Broncos remain NRL's cleanest club

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The Broncos tipped off the nrl remember. This is nothing like ASADA.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Under NRL rules, lack of evidence is not an impediment to sanctions being enforced. Rather, the NRL can act against clubs if the evidence either directly or inferentially supports the conclusion that on the balance of probabilities, the contravention has occurred.

Error Page

That is the biggest load of shit ever ... basically they are saying: "you know what, we can't prove you've actually done anything wrong, but i think we'll punish you anyway"

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
But they would have to have strong circumstantial evidence, very strong otherwise they'll get the pants sued off them. The media keeps saying the Broncos 'May' have done his or that...they 'may' also have done nothing. I actually think the NRL is for once handling this well, they can't control what the media may or may not write.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The NRL may be able to push around the clubs but not all the clubs. They would have to tread very carefully when they take on the Broncos because raffertys rules just won't cut it. If we have done wrong as a club we must endure punishment but it had better be fair or the NRL will find itself in a fearsome fight.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
From the Daily Telegraph:
ANTHONY Milford travelled to Sydney on Wednesday to be grilled by the NRL as part of its probe into the Brisbane Broncos salary cap.

Understandably, the Raiders fullback was confused upon being told the investigation is looking at possible discrepancies between 2011 and 2014.

He’s not due to join Brisbane until next season, but the NRL are obsessed with why he knocked back a bigger offer to remain in Canberra.
Error Page
This is starting to sound like a fishing expedition.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Error Page

It amazes me why they can't get past why he would accept less to come here.

-better weather and lifestyle
-this is his home town
-this is the team he grew up supporting
-his family are here, which is a big thing in the Polynesian community
-his dad is sick
-the raiders are a joke
-he will get mentored by his idol

No, there must be another reason apparently.

The other thing I don't get is we here about players signing for less all the time. I'm assuming their next stop is Kevin Procters house to find out the REAL reason he stayed at the storm for less money

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Error Page

if they investigate the Broncos because Milford accepted less to play here, then:

they also have to investigate the Tigers for Tedesco accepting less
and the Storm for Proctor accepting less

Behold

Behold

BRL Player
Jun 13, 2012
Manly would lose premierships if they investigated players taking less to stay at a club.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Manly would lose premierships if they investigated players taking less to stay at a club.

I don't even understand why this is an issue for the NRL. If a player wants to intentionally keep their value low for the sake of staying at a club, that is none of the NRL's business.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't even understand why this is an issue for the NRL. If a player wants to intentionally keep their value low for the sake of staying at a club, that is none of the NRL's business.

maybe they want to make some work for the integrity unit ... because they are going to be busy investigation the clubs that convince the players to sign on for less ... especially if it was the Raiders making the massive offers.

here is a quote from a Roy Masters article .. and i think he is pulling figures out of his ass (or sensationalizing it for the sack of the DT selling papers)

NRL clubs, such as the Raiders and Storm, are monitoring the Broncos investigation closely, following rumours Canberra fullback Anthony Milford will be registered in Brisbane’s salary cap for $450,000, yet be paid $1.3 million

The Storm was stripped of the 2007 premiership for a breach of less than $500,000.

Read more: Wayne Bennett's hopes of Andrew Gee's return to Broncos dashed

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
It's dragging on a bit but it still feels like a massive beat up for mine. Brisbane and Gold Coast aren't going too well on the field, Cowboys are building to something but have been there before, so journos need to keep people interested somehow.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I don't get the terms beat up and nothing- clearly something is there or the Broncos would not have found it and dobbed themselves in to be investigated and conducted their own investigation.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
That article sounds like a piece of rubbish, why would Bennett want Gee back after all this going on in the background?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I don't get the terms beat up and nothing- clearly something is there or the Broncos would not have found it and dobbed themselves in to be investigated and conducted their own investigation.

Yeah but compare this to the Storm situation of 2010. No one had any idea until the day before Gallop announced the penalties. If there was anything sinister they would have found it by now. Brisbane dobbing themselves in is just them getting out in front of it.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Yeah but compare this to the Storm situation of 2010. No one had any idea until the day before Gallop announced the penalties. If there was anything sinister they would have found it by now. Brisbane dobbing themselves in is just them getting out in front of it.

Read the book storm cloud (terrific book btw)

Word was around for a month or so before 22/4 that the Storm were in strife and was in major trouble salary wise. The CFO cried his way home the day before the penalties were announced after he saw a young smiling fan marvelling at the Storm mock lockers at their offices.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
  • vertigo
  • Mustafur
  • Redfern_1980
  • mrslong
  • Sproj
  • upthebroncs
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrMoore
  • IceWorks
  • Waynesaurus
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.