Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN AN extraordinary pay bump, Ben Hunt’s salary is set to double as rival clubs prepare to throw $450,000 a year to sign the star Bronco.

Boom prop Josh McGuire is another player in a bull market — he is already being eyed by two western Sydney NRL clubs who are prepared to offer significant cash for the Aspley junior.

The form of the two 24-year-olds is a gift and a curse for Brisbane. Hunt and McGuire are having their best seasons and helping their club to a better than expected start to the year, but their star turns will result in major offers from rival clubs.

They are off contract at the end of next year.

Rival clubs can begin negotiating from November, but their managers want to open extension talks with the Broncos now. The longer the Broncos wait, the more expensive their offer will need to be as the pair gain greater recognition in Sydney.

It is understood both Hunt and McGuire thought they would be having extension talks with the club by now. Their first preference is to remain in Brisbane.

McGuire earns about $250,000 per year while Hunt currently earns around $200,000 per season.

Hunt’s current two-year contract was signed midway through last year when he was only an interchange hooker.
Now he is the star No. 7 for the fifth-placed Broncos.

Hunt is currently ranked fifth in Dally M Medal voting.

The fact he is ahead of stars Cooper Cronk, Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis speaks volumes of his quality.

Newcastle and Canterbury both tabled offers for Hunt last year, and with Trent Hodkinson also off-contract at the end of next season, Des Hasler could make a play for the Dingo-raised star again.

Considering the salary cap increases, Hunt’s price tag doubling could be conservative.

St George Illawarra signed Gareth Widdop on a four-year $2.2 million deal late last year.

Last month, the Dragons paid almost $500,000 a season for Benji Marshall, while the Raiders have forked out $600,000 for James Tedesco.

Peter Nolan, the Broncos list and recruitment manager following Andrew Gee’s resignation, is expected to open negotiations with Hunt and McGuire in the coming weeks.

Error Page

Is Ben Hunt worth that much a season?

Without a doubt. In fact if they manage to sign him for 450k it will be a bargain

Ben Hunt isn't worth that much. At 450,000$ you would think he has won a premiership and played origin and tests for Australia. He has been showing very good form of late and we've finally found a halfback we can settle on but offering him that can negatively affect his play.

You're kidding right. This isn't 2010 anymore. I honestly don't know what to say to this.

A half that has won a premiership, played origin and for australia wouldn't sign anything for under 800k.

If you weren't such a great and prolific contributor to this forum I would think you are trolling

Hunt will stay for $400k. His hero is Darren Lockyer. He's stayed at the club on **** all for years when he could have left for Newcastle at the end of last year to make double what he's making now, to be coached by Wayne Bennett. And look, if I'm wrong, I'm happy to pay whatever he wants really. $500-$600k wouldn't be out of the question. I think he's a great of the game in the making. He'll partner DCE in the halves for QLD very soon.

We need to lock in our future player, but also retain some experience. You see how much of a difference Thaiday makes to our pack - his game against Manly was immense. We must retain Thaiday. We should also retain Hannant, IMO. He's one of those experienced heads that will give the younger guys the talk they need as they're coming through in the next 1-2 seasons. Thaiday and Hannant are musts for a further 2 years, IMO.

Speaking of our future players; guys like Hunt, McCullough, Oates, McGuire - these guys are the foundation that our club will be built on for the next 8-10 years.

Copley is a must keep. As I've said before, he's a Justin Hodges clone with that right foot step and fend. He can stay on the wing for the next year or two and learn from Justin.

I think Vidot is a must keep too. Not since the Sailor/Tuqiri days have we made such good meters on kick returns and coming out of our own half. The guy is a keeper and he's still only 23. Yeah, okay, not the flashiest guy ever, but his meters are invaluable, IMO.

I think we need to try to keep Hoffman if we can too. Obviously he *shouldn't* be playing 5/8 next season, but I'd love it if he stayed on to make the Wing position his own. He can be the best Winger in the comp. If he commands too much money though, I don't think he's worth it. Not when we have Hunt, Barba and Milford all at the club.

Last edited:
That's what I'm afraid of.

I know good halves are rare these days, but I don't want the Broncos to fall into the trap of paying massive overs for someone that turns out to be a flop. Sharks did that and now look at them.

It's a risky move. It could work out, but there is a chance it won't.

450k for a good half isn't even close to overs.

Out of interest what do you think he is worth?

We don't know how much of a realistic option DCE still is, so if some club with an idiotic recruitment strategy (Eels, Canberra, Sharks, arguably the Dogs and Warriors) comes knocking with an over the top offer I would try and tie up DCE. This is all assuming that we are as close to getting him as some of the so called experts say we are. I really like Ben Hunt, but he hasn't really earned 600k+ a season if we are going to sign a CC medal winning, test and origin player for 400k more. I still reckon we'll keep Hunt though, Parra and Canberra have spent too much cash, although I'm never one to rule Ricky out in terms of abject stupidity.

I think we need to try to keep Hoffman if we can too. Obviously he *shouldn't* be playing 5/8 next season, but I'd love it if he stayed on to make the Wing position his own. He can be the best Winger in the comp. If he commands too much money though, I don't think he's worth it. Not when we have Hunt, Barba and Milford all at the club.

And this lies the problem with recruiting/retaining players. In your well thought out post you've stated you'd like to see Copely stay on the wing and learn from Hodges for the next 2season, you've also stated how valuable Vidot is for us with his kick returns (on the wing). You've then gone on to say you'd like to retain Hoffman and if he stayed he would need to make the wing position his own.. That's three guys you want on our wings, unfortunately either one does have to leave or Reed/Hodges make way for one of them. (Personally prefer Copely in Reeds spot)

And this lies the problem with recruiting/retaining players. In your well thought out post you've stated you'd like to see Copely stay on the wing and learn from Hodges for the next 2season, you've also stated how valuable Vidot is for us with his kick returns (on the wing). You've then gone on to say you'd like to retain Hoffman and if he stayed he would need to make the wing position his own.. That's three guys you want on our wings, unfortunately either one does have to leave or Reed/Hodges make way for one of them. (Personally prefer Copely in Reeds spot)

Didn't even see that, thanks.

Yeah, you're right - it's a tough one!

Up until the Manly game, I would have been happy to cast Reed aside, however, he has shown he can be pretty handy. Having said that, I still think he's a Backrower and not a Centre.

Copley belongs on the right, IMO. His right foot step allows him to come back inside defenders and capitalise on lazy inside defenders, much the same way Hodges does. If we move him to the left, his step takes him towards the sideline, which is not ideal.

Maybe Hoffman could play Left Centre in place of Reed being that he's left handed, it helps with the put downs in the corner.

Or, as you said, we punt Reed to QCup, put Copley over on the left and Hoffman outside him.

This is why we're armchair experts and actual experts get paid the money to make these decisions.

The point I was making with Hoffman is, I still think he's a great player with a lot to offer. He has a great running game and is a good defender. It'd be a shame to see him go.

Last edited:
450k for a good half isn't even close to overs.

Out of interest what do you think he is worth?

550k for Widdop, a guy that has played international footy was considered to be massive overs.

How is 450k for a rookie half that hasn't even played finals footy in that position not overs?

IMO, at the moment he is not worth anything more than 300k.

550k for Widdop, a guy that has played international footy was considered to be massive overs.

How is 450k for a rookie half that hasn't even played finals footy in that position not overs?

550k for widdop was/is considered overs because like most that come out of melbourne it's easy to look like a superstar. Also he has played for England... so has jack reed yet every second week there is a 'reed to q cup' movement, so what does that tell you?

Currently this team is a ben hunt injury away from their season being over yet 450k is overs?

If you are familiar with the concept of supply and demand you wouldn't question how a quality half is worth at least 450k. Why do you think other clubs are looking to pay upwards of 600k for him? why do you think rival clubs were looking to pay upwards of 300k for him when he was a 20 minute bench hooker?

With all due respect SF, and don't get me wrong I do respect your opinion highly, if we offer him 300k we will be watching him putting in MOM performances elsewhere while we battle along with a halves pairing of hoffman and milford (if we are lucky)

At the moment on form and the fact he is discussed as the 3rd option at Halfback for QLD means he is worth the 450k, this is a breakout season for him and he's up there with the best in the game right now.

Sure he might choke in 2015, he might choke in 2016, he might also deliver a premiership in 2015 for us or another club.

450k for Hunt would be an absolute steal.

If he was a winger, or even a centre then yes, its potentially raised eyebrows time but 450k for someone who is your chief playmaker is nothing in the current salary cap climate.

If his form continues i wouldnt be surprised to see other clubs talking around the 600k mark for him.

Good young halfbacks do not come around often.

I can guarantee you this. If Hunt keeps playing the way he is at the moment then teams with the shit halves with cash to spend will come knocking at the end of the year. IMO teams like Canberra who have Q cup quality halves will offer massive money for him.

Anywhere between 450k -500k a year is a steal IMO. If he comes on the market at the end of the year I wouldnt be surprised to see offers over the 700k mark.

Let's put this a simple way....

If Ben Hunt goes down right now, what happens to our season?

I think we may need to brace our self for losing a player or 2 next year. We have a lot of our better players off contract.

Let's put this a simple way....

If Ben Hunt goes down right now, what happens to our season?

I dont even want to think about what would happen. Without a doubt he is the most important player in our team at the moment followed by McCollough. We have good depth in most other areas. You may argue that Granville is a good enough replacement but TBH he wont play 80mins the way Macca does.

On Hoffman, why is he playing predominantly on the left if he's a lefty? It makes sense for kicking but not for passing. Which is what he's most apprehensive about.

On Hoffman, why is he playing predominantly on the left if he's a lefty? It makes sense for kicking but not for passing. Which is what he's most apprehensive about.

His left foot step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Xzei
  • Dreaglor
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • mystico
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • porouian
  • Astro
  • Fitzy
  • Big Del
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.