Broncos remain NRL's cleanest club

The real story will be told..... Not by the club I'm sure. Players are starting to share their stories and their cash deficits. Momentum is building!

You have a source for any of these unsubstantiated dooms day predictions?

Tuesday. Nothing in the papers yet. See you tomorrow.

Friends if mine heavily involved in the nrl community are saying this will be big :( though I'm not sure how in the now they are with qld clubs.

They also said the broncos aren't the only club in trouble.

Take it for what it's worth but i was one if the first people here to say the Barba singing was a sure thing (early last year) thanks to the same source.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! A 500,000k source!
Doubters have gone awfully quiet!
I guess you must hang out with the players to be this well informed, or you're just amusing yourself with baits...

BRONCOS founder Barry Maranta says the club’s senior executives must be sacked if an NRL investigation finds Queensland’s flagship club had cheated the salary cap.Maranta, whose links with the Broncos span almost 30 years, said the departure of master coach Wayne Bennett had eroded the club’s culture.
The Broncos are embroiled in the most serious salary cap probe in the club’s 26-year history as the NRL looks into payment irregularities totalling $450,000 over three years.Brisbane’s leagues club has also launched an investigation by a three-man audit team *examining a possible misuse of company funds.Maranta lauded the leadership of Broncos boss Paul White, but insisted heads must roll if the publicly-listed company was found guilty of an NRL salary-cap rort.
“No one should be *excused, a breach is a breach,’’ Maranta said.

Asked if senior executives should be sacked for a cap breach, he said: “Of course, yes. It’s a public company now and for that reason it has a number of masters.“The masters are not just the NRL, but the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange) and there are obligations as a public company. That’s why I am hoping there is an explanation that makes a lot more sense than I can see at the moment.“I think that (sacking Broncos officials) is a given if a breach has occurred.
“I know News Limited (majority shareholders of the Broncos and publishers of The Courier-Mail) wouldn’t be in the slightest bit amused by a *salary-cap investigation.
“The Broncos have a good board and an honourable CEO in Paul White so that’s what puzzles me.

“Something has happened. It just doesn’t add up to me.’’White has offered to co-*operate fully as forensic accountants dissect the books of Brisbane’s $34.9 million empire.The NRL last night confirmed the probe remains ongoing. Maranta, whose grandson Lachlan is a member of the NRL squad, fears the club has lost direction since Bennett left in 2008.
“His departure was a watershed moment for the Broncos. Most fans would agree with me that Wayne leaving was a major issue in altering the culture that had developed over 20 years,’’ Maranta said.
“The problem with the *demise of the Broncos over the last four or five years, I put it down to the removal of Wayne Bennett,” Maranta said.

“His departure was a watershed moment.”

Got a cryptic message that it's all tied to Milford. But not how we expect. More along the lines of a player manager close to a rival coach is the whistle blower even though that manager doesn't manage Milford or any of the Broncos in question. Also said that every club is cheating the cap but it's an open secret and dobbing on each other is opening a can of worms.

FYI the guy I heard this off is a volunteer with my dad and used to work with Graham Murray.

Got a cryptic message that it's all tied to Milford. But not how we expect. More along the lines of a player manager close to a rival coach is the whistle blower even though that manager doesn't manage Milford or any of the Broncos in question. Also said that every club is cheating the cap but it's an open secret and dobbing on each other is opening a can of worms.

So you could assume the rival coach is sticky. If this has been an open secret with all clubs and the coach & manager have broken that, I wonder what that means for the greater landscape?

How do you punish one club if they are all doing it?

What impact does this have on that coach?

What impact does it have on that manager? If he has broken a secret that everyone was happy with, I find it hard to believe that clubs would want to deal with his players

Oh yeah! A 500,000k source!
Doubters have gone awfully quiet!

Doubters have gone quiet because there has been no news, and no your nightly installments of bullshit are not considered news.

Obviously you are a true fan and not a troll given the sheer delight you seem to be getting out of this.

I look forward to tonights installment of nonsense and fear-mongering

So you could assume the rival coach is sticky. If this has been an open secret with all clubs and the coach & manager have broken that, I wonder what that means for the greater landscape?

How do you punish one club if they are all doing it?

What impact does this have on that coach?

What impact does it have on that manager? If he has broken a secret that everyone was happy with, I find it hard to believe that clubs would want to deal with his players

Hence why it's all gone quiet. It was never simple to begin with, but it may just be a pandora's box. Yeah the insinuation is that it was Ricky being Ricky, outsmarting everyone just so that we can't register Milford's contract and he'd have to stay in Canberra (as a half, you'd presume).

Journos have often spoken about the fact that you just can't compete for players without offering 'incentives'. I've always understood that players wouldn't speak up about it because it'd imply them or their teammates. But if that's the case, why haven't ex-players said anything? Especially disgruntled players like Chris Walker who bitched and moaned about every club that he felt wronged him.

Hence why it's all gone quiet. It was never simple to begin with, but it may just be a pandora's box. Yeah the insinuation is that it was Ricky being Ricky, outsmarting everyone just so that we can't register Milford's contract and he'd have to stay in Canberra (as a half, you'd presume).

Journos have often spoken about the fact that you just can't compete for players without offering 'incentives'. I've always understood that players wouldn't speak up about it because it'd imply them or their teammates. But if that's the case, why haven't ex-players said anything? Especially disgruntled players like Chris Walker who bitched and moaned about every club that he felt wronged him.

Funny thing is it won't stop us from registering milford. If there are any TPA's that arent legit, we just make them legit.

Funny thing is it won't stop us from registering milford. If there are any TPA's that arent legit, we just make them legit.

I know. But Sticky. Smartest in the room remember. Just wanted to make Milford aware that the Broncos are imploding and that the 3rd party deals are illegal and it'd just be safer to stay in Canberra where everything is warm and cozy...

Look forward to the flipside of this, Ricky has a short memory of his own shadiness. Backfires aplenty.

Strangely enough though, with the way he's always thrown big money at players, it would appear that these big contracts are all cap-compliant. Unless: a) He still needs illegal money on top of overs, or b) his clubs don't think he can cheat without being caught.

For mine, it stems from his ill-informed comment where he said that he "hopes other clubs include him in their cap for what the Raiders have offered". Insinuating that offering Milford $1-mill+ a season means that that's his market value, and the NRL must make sure other clubs have that much taken out of their cap if they sign him. It's really bugged him that someone has chosen family over a big contract, and he just has it in his head that it must be a ruse and Milford is just being paid outside the cap.

Unread

Active Now

• davidp
  • Skyblues87
  • teampjta
  • thenry
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • Pablo
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.