Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, Folau is 31 so he's not ancient - we've got arguably the worst outside backs in the comp. We could use some class.
Okay, I think I'm trying to find reasons to justify my distaste. He was a champion and we could do with his skills. I'm having difficulty getting past two things, his religious belief and it's judgemental viewpoint(s)

I detest religion and those that use their high profile position to push archaic and frankly insane views on the world. I cannot be impartial, unfortunately for me.

So, if he comes I will accept it but **** me, if he utters one fucking word about his invisible sky fairy or that poisonous tripe that the devotees think is important then I will make my displeasure known to Red Hill. Yeah, yeah, they wouldn't give a **** I know but they'd know how one fan felt.

Folau is done, at least in the NRL. Any club makes moves to sign him, the same thing is going to happen that happened with the Dragons - there'll be enough fan backlash that it will be nixed immediately.

Hoping the Broncos will sign him is the pipiest of pipe dreams. Besides, it's not like he's a player that's suddenly going to push us into premiership contention. If he was, he might - might - be worth the headache. He's not, though.

Also **** that guy.

Okay, I think I'm trying to find reasons to justify my distaste. He was a champion and we could do with his skills. I'm having difficulty getting past two things, his religious belief and it's judgemental viewpoint(s)

I detest religion and those that use their high profile position to push archaic and frankly insane views on the world. I cannot be impartial, unfortunately for me.

So, if he comes I will accept it but **** me, if he utters one fucking word about his invisible sky fairy or that poisonous tripe that the devotees think is important then I will make my displeasure known to Red Hill. Yeah, yeah, they wouldn't give a **** I know but they'd know how one fan felt.
So you are happy to openly discriminate against Folau because of his religion? What a terrible society we have become.

I wonder if he were a Muslim for example, would you and our society feel so free to do this?

It's a no from me, the guy is a mercenary and we don't need his arrogance, he had his chance to be here but chose to whore himself around to different codes just for the cash.

Last edited:
Jeez there are some snowflakes here.

Do I understand the guy’s point of view? No

Do I agree with anything he said? No

Do I think it was necessary for someone in his position to be posting stuff like he posted? No

... But does he have the right to his own opinion and to express that if he wishes? He sure does.. it cost him his career but that was his choice.

People act like he’s some morally unconscionable bigot viciously attacking poor marginalised folk.. they forget that he has been raised his whole life to believe this stuff - it’s not coming from a place of hate or attack, to him I’m sure it’s all about trying to educate to help ‘save’ people.
The remakes weren’t solely homophobic either (despite what everyone likes to pick out) - he condemned a vast majority of the population.

His comments were laughable religious drivel and nothing more... if you don’t agree then that’s your right and just laugh and ignore it and write it off as invalid... if anyone is actually offended because someone has an opinion that differs from their own they need their head checked.

I don’t think he has much to offer as a footy player anymore but people getting stuck into the bloke and hoping he never plays again because he dared to express a belief which wasn’t aligned with the popular leftist ‘woke’ everybody-love-everybody, everybody-is-perfect rubbish is just as stupid as Folau is.

Guys obviously his religious beliefs are a discussion point but please do not denigrate people’s views / faith. This is not the thread to discuss religion. Discuss the player and say that you want him or not because of his views, sure but please do not enter into religious discussion and debate here.

Obviously, this will be difficult to follow but essentially, if your post is not about Folau and is discussing another poster’s views of general ideas, it might be better places in the religion thread.

So you are happy to openly discriminate against Folau because of his religion? What a terrible society we have become.

I wonder if he were a Muslim for example, would you and our society feel so free to do this?
If he was a Muslim and said exactly what he said and refused to apologise then yes, what a stupid fucking question.

Jeez there are some snowflakes here.

Do I understand the guy’s point of view? No

Do I agree with anything he said? No

Do I think it was necessary for someone in his position to be posting stuff like he posted? No

... But does he have the right to his own opinion and to express that if he wishes? He sure does.. it cost him his career but that was his choice.

People act like he’s some morally unconscionable bigot viciously attacking poor marginalised folk.. they forget that he has been raised his whole life to believe this stuff - it’s not coming from a place of hate or attack, to him I’m sure it’s all about trying to educate to help ‘save’ people.
The remakes weren’t solely homophobic either (despite what everyone likes to pick out) - he condemned a vast majority of the population.

His comments were laughable religious drivel and nothing more... if you don’t agree then that’s your right and just laugh and ignore it and write it off as invalid... if anyone is actually offended because someone has an opinion that differs from their own they need their head checked.

I don’t think he has much to offer as a footy player anymore but people getting stuck into the bloke and hoping he never plays again because he dared to express a belief which wasn’t aligned with the popular leftist ‘woke’ everybody-love-everybody, everybody-is-perfect rubbish is just as stupid as Folau is.
This is what we are all saying, what is your point? No one opened up a thread to put the boot into him for the sake of it, someone said we should sign him (you know, continue his career) and the people that are against that voiced their opinion. How does that make anyone a snowflake?

This is what we are all saying, what is your point? No one opened up a thread to put the boot into him for the sake of it, someone said we should sign him (you know, continue his career) and the people that are against that voiced their opinion. How does that make anyone a snowflake?

Pushing back against the comments of a personal nature - attacking him or ruling him out as a signing because of something he said rather than his lack of ability to contribute as a footballer.

In really indifferent to the whole situation. Obviously I strongly oppose his views but I also strongly oppose Gallen and John’s expressed views on race and they’re media darlings who the NRL trot around as poster boys. I strongly oppose the domestic abuse, assaults, Stagg’s calling that guy a homophobic slur, Lodge’s rampage, Haas’ comments toward women, and the list could go on for days. So as much as I think Folau is an idiot and his comments extremely outdated and PR suicide, I don’t think he’s any more repugnant than the endless list of players with controversies that play on freely in the NRL.

i would like to see him back in the NRL just for onfield spectacle but I couldn’t care less for which club, and if it were the broncos I hope it would be for a very favourable price. I’d prefer some other club take all that risk though, so I can watch it as a fan of sports drama and not have my club take on the risk.

I reckon you’ve cherry picked a badly worded sentence and chosen to be outraged over it tbh.

Wooooow, so you don't even get the irony of this statement?

This is exactly what started this Folau thing. One sentence, taken from a post that was PRIVATE, where one small part of it was taken out of context and inflamed because that's what society does.

Yes, I'm intolerant although I wouldn't call it discrimination. I'd just choose the sane candidate. If I had a choice between two equally qualified people and the only other thing I knew was that one was religious and other not I'd choose the non religious one every time.

It's not that the religion is neccesarily bad but that the religious person demonstrates that they are able to believe absolutely anything at all, the most far fetched and ludicrous codswallop possible and won't even question, no not even admit that the fairy story is clearly irrational.

On the off chance that the religious person conceded it was utterly implausible they'd still CHOOSE to believe it. That makes them mentally unstable in my books.

Sorry, if you are religious your capacity for reason is absolutely questionable. I can't trust religious people to think rationally. If they seriously consider the likelihood that their dogma is impossible and then still choose to believe it, it must raise the question...is this person sane?

Not sure why which model fairy story they believe has any relevance. I think they're all shit. Buddhism is less of a problem.

Pushing back against the comments of a personal nature - attacking him or ruling him out as a signing because of something he said rather than his lack of ability to contribute as a footballer.
Supposing his comments were of a racist nature ... would the same rule apply, or would we just put that down to "something he said" and move on .. I think not.

Wooooow, so you don't even get the irony of this statement?

This is exactly what started this Folau thing. One sentence, taken from a post that was PRIVATE, where one small part of it was taken out of context and inflamed because that's what society does.
That's fine mate, you need to understand though that religion aside people will not like what he said. Anyone that publicly or privately discriminates against someone just because of their sexuality I am not going to support, it is as simple as that. People can make out like this is about religion or free speech or whatever else but my issue is his words alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • BroncosAlways
  • simplythebest
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • lynx000
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.