Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think B Smith is a top 5 hooker and would be great for us. In particular he would be valuable for our attack close to their line.
Let's say he is top 5. He is still really close to Turpin in skill level. BS is going to command overs because he has a cult hero status. Going after someone like that, when we can keep Turpin on unders is just shithouse cap management. I don't understand the point of slightly improving 1 position with a big chunk of the salary cap, when we have so many other positions we need to strengthen. Hooker shouldn't be a discussion when the coach today said Isucko is currently the front runner for the 1 jersey. He will be the worst fullback in the comp, by a long way.

Let's say he is top 5. He is still really close to Turpin in skill level. BS is going to command overs because he has a cult hero status. Going after someone like that, when we can keep Turpin on unders is just shithouse cap management. I don't understand the point of slightly improving 1 position with a big chunk of the salary cap, when we have so many other positions we need to strengthen. Hooker shouldn't be a discussion when the coach today said Isucko is currently the front runner for the 1 jersey. He will be the worst fullback in the comp, by a long way.

Again, no one in the spine is even close to top 5, none of them are top 10, every single spine position needs to be up for review. Not only is Turpin not top 10, he is also injury prone and inconsistent.

B.Smith is not injury prone, is consistently excellent and provides excellent service. He is not a slight upgrade on Turpin, he is a significant upgrade.

That said, I'd still be holding back and going after Grant because this club needs to get back to being able to attract the best.

Turpin has done some good things, but his crisp service isnt as crisp as some of you lot like to make out. His decision making in terms of pass selection isnt that great either.

He has got a bit of leeway from fans for 2 reasons imo. The first is basically his style of play. He is all effort and competes for everything every time he goes out onto the field. Its also a weakness of his imo as he just burns himself out and his form generally drops for a couple of weeks. Its been happening to him ever since i started watching him regularly and taking notice of him in 2018. He needs to adapt his game a little to avoid this happening.

The second reason is because he isnt Andrew McCullough.
The only thing that I would say in defence of Turps is that he hasn't really had a solid run as the no. 1 hooker.

2019 he got a couple games after Seibold finally had enough of Macca... only for Dearden to get injured and eventually Turps going to halback for the rest of the year
2020 he got rounds 1 & 2 where he was ok from memory (scored a soft try vs cows... souths game may have been quiet after Croft was injured in the opening minutes and we lacked a cohesive attack from then on)... and then he broke his arm after 80mins against Eels and making 64 tackles. By the time he came back (round 10 or so??) the team was shot and then he broke his hand (I think??) and was done for the year

I don't know a lot about his juniors, but I think he came through as a halfback and has had 2-3 knee recos? before then being moved to hooker, but potentially storm were done with him after his injuries and moved their focus onto other prospects... noting that he was effectively a manufactured hooker at that point.

As with many things, 2020 was hugely disappointing for him, but it would've been interesting to see how he would've gone knowing he was the number 1 hooker and if he hadn't picked up the injuries.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, as I feel like I haven't really been able to see him play hooker for a prolonged period

One thing I like about him is that he brings quick line speed in defence and is very capable in defence, but I agree that he needs to manage himself better through a game.

I also think his service is perhaps a bit overrated... he's not out there firing 30m spiral passes from dummy half, which nowadays is an absolute necessity because it allows your half to receive it outside the first 2-3 defenders on the front foot. But as mentioned I feel like I haven't seen enough of him to be able to right him off just yet. I haven't seen a whole lot of BSmith's service in this respect either (primarily due to a lack of appearances at 9), but you would imagine he is aware of how important service is after learning off CS9

Hooker is far from the most pressing need, but B Smith is absolutely the best free agent currently on the market and we should be going after him... as with most things Broncos at the moment, the timing of BSmith entering the market is not that great for us, but we should be looking to pick him up

Last edited:
I successfully predicted on here that he’d go home not long into his Souths deal and he wasn’t worth the risk. He did exactly what I said and is now on his fifth club since 2018.

But I’m sure the two minute YouTube clip you watched told you more than I could.
I don’t know why you guys act so spicy. Go Gebbie!!! What a player!!

The only thing that I would say in defence of Turps is that he hasn't really had a solid run as the no. 1 hooker.

2019 he got a couple games after Seibold finally had enough of Macca... only for Dearden to get injured and eventually Turps going to halback for the rest of the year
2020 he got rounds 1 & 2 where he was ok from memory (scored a soft try vs cows... souths game may have been quiet after Croft was injured in the opening minutes and we lacked a cohesive attack from then on)... and then he broke his arm after 80mins against Eels and making 64 tackles. By the time he came back (round 10 or so??) the team was shot and then he broke his hand (I think??) and was done for the year

I don't know a lot about his juniors, but I think he came through as a halfback and has had 2-3 knee recos? before then being moved to hooker, but potentially storm were done with him after his injuries and moved their focus onto other prospects... noting that he was effectively a manufactured hooker at that point.

As with many things, 2020 was hugely disappointing for him, but it would've been interesting to see how he would've gone knowing he was the number 1 hooker and if he hadn't picked up the injuries.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, as I feel like I haven't really been able to see him play hooker for a prolonged period

One thing I like about him is that he brings quick line speed in defence and is very capable in defence, but I agree that he needs to manage himself better through a game.

I also think his service is perhaps a bit overrated... he's not out there firing 30m spiral passes from dummy half, which nowadays is an absolute necessity because it allows your half to receive it outside the first 2-3 defenders on the front foot. But as mentioned I feel like I haven't seen enough of him to be able to right him off just yet. I haven't seen a whole lot of BSmith's service in this respect either (primarily due to a lack of appearances at 9), but you would imagine he is aware of how important service is after learning off CS9

Hooker is far from the most pressing need, but B Smith is absolutely the best free agent currently on the market and we should be going after him... as with most things Broncos at the moment, the timing of BSmith entering the market is not that great for us, but we should be looking to pick him up
Dont get me wrong, I do like Turpin and I think he is a solid option. If Brandon Smith wasn't on the market I wouldn't be looking at hooker right now.

Asiata for 12 mths
I think it's a good signing and is basically zero risk for only 12 months... I think he will be hungry to deliver and signing a 12 month deal suggests it is reasonably cheap with Asiata believing in his own abilities to secure a higher paying long term deal after 2021

If he kills it we re-sign him knowing he can deliver, if he fails we don't re-sign him, if he has an average year then we re-sign him based on his output knowing he can provide solid cover in the middle.

The good thing with recruitment so far is we have been signing players for 1 year... Copley and Asiata. Apparently Mead would only be 1 year

Will be a lot of players coming off contract for us at the end of next year... chance to completely clean the slate and shape the team as Kevvie sees fit

Last edited:
Oates needs to add some skill to his game to be successful in the backrow. He is too prone to tucking the ball in both arms as crash ball, while this is effective close to the line I don't see him being very effective with ball in hand unless helping the backs work it out of trouble. Really needs to try and get an offload and pass into his game, if he can't he would be most effective playing in the middle.

Apparently Asiata is a done deal too and his motivation for leaving the cows was a desire to be starting lock. Along with Kevs comments that Isaako is front runner for fullback, Oates in the second row, TPJ being a middle, Lodge expected to lead the boys at training upon his return, Milford at 6, I think Kev’s plan for the team is becoming clearer.

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Copley
4. Niu/Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Lodge (c)
9. McCullough
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Asiata

14. Turpin/Paix
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. TPJ

For some reason I actually feel pretty positive about this team list. That forward pack is great if they learn to tackle, and there’s more experience across the park.

Last edited:
Apparently Asiata is a done deal too and his motivation for leaving the cows was a desire to be starting lock. Along with Kevs comments that Isaako is front runner for fullback, Oates in the second row, TPJ being a middle, Lodge expected to lead the boys at training upon his return, Milford at 6, I think Kev’s plan for the team is becoming clearer.

1. Isaako
2. Farnworth
3. Copley
4. Niu/Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Lodge (c)
9. McCullough
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Asiata

14. Turpin/Paix
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. TPJ

For some reason I actually feel pretty positive about this team list. That forward pack is great if they learn to tackle, and there’s more experience across the park.

Really skeptical about isaako at fullback, but I guess there isn’t anyone else so hopefully he can step up to the role.

Really skeptical about isaako at fullback, but I guess there isn’t anyone else so hopefully he can step up to the role.
Obviously it’s not ideal but he’s fairly safe when playing confident. We’d just need to compensate in other areas. Who knows though, a full preseason under a coach with half a brain and we may be pleasantly surprised

Xavier Coates visited Townsville and Cowboys HQ this week.

• Sad
Reactions: Gaz
Oates needs to add some skill to his game to be successful in the backrow. He is too prone to tucking the ball in both arms as crash ball, while this is effective close to the line I don't see him being very effective with ball in hand unless helping the backs work it out of trouble. Really needs to try and get an offload and pass into his game, if he can't he would be most effective playing in the middle.
Whilst i do agree oates needs to add to his game (particularly an offload as he will never be a ball player), i think we have too keep things simple for corey.

I would be getting him watching boyd corner's games. Which mainly entails, running good lines, hitting gaps, finding his front in tackles and getting a quick play the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • kiwibronco
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • Bish
  • Tristan1990
  • IceWorks
  • Rowdy124
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • mitch222
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Ondi
  • Volvo Driver
  • The Strapper
  • Santa
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.