Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm afraid of.

I know good halves are rare these days, but I don't want the Broncos to fall into the trap of paying massive overs for someone that turns out to be a flop. Sharks did that and now look at them.

It's a risky move. It could work out, but there is a chance it won't.

The difference between Ben Hunt and Brett Seymour and Tim Smith is that Hunt is a very committed and mature player who doesn't have any off field issues or has had any while on the other hand Seymour couldn't behave himself when on the drink and Smith was bi-polar.

Offering Hunt a deal like this is a gamble no doubt but there is a better chance of at paying of here than it did at Cronulla with Seymour and Smith.

It's probably a good thing in retrospect that Hunt has played so many games as a utility. Walker & Seymour had to mature into the halfback role as 'The next Alan Langer'. Hunt was able to mature as a player without that pressure and we are now seeing the rewards. Nobody's really mentioning him as the next Alan Langer, it's really more of - Broncos haven't had a halfback of this quality since Alan Langer. Big difference.

It's probably a good thing in retrospect that Hunt has played so many games as a utility. Walker & Seymour had to mature into the halfback role as 'The next Alan Langer'. Hunt was able to mature as a player without that pressure and we are now seeing the rewards. Nobody's really mentioning him as the next Alan Langer, it's really more of - Broncos haven't had a halfback of this quality since Alan Langer. Big difference.

Any small positive things like that are nothing compared playing 30 minutes a week in a completely different position.

In regards to Hunt possibly being worth 450K a season, the answer is clearly yes. Quality halves are a very rare thing in the modern game, you have to be prepared to pay overs for quality, and Hunt certainly looks quality atm.

Kennedy is on 400K and people were OK with that.

i think 450k for hunt is the perfect amount. any less i would actually think hunt wuold be getting very hard done by and wouldn't begrudge him to look for a new club. and you have to remember the salary cap is only goin to increase in the next few years

BRISBANE’s No.1 prop Josh McGuire will test his value on the open market as interest from rival NRL clubs pushes his price tag upwards of $400,000 a season.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos face a battle to retain McGuire, whose management has fielded three inquiries from Sydney-based outfits in the past month.And Queensland are also in danger of losing McGuire, with the front-row firebrand eligible to represent New Zealand at the end-of-year Four Nations tournament.At 24, McGuire is itching to break into the representative arena and can qualify for the Kiwis via his New Zealand-born mother Karlene if overlooked by the Maroons this year.

But McGuire’s more vexing concern is his future at Red Hill. Despite being Brisbane’s most consistent prop, he is one of the club’s lowest-paid starting forwards on $250,000 annually, earning less than a number of new recruits.NRL rivals cannot formally table offers to McGuire until November 1 but his manager Simon Mammino confirmed last night the 106kg enforcer is weighing up his future.Off-contract at the end of next season, McGuire now has family considerations, celebrating the birth of daughter Maiya last Friday week.
“There is interest in the marketplace and we’ll be conducting talks for his services beyond his current deal,” Mammino said.
“It will be a business decision for Josh, not an emotional one.
“Josh is happy at the Broncos, he’s had his best ever season so far, but he now has a young family to think about.
“In front-rower’s terms he has matured, he has served his apprenticeship.

“I’ve had some preliminary interest from a number of clubs and if Josh keeps doing what he does best, I expect the interest to get even stronger.”A number of Sydney clubs are known to be fans of McGuire, as is Broncos assistant Steve Kearney, who is also New Zealand’s head coach.The Aspley junior’s dream is to play Origin, but the Kiwis are sure to test McGuire’s loyalty for the Four Nations if he fails to crack the Maroons this season.
“Josh is definitely a Test-quality front-rower,” NZRL high-performance chief Tony Iro said.
“We are pretty well stocked in that area but if Josh indicates to us he is keen to play for the Kiwis, we’d love to have him on deck.”
Even if McGuire quits the Broncos, Maroons selection boss Des Morris hopes ‘The Big Show’ stays loyal to Queensland.
“Josh has several allegiances,” Morris said.
“I have no doubt sooner or later he will get there but whether it’s this year or down the track, none of us know.

“While Josh is going well, sometimes you have to wait your turn ... it all depends on form and opportunity.”

It's simple, keep McGuire, admit signing Kennedy was a huge mistake and try to get him released.

IMO, that is just a media beat-up/filler story. damn near every player in the game tests their value on the open market. Player managers want their clients to take the biggest offer, for their own financial benefit.

whether a player (or his manager) say so publicly or not, they always test their value, if for nothing else to give them ammunition when negotiating with the players current club

It's obvious where our problems exist in our squad, five-eighth and Front Row.....and Josh McGuire has held his own. Which usually means all the other front rowers are doing **** all. If we lose McGuire, we are going to be kicking from our own 20 a lot.

Just get him signed. The last thing we want is another Petero situation.

I honestly can't see McGuire leaving and I sure hope he doesn't, he's a legend and I never want to see him play for another club.

Hala re-signed for 12 months.

Hala re-signed for 12 months.

Interesting ... Only a 12 month contract.
Sounds like he's been giving a chance to prove his worth or else he'll be cut ?
Hopefully he can have a big year next year and stay with us.

Interesting ... Only a 12 month contract.
Sounds like he's been giving a chance to prove his worth or else he'll be cut ?
Hopefully he can have a big year next year and stay with us.

From what the CM said its a very small base salary with incentives based on performance and games played etc. good move for both parties I feel

i think its a good move from the club and good move from hala as well. we have been extremely patient with the guy more then other clubs would be. and its not his fualt he has so many injuries it just is what it is. im confident hala can still be the player alot of people are saying he can be. the guy just needs to stay on the footy field for more then 2 games in a row.

I love the guy so I'm glad he's sticking around. I guess it's one of those things where he hasn't done enough to warrant a big extension but also hasn't shown enough for other clubs to come knocking (also he didn't like Sydney while at the Roosters juniors). Injuries will do that I guess. I really want him to be that guy who can come out and just murder people on the field, break lines, bust tackles etc. I feel he needs to get angry too. And to be given the ball when we're inside the opposition 10. That's how he scored THAT try against St Merge

Last edited:
Hala is 25 now, its make or break time for him. If he doesn't produce in the next 18 months then time for the flick. Cant keep carrying dead weight at the club

haha we finally have a good playmaker but won't re-sign him because cherry-evans 'may' come here.

Gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Yem
  • Hurrijo
  • ettybay
  • mystico
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.