Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier Coates visited Townsville and Cowboys HQ this week.
I hope he doesn't join the over-inflated self worth gang we have at the Broncos now after origin. He played well but there wasn't high expectations on him.
I fully respect his right to get the best value for himself but if he wants anymore then 400,000 I'd let him walk. He's an aerial weapon and....... Nothing else. His defence needs work, he needs to run straighter, and he needs to take the tough hit up out of our end. He also needs a little bit of improvement in positioning in attack, he is often caught in front of his centre.

What is with these players. They do realise they just "won" our 1st ever wooden spoon?! Staggs, farnworth, carrigan, dearden and Haas are the only players who could hold their heads high after last year. Maybe riki too... And I wouldn't even get into bidding wars for them as well. If a player was around when we got a spoon it means they won't get us off the bottom of the ladder so they aren't worth over paying for...

The big problem with investing in youth at the Broncos is unlike other clubs, as soon as you pull on a Broncos jersey it inflates your value due to exposure despite results and performances. This is what's happening to us. Stuff them, let someone else over pay

. I've never seen him play but they may have wraps on Palasia as well.
Imagine thinking anyone currently in the Broncos management could pull off a trade like Palasia for Brandon Smith... :rofl

There is a serious chance they couldn't pull off Haas, TPJ and Coates combined for Brenko Lee.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, I do like Turpin and I think he is a solid option. If Brandon Smith wasn't on the market I wouldn't be looking at hooker right now.
That's what he seems to be missing. Turpin is fine and more than serviceable in rotation with Macca and Paix, but elite or close to elite Dummy Half options are very rare and are crucial to a successful squad in the modern game. If one comes onto the market for any reason then all clubs except the ones who already have an elite Dummy Half should be chasing them, Brisbane included.

If any of C.Smith, B.Smith or Grant was available I'd drop everything to get hold of them.

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't join the over-inflated self worth gang we have at the Broncos now after origin. He played well but there wasn't high expectations on him.
I fully respect his right to get the best value for himself but if he wants anymore then 400,000 I'd let him walk. He's an aerial weapon and....... Nothing else. His defence needs work, he needs to run straighter, and he needs to take the tough hit up out of our end. He also needs a little bit of improvement in positioning in attack, he is often caught in front of his centre.

What is with these players. They do realise they just "won" our 1st ever wooden spoon?! Staggs, farnworth, carrigan, dearden and Haas are the only players who could hold their heads high after last year. Maybe riki too... And I wouldn't even get into bidding wars for them as well. If a player was around when we got a spoon it means they won't get us off the bottom of the ladder so they aren't worth over paying for...

The big problem with investing in youth at the Broncos is unlike other clubs, as soon as you pull on a Broncos jersey it inflates your value due to exposure despite results and performances. This is what's happening to us. Stuff them, let someone else over pay

He’s not even 20 yet. Probably going to be a pretty good player.

Reactions: Gaz
Obviously it’s not ideal but he’s fairly safe when playing confident. We’d just need to compensate in other areas. Who knows though, a full preseason under a coach with half a brain and we may be pleasantly surprised
Yep, and let's not forget the rumours circulating where Seibold specifically told Isaako he's not allowed to pass at fullback and should run only. With a decent coach he may actually be a serviceable if not good fullback.

Yep, and let's not forget the rumours circulating where Seibold specifically told Isaako he's not allowed to pass at fullback and should run only. With a decent coach he may actually be a serviceable if not good fullback.
To offer some perspective; sans a sprinkling of decent moments here and there, it is hard to imagine Isaako could be any worse than 2018-2020 Boyd.

To offer some perspective; sans a sprinkling of decent moments here and there, it is hard to imagine Isaako could be any worse than 2018-2020 Boyd.
He'll be better defensively, but if he can be half as good as him in attack, he'll be a very serviceable fullback. Hopefully with Boyd there at training and having a head coach that isn't a moron, Isaako can take his game to the next level. Look at Papen in Melbourne, it's uncanny how much he's learned from Slater, so hopefully Isaako can pick up some of Boyd's brain in attack because on shown form, there was no brain, just reliable and decent defensively.

He also becomes the only premiership winner in our side
IMO Asiata, on a one year deal, is a great addition in general, but even more so considering your point. Which led me to this:

Alex Glenn should be doing absolutely everything he can to win one before he retires, because as it stands, he is the first Broncos captain to lose a GF (under 20’s) and win a spoon (NRL).

He'll be better defensively, but if he can be half as good as him in attack, he'll be a very serviceable fullback. Hopefully with Boyd there at training and having a head coach that isn't a moron, Isaako can take his game to the next level. Look at Papen in Melbourne, it's uncanny how much he's learned from Slater, so hopefully Isaako can pick up some of Boyd's brain in attack because on shown form, there was no brain, just reliable and decent defensively.
I actually disagree.

For any positives Boyd may contribute (which begs the question, why hasn’t he done so already?) I believe (before the usual suspects jump up and down, this is just my opinion) that his attitude around the playing group is toxic, so I don’t want him anywhere near the team.

He was once a very good player, but he is gone now and I think the best thing for the club is to wash their hands of him completely.

Again: just my opinion.

I actually disagree.

For any positives Boyd may contribute (which begs the question, why hasn’t he done so already?) I believe (before the usual suspects jump up and down, this is just my opinion) that his attitude around the playing group is toxic, so I don’t want him anywhere near the team.

He was once a very good player, but he is gone now and I think the best thing for the club is to wash their hands of him completely.

Fair enough, I disagree with your disagree though!

I actually don't think he's some toxic influence, we went to a grand final with him at fullback, and he was only ever awful under Seibold, but so was basically the entire team other than Carrigan, Haas and Staggs but I'm not oblivious to why you think he was toxic, we both saw what we saw and come to different theories about his influence outside of game day which are only guesses. The fact is though, WB made him captain and he knows what a good leader is, Seibold could have dropped him at any point but never did he only ever spoke glowingly of him, and KW immediately recruited him when coming on board to help with coaching, so that's 3 different coaches who have rated him, 2 when he was past it physically so he must bring something off the field.

I actually disagree.

I wholeheartedly agree. Boyd out!
Sack Lockyer from the board and get him on that training field. Langer has some health issues, get Lockyer to run the water as well...FFS just get him out of that board room and media too.

Fair enough, I disagree with your disagree though!

I actually don't think he's some toxic influence, we went to a grand final with him at fullback, and he was only ever awful under Seibold, but so was basically the entire team other than Carrigan, Haas and Staggs but I'm not oblivious to why you think he was toxic, we both saw what we saw and come to different theories about his influence outside of game day which are only guesses. The fact is though, WB made him captain and he knows what a good leader is, Seibold could have dropped him at any point but never did he only ever spoke glowingly of him, and KW immediately recruited him when coming on board to help with coaching, so that's 3 different coaches who have rated him, 2 when he was past it physically so he must bring something off the field.
I appreciate a civil disagreement!

I can’t argue with what you’ve said here, because it’s true. I suppose for me it’s simply that I just can’t shake the feeling Boyd is a bad influence on young, impressionable minds. He fits into a well established team just fine, but I don’t think he is the bloke to BE the mentor.

Publicly white-anting Seibold was a bad look, appearing to play poorly only to then regain some semblance of form when returned to the fullback position, kicking cans and removing yourself from the leadership group and immediately celebrating a wooden spoon with a very personal baby shower is just a string of bad examples, IMO, he’s set in the last 6 months.

With so many kids in our roster, I’d rather they were learning off blokes like Webcke, Hodges (I must admit, I didn’t want him back, but he very much proved me wrong), Parker, De Vere, Yow Yeh etc. who always put the club first. They are the attitudes and examples I want floating around the club.

Anyway, we obviously won’t agree and it’s not that I want you to either. Different strokes.

Last edited:
I appreciate a civil disagreement!

I can’t argue with what you’ve said here, because it’s true. I suppose for me it’s simply that I just can’t shake the feeling Boyd is a bad influence on young, impressionable minds. He fits into a well established team just fine, but I don’t think he is the bloke to BE the mentor.

Publicly white-anting Seibold was a bad look, appearing to play poorly only to then regain some semblance of form when returned to the fullback position, kicking cans and removing yourself from the leadership group and immediately celebrating a wooden spoon with a very personal baby shower is just a string of bad examples, IMO, he’s set in the last 6 months.

With so many kids in our roster, I’d rather they were learning off blokes like Webcke, Hodges (I must admit, I didn’t want him back, but he very much proved me wrong), Parker, De Vere, Yow Yeh etc. who always put the club first. They are the attitudes and examples I want floating around the club.

Anyway, we obviously won’t agree and it’s not that I want you to either. Different strokes.
I'd absolutely love Webcke back in some capacity but doesn't he work in Sydney for Ch7? I'm not actually sure.

I can totally see why a lot of fans disliked Boyd but I was always somewhere down the middle, I thought he should have been dropped by Seibold a lot earlier than he did but I don't think he was bad in 2020, I actually think he was one of our best backs which isn't a high bar to be fair. Is there an argument Glenn is just a shit captain too? The worst Broncos team ever coincided with him being named captain.

I'd absolutely love Webcke back in some capacity but doesn't he work in Sydney for Ch7? I'm not actually sure.

I can totally see why a lot of fans disliked Boyd but I was always somewhere down the middle, I thought he should have been dropped by Seibold a lot earlier than he did but I don't think he was bad in 2020, I actually think he was one of our best backs which isn't a high bar to be fair. Is there an argument Glenn is just a shit captain too? The worst Broncos team ever coincided with him being named captain.
I saw someone on here the other day mention a clique that Glenn is apparently the leader of, said that it’s very divisive toward those not in it and that it coincides with the poor form of all those involved. News to me, but honestly wouldn’t surprise me. It certainly appears that the whole club is rotten - good luck Kevvie!

But I suppose if you take a big step back and look at Glenn and his career / achievements through the lens above, his record captaining teams is very poor and he really hasn’t achieved much at all, particularly not in the last 5 or so years (no longer in the Kiwi team). He’s no Hodges, that’s for sure.

99% agree but I think you are being generous at 400k. Despite representing qld, i do not think he is anywhere near that worth, or will be so in the next 2-3 years. There are just too many holes in his game.

Addo-carr who most would argue is the best winger in the comp ATM, is rumoured to be looking a going to the dogs for 500k a year.

I think Hughes will be off. He is typical of what they do at Melbourne. Pick somebody up cheaply, turn them into a good player in their system then they lose them because they get big offers elsewhere.
That they do, and well, doesn't seem to halt their progress though, always in final series and more often than not in the the Grand Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrRobot
  • Scorchie
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.