Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to look at our successful years and work out why we were able to be premiership contenders. 2006, 2015, but arguably 2011 as we were darn close if it wasn't for Lockyer going down.

For mine, there were two constants. Hodges bringing confidence and attitude for the backs, and defensive enforcers in the forwards. Tunza was our guy back in '06 that people were scared of, and Petero and Webcke were the best in the business at the time. In 2011 we had Gillett hitting his straps and Josh McGuire belting fools up front. Fast forward to 2015 and Gillett is the best back-rower in the world, certainly defensively, and Adam Blair's purple patch has him halting pretty much all opposition progress through the middle (also, credit to players like Dodds & Nick Kenny who were never stars, but left plenty of opposition players watching where they next ran).

To replace Hodges is basically impossible, though it's the only thing I can think of when I look for a reason why Bennett recruited Jack Bird. And in reality, it doesn't need to be a centre, as a fullback or winger can just as easily roll their sleeves up and drag us to victory from dummy half scoots like he did. In for forwards, a fit Lodge will make a difference, but we really do need someone who hits hard, consistently and without fuss. TPJ is too erratic, and he's already a marked man by the refs. Who that is, I don't know.

For mine, we won a grand final with Berrigan at hooker, a sneaky, balls-out terrier who, by the way, had Casey McGuire on the bench for relief, so there is hope for Turpin. In 2011 and 2015 we had McCullough, the epitome of No Frills. It really comes down to us controlling in defence and the resulting field position and possession will allow our attacking players to do their thing.

He certainly has ability. 800k for a centre is big money here in Australia. What do you believe he's worth to us?
I'd say 500k. If Kevvie can get him to stay out on his man he'd be worth over 600k but it'll also depend on how he comes back from his ACL injury.

If he played in the halves you would consider $800k but we haven't seen anywhere near enough of him playing there to take the gamble and throw that sort of money at him and then hope that it works out.

I think we need to look at our successful years and work out why we were able to be premiership contenders. 2006, 2015, but arguably 2011 as we were darn close if it wasn't for Lockyer going down.

For mine, there were two constants. Hodges bringing confidence and attitude for the backs, and defensive enforcers in the forwards. Tunza was our guy back in '06 that people were scared of, and Petero and Webcke were the best in the business at the time. In 2011 we had Gillett hitting his straps and Josh McGuire belting fools up front. Fast forward to 2015 and Gillett is the best back-rower in the world, certainly defensively, and Adam Blair's purple patch has him halting pretty much all opposition progress through the middle (also, credit to players like Dodds & Nick Kenny who were never stars, but left plenty of opposition players watching where they next ran).

To replace Hodges is basically impossible, though it's the only thing I can think of when I look for a reason why Bennett recruited Jack Bird. And in reality, it doesn't need to be a centre, as a fullback or winger can just as easily roll their sleeves up and drag us to victory from dummy half scoots like he did. In for forwards, a fit Lodge will make a difference, but we really do need someone who hits hard, consistently and without fuss. TPJ is too erratic, and he's already a marked man by the refs. Who that is, I don't know.

For mine, we won a grand final with Berrigan at hooker, a sneaky, balls-out terrier who, by the way, had Casey McGuire on the bench for relief, so there is hope for Turpin. In 2011 and 2015 we had McCullough, the epitome of No Frills. It really comes down to us controlling in defence and the resulting field position and possession will allow our attacking players to do their thing.
Not being smart here and I agree with a lot of that but KW has already said it publicly. He's starting with defence, a solid middle. Make all teams go round. Haas will end up on the bench by the end of the year unless he ups his game. Flegler, Kennedy and Lodge will be our prop rocks and with an attitude change Haas to make four. Our attack will be built after the defensive foundation is firmly established.

Last edited:
On the hypothetical and we DO pay Staggs 800k (I also hope we don't), what are posters' thoughts on:

1. Walsh
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

Then,

1. Walsh/Brimson
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Grant

Might be nothing but Billy Brittain isn’t playing in their trial match tonight

On the hypothetical and we DO pay Staggs 800k (I also hope we don't), what are posters' thoughts on:

1. Walsh
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

Then,

1. Walsh/Brimson
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Grant
I'd offer him 700k and push him into 6. I think he could be elite there. Which means Milford needs to **** off. 300k saved and a better player.

I'd offer him 700k and push him into 6. I think he could be elite there. Which means Milford needs to **** off. 300k saved and a better player.

I agree. Both can’t tackle to save themselves but at least Staggs is a massive threat anywhere on the field.

I agree. Both can’t tackle to save themselves but at least Staggs is a massive threat anywhere on the field.
When he has defended at 6, he actually defended pretty well. It is his poor defensive reads at centre that is the issue.

My concern for him at 6 is he can be a bit of a hog so may starve his outside men of the ball, and hasnt really shown ball playing skills.

And unless isaako gets involved with kicks in play, or we get a fullback with a boot on them, the kicking would be solely on dearden.

When he has defended at 6, he actually defended pretty well. It is his poor defensive reads at centre that is the issue.

My concern for him at 6 is he can be a bit of a hog so may starve his outside men of the ball, and hasnt really shown ball playing skills.

And unless isaako gets involved with kicks in play, or we get a fullback with a boot on them, the kicking would be solely on dearden.

On that point, I don’t get why Isaako hasn’t been used more for general kicking even when on the wing as yes, it’s unusual but he has the best boot in the team for long kicks by far.

I'd agree with both those. I'm hoping Isaako gets a chance at fullback to kick. (more general play kickers the better, so long as everyone is on the same page and the kick chase is good (something we were terrible at last year and another reason I'd be reluctant to throw major money at any of our backs).
Really a good kick chase can make an average kick look good and a good kick great.
I think staggs is most dangerous running but I've yet to see him use any kind of deception passing so whilst he can be a good stop gap I don't think long term fullback or in the halves suits him unless I'm not seeing something.
Both him and Isaako are primarily runners but he drives through the tackle whilst Isaako is usually unbalanced at the point of contact (something kevie can work on).
The biggest problem with the broncos in attack is we have exactly one player with a deceptive passing game in Milford. Everyone else tends to telegraph theirs (I'm hoping dearden has something hidden away there or is working on it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Allo
  • mitch222
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Skathen
  • johnny plath
  • The Don
  • Xzei
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.