Status
Not open for further replies.
Things Isaako has to do to be an NRL standard fullback:

-develop a passing game
-develop a support game
-stop dropping sitters

Things Allan has to do:

-continue his 2020 form
You can scratch dropping sitters off that list cause allen has dropped a few, 2 significant ones last year in origin and finals.

that really has only been questioned on here.

there has been no doubt from Kevvie or the coaching staff of the make up of the spine the entire pre-season
How can that be when up until a week ago we still had Macca?

Yes, but we're already paying them, so we'd be forking out another $500k and still wouldn't have a proven fullback.
Imagine playing State of Origin and being considered 'not proven' by some dude on a Computer :rofl

It's also not a very clever way to look at the salary cap accounting.

$500k is the absolute MAXIMUM rumoured amount he just got at the Bulldogs. The far more reasonable take is that he got closer to $400k.

A position in the Top 30 costs at minimum (not accounting for Salary Cap reductions since COVID) was $110k, so the changeover between Allan's $400k and whatever player fills that the top 30 spot at minimum wage would be $290k.

When you start to consider Allan at the actual dollar changeover vs the stupid amounts being reported, it's hard not to draw the conclusion that we didn't have a way to fit $290k in our Salary Cap for an actual Fullback who has at least played the position competently at NRL level before, which is not something you can say about either of the other two candidates right now.

Last edited:

-develop a passing game
-develop a support game
-stop dropping sitters

Things Allan has to do:

-continue his 2020 form
Exactly. The saying 'beggars can't be choosers' certainly springs to mind.

As I've already pointed out, it's not even like $400-500k would have been expensive. The only other Fullback you could buy in the NRL for that sort of cash is Isaako and that's because he isn't a Fullback yet.

Imagine playing State of Origin and being considered 'not proven' by some dude on a Computer :rofl

It's also not a very clever way to look at the salary cap accounting.

$500k is the absolute MAXIMUM rumoured amount he just got at the Bulldogs. The far more reasonable take is that he got closer to $400k.

A position in the Top 30 costs at minimum (not accounting for Salary Cap reductions since COVID) was $110k, so the changeover between Allan's $400k and whatever player fills that the top 30 spot at minimum wage would be $290k.

When you start to consider Allan at the actual dollar changeover vs the stupid amounts being reported, it's hard not to draw the conclusion that we didn't have a way to fit $290k in our Salary Cap for an actual Fullback who has at least played the position competently at NRL level before, which is not something you can say about either of the other two candidates right now.
Bingo!

~300k for a guy who has proven he can be an NRL fullback vs a guy who looks to be a winger only whose game has only gone backwards and needs to learn how to be a fullback in one shortened offseason.

I can see Walsh in at FB by round 10.
Exactly. So how fucked is our position as a club when the only guy left in the squad who has played Fullback this preseason is already looking at being replaced by an 18 year old kid who hasn't cracked regular Queensland Cup yet.

Bingo!

~300k for a guy who has proven he can be an NRL fullback vs a guy who looks to be a winger only whose game has only gone backwards and needs to learn how to be a fullback in one shortened offseason.
Imagine genuinely thinking Corey Allan 'isn't proven' but somehow Isaako and Reece Walsh are...

Last edited:
Exactly. The saying 'beggars can't be choosers' certainly springs to mind.

As I've already pointed out, it's not even like $400-500k would have been expensive. The only other Fullback you could buy in the NRL for that sort of cash is Isaako and that's because he isn't a Fullback yet.
It would be when thats about all we got for 2 positions to fill but hey beggers can't be choosers

Imagine genuinely thinking Corey Allan 'isn't proven' but somehow Isaako and Reece Walsh are...
Not one person has said they are, stop being intentionally difficult.

Are you mates with Corey or something? It’s bizarre how seemingly offended you are by the fact that some people don’t think he is great.

It would be when thats about all we got for 2 positions to fill but hey beggers can't be choosers
Yes, and that's my point. The people making excuses for Corey Allan being too expensive are simply letting the club off the hook because we just got one highly paid Fullback in Boyd off our books, but somehow came to the conclusion as a club that we didn't need to reinvest that money in another Fullback and instead we should just upgrade another Middle Forward. We didn't even recruit another cheap Fullback, we just kept adding more journeymen like Copley and Mead.

Honestly, people carry on like we need to be more positive but shit like this is just amateur hour and frankly inexcusable in what is supposed to be a professionally run Football club.

Last edited:
Not one person has said they are, stop being intentionally difficult.

Are you mates with Corey or something? It’s bizarre how seemingly offended you are by the fact that some people don’t think he is great.
Forgive me for thinking an entire NRL roster could accommodate at least one genuine and even moderately proven Fullback. Clearly I'm mistaken.

The dumbest part about your point is he doesn't actually need to be great, just serviceable, which seems infinitely more likely at this point than the evidence suggests we should expect from Isaako. Your entire argument would hold even a shred of weight if it wasn't for the fact that our alternatives are literally incapable of making any other side in the entire NRL.

Yes, and that's my point. The people making excuses for Corey Allan being too expensive are simply letting the club off the hook because we just got one highly paid Fullback in Boyd off our books, but somehow came to the conclusion as a club that we didn't need to reinvest that money in another Fullback and instead we should just upgrade another Middle Forward. We didn't even recruit a cheap Fullback, we just kept adding more journeymen like Copley and Mead.

Honestly, people carry on like we need to be more positive but shit like this is just amateur hour and frankly inexcusable in what is supposed to be a professionally run Football club.
It isn't if there's a certain plan in place and throwing 4-500k on someone that may not be in that plan 12 months down the road.
Who knows what kevie thinks about Allen, he was punted for a shit attitude the first time .

-develop a passing game
-develop a support game
-stop dropping sitters

Things Allan has to do:

-continue his 2020 form
Go back and watch the first 2 rounds. Isaako was actually surprisingly good on rewatch. I know the whole team sucked after that but he was solid in the cowboys game.

I actually think if his confidence isn’t completely shot he may surprise.

Last edited:
It isn't if there's a certain plan in place and throwing 4-500k on someone that may not be in that plan 12 months down the road.
Who knows what kevie thinks about Allen, he was punted for a shit attitude the first time .
If our 'plan' as a supposedly powerhouse NRL club is an 18 year old kid who hasn't even settled into playing Queensland Cup yet, then it might be fair to say we don't have a very good plan.

Walsh might be a gun, Isaako might go back to 2018. I sure hope both those things are true. Sincerely I do.

But I can't reconcile how the kind of person who really believes both those things are a good chance of happening with so little evidence to go on are also the same people who are still not yet convinced that Corey Allan can play at a $500k a year NRL standard level yet. I know which one I'd consider to be a safer bet right now.

Last edited:
Nah no need for Allan when you can just speculate on an endless supply of hyped up teenagers and cram a few more middle forwards in on fullback money.

If our 'plan' as a supposedly powerhouse NRL club is an 18 year old kid who hasn't even settled into playing Queensland Cup yet, then it might be fair to say we don't have a very good plan.

Walsh might be a gun, Isaako might go back to 2018. I sure hope both those things are true. Sincerely I do.

But I can't reconcile how the kind of person who really believes both those things are a good chance of happening with so little evidence to go on are also the same people who are still not yet convinced that Corey Allan can play at a $500k a year NRL standard level yet. I know which one I'd consider to be a safer bet right now.
Thats fine I'm over arguing my point , time will tell if that money gets put to good use or not.

Did we have a genuine chance at getting Allan though? He left on supposedly bad terms last time and I thought I read that he had no interest in returning to the Broncos around the time he was negotiating with Souths/Dogs. Could be mistaken of course.

Not that that has anything to do with whether or not he's worth 500K

Did we have a genuine chance at getting Allan though? He left on supposedly bad terms last time and I thought I read that he had no interest in returning to the Broncos around the time he was negotiating with Souths/Dogs. Could be mistaken of course.

Not that that has anything to do with whether or not he's worth 500K
Or if we had the $500k for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Battler
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • Santa
  • Stix
  • TimWhatley
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Browny
  • DrGee
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skyblues87
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • BruiserMk1
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.