Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
If it came to hunt or Cooper I'd pick Cooper anyday... Hunt has no imagination and couldn't break the line if his life depended on it.. Yes he saves the day occasionally. BUT that's all he's proved up until now

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Union tactics aside he can't tackle

Jump back a few years and yeah you're right, this season however he must of done something as has been making some great tackles and try savers. I like reading people back out the tackling skills of halves already, Locky copped the same shit and generally had Tunza 'protecting' him. Glenn could do the same for Cooper.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
If it came to hunt or Cooper I'd pick Cooper anyday... Hunt has no imagination and couldn't break the line if his life depended on it.. Yes he saves the day occasionally. BUT that's all he's proved up until now

I'd rather both.

1. Barba
6. Cooper
7. Hunt
9. Granville

However I wouldn't complain if Cooper stayed at the Reds either, He is a big part of that team and is one of the reasons for Unions rise in QLD.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I don't get why the want Hunt in the halves... He has showed nothing at all. . He is living in what he did in the under 20s. . He's just an average back up hooker that should be moved on... Baptise or Granville would make him look ordinary. .. The only reason the Broncos are persisting with him is because Griffin coached him in the20s and he's showing his faith... Like someone said earlier. . You can't get dropped from this team no matter how bad you perform!

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
I just watched a number of match highlights with Hoffa at FB. He did a great job, as did a number of other players many allege have no talent (like Gillett).

He timed his runs well in 2nd man plays (initiated by Lockyer) and scored a few great tries when he was up in the line. Same as Gillett running off .... you guessed it. Lockyer

This just tells me again that our slide, our very very real slide happened with the loss of our only real play maker, leader and organizer - a loss which has been felt so severely by the whole team, as well as by a number of individuals like Hoffman and Gillett who Lockyer positioned perfectly in some terrific plays.

The fact is as bald as Henjak: we haven't had a decent play maker and organizer since Lockyer retired and until we get one, we will always remain also-rans.

As for Hoffman, I have now changed my opinion of him as Norman's replacement. I reckon he will do well, and this season on the wing will have boosted his confidence sky high.

As for our halves, and the performances of Gillett and Glenn since Locky left, it just shows again how critical a decent playmaker is in setting up plays for back rowers on the edges and close to the line when they run onto a perfectly timed short pass.

For mine, we need a half and a prop. I reckon Hoffman will do just fine at the back but without a play maker, this team is doomed to be just not good enough to make the finals. Maybe the top 8, but I doubt any further unless Prince improves 200%

Lovely post.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Imo, and I've been harping on about it for a while, we ruined Hunts (and to a lesser extent, Normans) development. Hunt should have been in Qcup for the first year or 2 of his post 20's career earning his spot. Forcing him to play hooker instead of learning/honing his skills in a "softer" division, as a half, has done so much damage it's not funny.

Of what's available, Williams is my pick. The kid has talent and from what I can tell, Canberra are going to do whatever they can to keep Milford. Don't get me wrong, Andrew Gee please play the family card and try and get him up here, but I just don't see it happening. Who are we tipping as FB next year gents?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Who are we tipping as FB next year gents?

Provided we don't sign anyone, it's likely going to be between Hoffman and Kahu. With the current structure, I'd give Kahu a shot first - Hoffman is going great on the edges, and our gameplan and halves are too terrible to not have someone who knows how to draw and pass.

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
Quade doesn't have to defend in the front line, he could play fullback. He'd get the ball at second receiver and with more space, he could go pretty damn well.

Agree 100%

I'd be in favour of having a crack at Quade ... 2 year deal max then in Broncos favour

No boxing

What I would be scared of, would be the attachment to Nasser and friends ... that could be worse than any Albert Kelly/Josh Dugan combo mutant cancer

"If" Quade worked ... would be like buying Ben Barba and a half all in one ... I'd then be looking for a prop and a strike back - even a replacement for Yow Yeh might be enough ... but somebody with genuine pace or elusiveness ... or Jack Wighton :001_tt2:

Wallace, Hunt and Prince can steer us around ok, its only when they are asked to be creative that they suck collectively

do we have enough cap space for a hooker also ? :scared:

I guess not

Oink !

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
Hoffman is if anything, too fearless at fullback and gets himself smashed too much ... he is going really well now ... leave him where he is

Oink !

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
They appear to be getting Nikorima ready for fullback in the 20s as an emergency fallback

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
They appear to be getting Nikorima ready for fullback in the 20s as an emergency fallback

ball playing skills are one thing but another essential skill for a fullback is pace. That is why the best ones are so good at support play. I've heard Nikorima isn't quick and often compared with Norman. It will be sad if we go down that track. An injection of speed from fullback would be better for us than a ball playing fullback who is slow IMO.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
If we don't geta new fullback next year we will miss the finals again. . That's for sure

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hoffman is if anything, too fearless at fullback and gets himself smashed too much ... he is going really well now ... leave him where he is

Oink !

For the moment, yes

I reckon he lost so much confidence in large part when Inglis deliberately and very effectively monstered him. But as I posted above, give him good play makers and organizers and he will do as well as Norman in 2nd man plays.

Oh, I forgot ... we don't and won't have any good play makers. So yes, leave him on the wing where he is going so well.

Kahu? I can just see Inglis's mouth watering, and Kahu for mine looks bored most of the time despite playing some clever football. But why not put him at the back. He needs to taste what it's like being monstered.

(I didn't mention Dugan once ... ah, dammit, I just did - sorry BP)

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If we don't geta new fullback next year we will miss the finals again. . That's for sure

Not if we get a good play maker and organizer which we won't, so yes, we will miss the finals again, starting this year unless the miraculous happens and Hook decides to change what clearly isn't working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• marw
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.