Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think its a fair point BP that if he wanted to go home he shouldnt have taken up his option for 2021. After he did this i dont think he should expect us to pick up a portion of his salary so he can leave after he activated his option for next year.

It would be a selfish move from him, but the Broncos need to think about what's best for them moving into 2022. Allowing this to fester is only going to make things worse long term.

I'd like to think Bird taking the PO shows he's actually keen to have one good season and repay the club for everything they've done for him. However there is definitely a scenario where letting him go isn't the worst idea in the world.

I do think its a fair point BP that if he wanted to go home he shouldnt have taken up his option for 2021. After he did this i dont think he should expect us to pick up a portion of his salary so he can leave after he activated his option for next year.
Yeah that's the crux of it really, it's not like this is year 4 and he's been held to ransom, he literally just took out an option in his favour to stay.

If that option was taken because he wants the money but doesn't really want to play the football for it, then I think the club have every right to push back on that.

It would be a selfish move from him, but the Broncos need to think about what's best for them moving into 2022. Allowing this to fester is only going to make things worse long term.

I'd like to think Bird taking the PO shows he's actually keen to have one good season and repay the club for everything they've done for him. However there is definitely a scenario where letting him go isn't the worst idea in the world.

Dont disagree mate that we cant let things fester. I do think on one hand that we do need to show we arent going to be pushed around and taken for a ride by any player. If the group and leadership right from the top can show a bit of strength and togetherness i dont think even if Bird kicked up a stink it would affect us. At the same time, we need to show we can put the best interests of a player at heart if the situation demands it. From a personal point of view, speaking hypothetically of course, i think he should remain a Broncos player next year now he has taken his option for good or bad, unless somebody takes on his entire contract. Hopefully you are on the money and he wants to show everyone at the Broncos he is a good player.

Ok ok, another team list (given Staggs is gone for a lot of next year):

1. Allan
2. Farnworth
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan
11. Glenn (c)
12. TPJ
13. Haas

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Tolman
17. Riki

I really think Tommy is going to give the game away tbh. New baby on the way and his partner is from up North. I'm just not seeing him moving. He turned down the contract from NQ because he was disillusioned with his treatment up there and once he did he never got picked again, and i think he is just disillusioned with the game as a whole now.

I really think Tommy is going to give the game away tbh. New baby on the way and his partner is from up North. I'm just not seeing him moving. He turned down the contract from NQ because he was disillusioned with his treatment up there and once he did he never got picked again, and i think he is just disillusioned with the game as a whole now.

That's a shame but Herbie is a more than decent back up option.

If we pay a single cent of his salary, it is an absolute disgrace and any vestige of good will to the bloke will be totally gone.

He has barely been on the field while we've paid his constant rehab, THEN takes up his player option while EVERY year while here constantly talk about wanting to go back to Sydney. So he takes up his player option and THEN leaves and get half his CHOSEN salary paid for by our club. Screw that! There is zero value whatsoever in this for the club.

AND if he goes back to Cronulla on a heavily subsidized wage after how they handed him off to us in the first place, it will be yet another of many blights on this pathetic administration of this club. Grow a backbone and hold him to his CHOSEN year of contract or he voluntarily gets released. We should not pay a single cent.
If the club allow this, they should stipulate he's not allowed to play against us next year.

I hope you are right about him wanting to prove himself but again, I am not saying it is hold him to his contract no ifs or buts, the but is that if he wants to leave he can but he forfeits his entire contract with us next year.

Innefective in what way? He averages about 140 meters a game. His defence is solid and he just gets his work done without much fuss. Exactly the type of player we need right now to help out with our lack of experience and our poor defence. For the right price on a 12 month deal I cant see a downside.
100 of those metres are 4th tackle hit ups that hinder their team massively. His tackles aren't dominant, they're more Nathan Hindmarsh-like and he doesn't get them on their back. Bulldogs fans can't wait to get rid of him, if they don't want him then we shouldn't either.

If we pay a single cent of his salary, it is an absolute disgrace and any vestige of good will to the bloke will be totally gone.

He has barely been on the field while we've paid his constant rehab, THEN takes up his player option while EVERY year while here constantly talk about wanting to go back to Sydney. So he takes up his player option and THEN leaves and get half his CHOSEN salary paid for by our club. Screw that! There is zero value whatsoever in this for the club.

AND if he goes back to Cronulla on a heavily subsidized wage after how they handed him off to us in the first place, it will be yet another of many blights on this pathetic administration of this club. Grow a backbone and hold him to his CHOSEN year of contract or he voluntarily gets released. We should not pay a single cent.
I've said it before but you shouldn't be able to activate your player option then leave and expect it to be valid.

If the club allow this, they should stipulate he's not allowed to play against us next year.
He'll be injured that round anyway

edit - doh

Last edited:
100 of those metres are 4th tackle hit ups that hinder their team massively. His tackles aren't dominant, they're more Nathan Hindmarsh-like and he doesn't get them on their back. Bulldogs fans can't wait to get rid of him, if they don't want him then we shouldn't either.

Him getting the ball on the 4th, if thats correct, is more on the halves steering the team around rather than the player. Still feel we need a few blokes who just do all the little things on and off the field right. He's one of those blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• bazza
  • Mustafur
  • Skathen
  • Battler
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • heartly87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.