Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's deadset on returning to Sydney, then I guess a 1 year deal is the best outcome possible. It sures up our middle until some of our young props get some gametime under the belt, which negates the loss of Lodge when the time comes.

If he's deadset on returning to Sydney, then I guess a 1 year deal is the best outcome possible. It sures up our middle until some of our young props get some gametime under the belt, which negates the loss of Lodge when the time comes.

Yeah understandable reasoning BUT Joffa and TPJ are both ready to start, might as well give Joffa the shot and retain Sims instead. Plus Haas, Flegler and Carrigan are three other guys who need to be phased in as well. Even without Sims, Thaiday and Lodge, there’s still quite a bit of depth there.

I like lodge, but I actually wouldn't bother for just an extra year.

We are making a mistake.

Blindside: Latest NRL gossip and inside info

PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
July 13, 2018
BRONCOS LODGE SHORT OFFER

MATT Lodge has had an outstanding maiden year at Red Hill given his off-field ordeal but the Broncos are taking a cautious approach.

Blindside can reveal the off-contract Lodge won’t walk out on the club, but the Broncos will only table a 12-month extension for next season.

A fortnight ago, the Broncos gave Lodge a small pay rise for this year after the club finally brokered a compensation deal with his American victims.

There were reports Lodge would receive a multi-year upgrade in the coming weeks pending NRL approval, but the Broncos will only table a one-year offer.

source: Courier Mail

July 13, 2018

MATT Lodge has had an outstanding maiden year at Red Hill given his off-field ordeal but the Broncos are taking a cautious approach.

Blindside can reveal the off-contract Lodge won’t walk out on the club, but the Broncos will only table a 12-month extension for next season.

A fortnight ago, the Broncos gave Lodge a small pay rise for this year after the club finally brokered a compensation deal with his American victims.

There were reports Lodge would receive a multi-year upgrade in the coming weeks pending NRL approval, but the Broncos will only table a one-year offer.

Yeah, it's a mistake on the Broncos end.

He's the best prop we've had since Petero.

Yeah, it's a mistake on the Broncos end.

He's the best prop we've had since Petero.

I don't know why we would need to take a "cautious approach" in the first place ... if they are not sure about him after working with him for the last couple of years, then they will never be sure about him

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on that article. It has no substance, no quotes, it's a small part of a bigger article so the writer is leaning on the ambiguity....I seriously doubt Bennett would let Lodge walk after seeing the year he's had. Why cop so much flak for signing him in the first place if we weren't gonna get the most out of him?

July 13, 2018

I can't believe this guy still gets paid

Edit: Badel if anyone cares.... including Badel. ...who could in fact be reading this

:hello:

Last edited:
I don't know why we would need to take a "cautious approach" in the first place ... if they are not sure about him after working with him for the last couple of years, then they will never be sure about him

So you believe the media now after telling most not too ??

Haha what's with all the love for Lodge?
I hope this 1 year deal is his last here at the broncos.. We don't need him like we used to.

We have a lot of depth in terms of big middle forwards that can dominate.

We actually don't need to stoop so low to get one.

Weren't they offerring him 500k? How much does he want? He's not worth more than 300 atm, and that's mostly factoring in potential.
Id say $500,000 is spot on. He hasnt shown any magical talent but he is a hard hitting edge man who can run good lines, play 80 mins, and is dynamite in defence. For a 20 year old, thats impressive when he has played nearly the whole season in that role. If he was in and out of the team id say it was a gamble, but he has played nearly 30 games now and has played week after week
Haha what's with all the love for Lodge?
I hope this 1 year deal is his last here at the broncos.. We don't need him like we used to.

We have a lot of depth in terms of big middle forwards that can dominate.

We actually don't need to stoop so low to get one.
while I agree we dont “need” him, he has been awesome this year and his re-signing would be a big bonus. He has been unreal this year. Exactly what we needed. 2 years would be the minimum deal Id want him on but I can also see why they may do a 1 year deal. Haas is coming off contract next year too, and it may be that we need that money to keep him if he continues to show what he did his first 3 game. Haas wont be at lodge’s consistency (this is what has impressed me the most) for at least 3-4 years though, and despite his great first few games long term injuries at this time in his career can be completly career defining if they dont deal with them well. Not saying this one is but if he comes back and gets another long term injury next year it may well create a mental block so its still a gamble with him. Lodge isnt a gamble anymore on the field, off the field he just needs to stay off the drink.

We have amazing young talent coming through but they shouldnt just waltz into a spot, the competiton is what makes hem better when are people going to realize this. Also, lodge is about 2-4 years ahead of most of them in regards to where he is at as a player.

I'm happy to keep him purely for the salt factor. The fact that he's been great for us is just a bonus.

On the article, perhaps we're looking at signing him for 2yrs with a year in our favour or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.