Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with @Super Freak to an extent. Kahu is the strangest goal kicker I've seen in a while, sometimes he strikes the ball as clean as anyone in the world, other times he can't even make the distance (How many times has this happened this season? 6, 7 times?)

From memory Kahu is kicking at around the 80% mark on the season, but I'm not sure if that is a reliable or sustainable figure for him. He also severely inhibits our ability to take the 2 if we're any more than 30 metres away from the goal posts, because in the back of our minds we know he can't kick that far.

If he can maintain the 80%+ mark for the whole season, I'm on board with him being a good goal kicker, just need some more sample size.

He is kicking at 81% this year. Last year he nailed 42/53 at 79%. These are fair sample sizes. He isn't exactly taking 5 shots a year at goal. Whilst you think distance is an issue with his kicking, its more accuracy he is worried about. He sacrifices power in the kick to kick it straight. They did an interview with him a while back and that what he said. He said the kicking coach was more worried about getting his technique perfect rather than the power component. I think he has the leg to kick one from 40 out if need be.

Any stats on what percentage fail to make the distance? His aim seems pretty damn good, just his power that lets him down.

Very serious.
Getting rid of the only guy that gets over 80% conversion rate in the team would make no difference in the Goal Kicking department... ok then.

Just for comparison purposes, Milford and Hunt are both below 70%.

He is kicking at 81% this year. Last year he nailed 42/53 at 79%. These are fair sample sizes. He isn't exactly taking 5 shots a year at goal. Whilst you think distance is an issue with his kicking, its more accuracy he is worried about. He sacrifices power in the kick to kick it straight. They did an interview with him a while back and that what he said. He said the kicking coach was more worried about getting his technique perfect rather than the power component. I think he has the leg to kick one from 40 out if need be.

Worth noting that we took a lot more penalty goals than anyone except for the Sharks last year, so 79% may be slightly inflated. I appreciate that he goes for accuracy over power, but to be a great goal kicker you need a balance of both, look at guys like Reynolds & Maloney, they can kick it from 40 out and still be as straight as an arrow.

The point I think SF was making is that whilst Kahu may be in the upper-middle of the field for goal kickers % wise, if we lost him we certainly aren't losing an invaluable asset that can't be replaced, I'm sure Milford with a bit of practice could kick it in the high 70's to low 80's reliably.

Getting rid of the only guy that gets over 80% conversion rate in the team would make no difference in the Goal Kicking department... ok then.

Just for comparison purposes, Milford and Hunt are both below 70%.

Kahu for his career is a 76.9% goal kicker, meanwhile Milford is kicking 79.1% in his 3 seasons at the Broncos. Stats can easily be skewed to favour one person or the other. I think it's a genuine point SF is raising.

Kahu for his career is a 76.9% goal kicker, meanwhile Milford is kicking 79.1% in his 3 seasons at the Broncos. Stats can easily be skewed to favour one person or the other. I think it's a genuine point SF is raising.
I don't play silly buggers with stats. In the case at hand, stats are perfectly relevant, unlike many others, where multiple factors are of influence. BTW, Milford's career is 68% (73% since he came to the Broncos).

In the last 2 years, where Kahu is first kicker, and Milford second, the percentages are:

Kahu: 80% (75/94)
Milford: 72% (16/23)

He's keeping up with the likes of Maloney, Reynolds, Thurston, Gordon and Hodkinson (Cleary is killing it at 93% so far this season) in that period as well.

Add to that, Milford has not converted a single goal from within 10 meters of either sideline, which makes him useless when it comes to distance and angle, certainly much more than Kahu.

Add to that, Milford has not converted a single goal from within 10 meters of either sideline, which makes him useless when it comes to distance and angle, certainly much more than Kahu.

You might want to retract that statement...

You might want to retract that statement...
Alright, I may not be 100% accurate here, as memory may betray me, but I doubt I am that far away from the truth. Did he actually convert a sideline kick?

I don't play silly buggers with stats. In the case at hand, stats are perfectly relevant, unlike many others, where multiple factors are of influence. BTW, Milford's career is 68% (73% since he came to the Broncos).

In the last 2 years, where Kahu is first kicker, and Milford second, the percentages are:

Kahu: 80% (75/94)
Milford: 72% (16/23)

He's keeping up with the likes of Maloney, Reynolds, Thurston, Gordon and Hodkinson (Cleary is killing it at 93% so far this season) in that period as well.

Milf is 19/25 at the Broncos, 76%, not sure where I got 79% from. Also not sure where you got 72% from, haha. Stats are a pain in the ass.

The point that's trying to be made is that whilst Kahu is obviously a better goal kicker, he's not Adam Reynolds, we can probably cover for him if it comes down to it, or alternatively we could just sign a goal kicker, which people have been begging for since as long as I can remember.

I can't believe there are different stats for Goal Kicking out there. How fucking hard is it to get that one right?
BTW, 16/22=72% (according to rugby league project)

Reynolds was worse than Kahu last year, but he's obviously at the very top with Thurston, Hodko, Gordon and Cleary. The fact that Kahu is averaging the same as those guys in the last 2 seasons should say something.

I can't believe there are different stats for Goal Kicking out there. How fucking hard is it to get that one right?

Reynolds was worse than Kahu last year, but he's obviously at the very top with Thurston, Hodko, Gordon and Cleary. The fact that Kahu is averaging the same as those guys in the last 2 seasons should say something.

19/25, you're discounting his 3/3 in 2015 for the Broncos, stats also came from RL Project.

19/25, you're discounting his 3/3 in 2015 for the Broncos, stats also came from RL Project.
Ah, yes I did.

It's still a relatively small sample, which would go down with more kicking, especially from the sideline, which is the only position Kahu sometimes falters from, like most prolific kickers.

Rounds up to 73% with real maths.

Now we're at 76% even.

Any more takers?

kahu in my opinion is up there with the best goal kickers in the comp

Rounds up to 73% with real maths.

Now we're at 76% even.

Any more takers?
LOL, Morks showing me up in maths... this world is coming to an end! :whatwouldjareddo:

Power will come...accuracy is key. Not much use if he can bang it out of the grandstand, but doesn't get it to go through the sticks first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Behold
  • Maddy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • sooticus
  • Splinter
  • BroncoFan94
  • LittleDavey
  • achievedrap
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bronx48
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • rj9
  • mystico
  • Bish
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.