Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to say it: getting rid of Matt Lodge was this season's turning point. The fucker is a suspension magnet and a bad influence in the team.

Jury's still out on TPJ.

The jury isnt still out on TPJ, he's still a suspension magnet as well!

The jury isnt still out on TPJ, he's still a suspension magnet as well!
Yeah, but is he worth it? He's scored two tries from three games off the bench for the Panthers. I would say, in the right environment given limited minutes as an impact player, probably yes. But I think we'll do just fine without him.

Yeah, but is he worth it? He's scored two tries from three games off the bench for the Panthers. I would say, in the right environment given limited minutes as an impact player, probably yes. But I think we'll do just fine without him.
Agreed. Penrith can afford that luxury signing, we can't. Lots of players could score for Penrith from the bench off the back their starting side. All our players that were on big or too much money and were underperforming needed to go. Bird, Lodge, TPJ, Boyd, Milford, Macca, Croft Oates. Oates is the last one we should move on.

Agreed. Penrith can afford that luxury signing, we can't. Lots of players could score for Penrith from the bench off the back their starting side. All our players that were on big or too much money and were underperforming needed to go. Bird, Lodge, TPJ, Boyd, Milford, Macca, Croft Oates. Oates is the last one we should move on.
Hard to say with Oates. Not sure we want to subsidize yet another to play for someone else. No other club would want him on what we're forking out.

On the other hand, he's an experienced Origin winger and former prolific try scorer. He SHOULD be fostering these rookie centres and fullback, getting them in position. His experience should be an asset out there.

Unfortunately, while he occasionally puts on a hit, takes a high ball, or generally asserts this authority, these occasions are too few. He's lost his speed, he's not fit and he gets beaten by his opposite number too often. Plus he seems to have done **** all in molding Herbie into someone who can feed him that perfect pass to put him away.

I think, unless Oates gets the shits and ***** off, he'll either be lining up on the wing for us or the Magpies next year. He's playing for his next contract now, and he won't be getting one on his 2021 form, so the incentive is there.

Oates is also the only player eligible for the salary cap discount for being with the club for over 8years. Another reason to keep him.

His 21' form has been really good, he still has his standard shitty error in him, but he is always providing great metres from trouble and quick play the balls. If we can resign him for 350k/yr, he is definitely worth a 3yr deal.

Well, in public they did because there would be a shitshow if it came out that Manly negotiated a move with him before they spoke to Brisbane. What you will find happened is Manly talked to Bullemor and his manager off the record, then Ethan would have had to approach the club for a release for 2022 for it to all be above board.
Is that not conspiring to break a contract??

Or will the NRL only look into teams that conspire on the record 🙄🙄🙄

No. He isnt. Despite what he does when he plays at his best, he is just too unreliable for the salary he earns. Look at his suspensions. Tells you all you need to know.

Is that not conspiring to break a contract??

Or will the NRL only look into teams that conspire on the record 🙄🙄🙄

It is, and it goes on all the time. The Broncos, like everyone else would know its happened, but you would be hard pushed to prove it. Its why Ethan had to make the first move in approaching the Broncos to ask for a release.

It is, and it goes on all the time. The Broncos, like everyone else would know its happened, but you would be hard pushed to prove it. Its why Ethan had to make the first move in approaching the Broncos to ask for a release.

It is also what’s happening with someone, most likely Roosters, and Haas at the moment. They’ve no doubt said we have this much for you, agitate for a release and it’s yours.

Unfortunately, they tried to do it through Weidler and he’s screwed it up by talking to Rooster affiliates as his sources.

It is also what’s happening with someone, most likely Roosters, and Haas at the moment. They’ve no doubt said we have this much for you, agitate for a release and it’s yours.

Unfortunately, they tried to do it through Weidler and he’s screwed it up by talking to Rooster affiliates as his sources.

No doubt. Bullemor hasnt done enough for us to stand our ground with yet. Payne is a different story and i hope if it comes to it we do hold strong.

Oates is also the only player eligible for the salary cap discount for being with the club for over 8years. Another reason to keep him.

His 21' form has been really good, he still has his standard shitty error in him, but he is always providing great metres from trouble and quick play the balls. If we can resign him for 350k/yr, he is definitely worth a 3yr deal.
I would much prefer a winger that doesn't have the errors. He drops easy catches in attack and defence and as you said there are one or two every game rather than the odd error here or there. This has been going on his whole career and in my view its not good enough. He can do some great things but fails at the basics regularly. I would move him on if we can and get a cheaper replacement who can do the basics

I would much prefer a winger that doesn't have the errors. He drops easy catches in attack and defence and as you said there are one or two every game rather than the odd error here or there. This has been going on his whole career and in my view its not good enough. He can do some great things but fails at the basics regularly. I would move him on if we can and get a cheaper replacement who can do the basics

I feel since he came back he’s been pretty good error-wise

At least there’s less of the ‘bad’ errors. He won’t ever be perfect because no winger won’t drop the ball

A cheaper replacement wouldn't do the work Oates does.
He does the basics for a winger he's 1st or 2nd to make a hit up coming out of our own end and makes it over the advantage line 99% of times and then some and forwards like Haas can go off the back of that not running it up after someone getting driven back he gets the sets off to a good start. He does the dirty work so the strike players like a Staggs don't have too. He's saved a minimum of atleast 6 tries.
When you touch the ball as much as him your bound to make a error every now and then.
Notice how the team has improved since Oates has been back in the side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.