence is suspect, because he always looks dangerous with the ball in hand

I'm also thinking Oates will make a permanent move to the second row next year, because our depth is non-existent.

Last edited:
Looks like we found 2 of the people responsible for hiring Seibold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • Strop
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Xzei
  • Bronx48
  • Brotherdu
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Fatboy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Tim K
  • Skathen
  • RodF
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.