Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy who should have had 3-4 try assists in a deciding origin game and made a bucket load of running metres and helped chime in to his side after the original fullback went down and helped them all the way to a prelim is unproven?

I dont think you can class him as proven unless he has a couple of good years imo. If you do well over 19 or 20 games a year at club level, then back it up again the year after i think you can start saying you are a proven player. Look at what happened with Tim Smith for example.

Did we have a genuine chance at getting Allan though? He left on supposedly bad terms last time and I thought I read that he had no interest in returning to the Broncos around the time he was negotiating with Souths/Dogs. Could be mistaken of course.

Not that that has anything to do with whether or not he's worth 500K

Yeah I heard he wasn't interested in coming back to Brisbane. We might have reached out to him for all we know.

Would definitely have taken him over Isaako just based on what he's already shown. Oh well.

At the risk of putting my hand in the fire I'm just gonna toss in a comment about Isaako ... no one seems to be cutting him just a bit of slack for the personal issues he had last year, I know we all have to deal with these things in our lives and just carry on, but anyone who says that it doesn't affect their day-to-day life is either a friggin' robot or made of stone. I, for one, am hoping he has a break-out season like he had in 2019, that would be something to watch. Ok that's my 2 cents worth

At the risk of putting my hand in the fire I'm just gonna toss in a comment about Isaako ... no one seems to be cutting him just a bit of slack for the personal issues he had last year, I know we all have to deal with these things in our lives and just carry on, but anyone who says that it doesn't affect their day-to-day life is either a friggin' robot or made of stone. I, for one, am hoping he has a break-out season like he had in 2019, that would be something to watch. Ok that's my 2 cents worth

Plenty of people have cut him slack, me included.

I think his break out season was 2018. He's had two crap years, but so has everyone else. I'm prepared to give him a go, absolutely. But I also recognize the criticisms against him as valid. I think he can be coached to be better than he has shown.

These are good points raised above. It will be interesting to see how some of the more experienced blokes go this year. They certainly regressed DRAMATICALLY under the old coach but maybe we (by we I mean me) need to cut them a little slack until we see how they come out in the first month of the season. That last moron at the helm has potentially destroyed a few of these guys' careers, I do feel sorry for them with that.

The young players especially have lost two important years of their growth, I hope the senior players take the lead in setting the new standards under Kevvie and co as these kids need so much help. A total leadership void in the group is massively problematic though unfortunately.

These are good points raised above. It will be interesting to see how some of the more experienced blokes go this year. They certainly regressed DRAMATICALLY under the old coach but maybe we (by we I mean me) need to cut them a little slack until we see how they come out in the first month of the season. That last moron at the helm has potentially destroyed a few of these guys' careers, I do feel sorry for them with that.

The young players especially have lost two important years of their growth, I hope the senior players take the lead in setting the new standards under Kevvie and co as these kids need so much help. A total leadership void in the group is massively problematic though unfortunately.
I definitely think Isaako is capable of being a really good Nrl player if he gets his head screwed on right and has both some decent players around him and a good coach.
I don't know for sure if he will be a good fullback but I wouldn't discount it based on what I saw last year. I thought he was OK without setting the world on fire and I am sure he was playing within his limits, as it was early in the season and the combinations would not be set in stone anyway (not that they ever were) .
Hopefully he can organise the defense and support. That's all Id expect at this stage of any new fullback (whoever they are) unless we have someone on the ropes. Conservative football wins plenty of games in the early season.
By about round 5, I'd reckon he would have showed us all we will get, but of course we didn't get that far last season.

Plenty of people have cut him slack, me included.

I think his break out season was 2018. He's had two crap years, but so has everyone else. I'm prepared to give him a go, absolutely. But I also recognize the criticisms against him as valid. I think he can be coached to be better than he has shown.

Pat hasn't.

Go back and watch the first 2 rounds. Isaako was actually surprisingly good on rewatch. I know the whole team sucked after that but he was solid in the cowboys game.

I actually think if his confidence isn’t completely shot he may surprise.
He also nearly lost us one of those games

The other factor with Allan was culture. I heard he was already a little too big for his boots even before he'd played an NRL game. Bennett punted him from the Broncos without much resistence, and despite publicly backing him at Souths, seemed to have little issue with letting him leave after not much time despite decent on-field performance. Sure Mitchell played a factor in that, but with their backline injury history surely Bennett would have seen value in him.

Makes me think that the deciding factor wasn't money, it was not wanting another ego in our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Dazza 92
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • The Don
  • Kev_Guz
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.