Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see us losing Copley (unless we wanted to). He just started Uni in Brisbane as well apparently, looks pretty settled.

Yeah Copley isn't leaving. To be honest, I don't think we will lose anyone we want to keep.

Yeah, they said he was starting Law.

Yeah sames. In a world where Sandow is $550k, Norman is $450k, Widdop is $550k, Carney is $750k, Cronk is $625k, Mullen is $550k, then $500k for Hunt would be an excellent result for both parties.

that's completely fucked up....

that's completely fucked up....

In fairness to the Sharks, he was re-signed when he was the best half NSW had. And at a time where the ASADA problems threatened to put half of their team on the sidelines. They had to just bend over & pay whatever he wanted. With their players fit, the Sharks are a top 6 team. Without Carney they're bottom 4.

Didn't they have to pay big money beacuse the Warriors had put in a big offer for him last time his contract was up? I think it was the Warriors anyway.

You've gotta do what you can do get the best halves if you want to win premierships. Cronk wasn't available for the Sharks. No one knew Carney would decline so much.

You've gotta do what you can do get the best halves if you want to win premierships. Cronk wasn't available for the Sharks. No one knew Carney would decline so much.

Speak for yourself ......

He's been overated for a long time and the decline IMO, isn't so sudden.

IN AN extraordinary pay bump, Ben Hunt’s salary is set to double as rival clubs prepare to throw $450,000 a year to sign the star Bronco.

Boom prop Josh McGuire is another player in a bull market — he is already being eyed by two western Sydney NRL clubs who are prepared to offer significant cash for the Aspley junior.

The form of the two 24-year-olds is a gift and a curse for Brisbane. Hunt and McGuire are having their best seasons and helping their club to a better than expected start to the year, but their star turns will result in major offers from rival clubs.

They are off contract at the end of next year.

Rival clubs can begin negotiating from November, but their managers want to open extension talks with the Broncos now. The longer the Broncos wait, the more expensive their offer will need to be as the pair gain greater recognition in Sydney.

It is understood both Hunt and McGuire thought they would be having extension talks with the club by now. Their first preference is to remain in Brisbane.

McGuire earns about $250,000 per year while Hunt currently earns around $200,000 per season.

Hunt’s current two-year contract was signed midway through last year when he was only an interchange hooker.
Now he is the star No. 7 for the fifth-placed Broncos.

Hunt is currently ranked fifth in Dally M Medal voting.

The fact he is ahead of stars Cooper Cronk, Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis speaks volumes of his quality.

Newcastle and Canterbury both tabled offers for Hunt last year, and with Trent Hodkinson also off-contract at the end of next season, Des Hasler could make a play for the Dingo-raised star again.

Considering the salary cap increases, Hunt’s price tag doubling could be conservative.

St George Illawarra signed Gareth Widdop on a four-year $2.2 million deal late last year.

Last month, the Dragons paid almost $500,000 a season for Benji Marshall, while the Raiders have forked out $600,000 for James Tedesco.

Peter Nolan, the Broncos list and recruitment manager following Andrew Gee’s resignation, is expected to open negotiations with Hunt and McGuire in the coming weeks.

Error Page

Is Ben Hunt worth that much a season?

Last edited:
Ben Hunt isn't worth that much. At 450,000$ you would think he has won a premiership and played origin and tests for Australia. He has been showing very good form of late and we've finally found a halfback we can settle on but offering him that can negatively affect his play.

Ben Hunt isn't worth that much. At 450,000$ you would think he has won a premiership and played origin and tests for Australia. He has been showing very good form of late and we've finally found a halfback we can settle on but offering him that can negatively affect his play.

That's what I'm afraid of.

I know good halves are rare these days, but I don't want the Broncos to fall into the trap of paying massive overs for someone that turns out to be a flop. Sharks did that and now look at them.

It's a risky move. It could work out, but there is a chance it won't.

I'm not sure about Zero tackles credibility, young Nicholls signed a deal which sees him through to the end of 2015 and not to the end of 2014 as they have reported. I'd like to see him given a chance but changing a team which has now won three in a row is problematic.

Effective 7s are worth spending money on and 450/500 a season would be fair recompense for Hunt. Considering how long he has waited and how long he has been playing out of his preferred position I would think a substantial offer would be appropriate . It will need to be too as he will likely get offers closer to 600 k a season.

Last edited:

Welcome to the world of professional sports, where taking a punt and securing a guy in form will cost more than you'd like to spend. I'd rather the club took the chance and risked 500k than have them let the first good half we've had since Locky walk away.

Langer, Walters, Lockyer, Hunt... I'm willing to risk 500k on the kid in hopes that in a few years time his name alongside those three guys doesn't look out of place. It beats the chance of a Hoffman/Milford combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • spanky
  • Allo
  • TimWhatley
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Harry Sack
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.