Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he’s a tackle bot. Tries hard and has his head screwed on but definitely just a Ben Hannant / Aidan Tolman type. Of our forwards, he is probably the only one who hasn’t truly had a stand out game. Flagler has had some great games / moments, of course so too have haas and tpj. Lodge as well has had some strong games (none of which were in 2020). And as much as Glenn cops it here, he has had some games where he has basically won it for us with a try or some really good defence.
Flegler has also had some absolute howlers. It's much harder to say the same thing about Carrigan.

Every club needs those guys who can win you a game off their own bat with an explosive performance, but Premierships are only possible when you have a core of guys go about their job consistently and who rarely have a bad game and Carrigan absolutely fits that bill.

We used to laud guys like Petero and Webcke for playing like that. How funny that by today's standards, just doing your job consistently well in difficult circumstances doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

The absolute dribble in here regarding Carrigan. I get the push back to the meme that he’s the next messiah, and he definitely has room to improve as far as decision making with his lines and hit ups but the kid is stellar.

Last year was his second season and he was playing 80 minutes a game consistently, which is completely unreasonable, and he still performed very well. Keep in mind too that he has played all of his professional football under Seibold and out of his preferred position.

19 games in 2020:
He averaged:
156m!
15 hit ups
454 tackles at 93.3% efficiency

Also made a total of 24 tackle breaks and 9 offloads

I don’t know what else you could want from a middle forward in their second season, all while playing under the worlds worst coach in a wooden spoon team.
I really dont get some people on here. Using hannant as disrespect? A player who played 245 first grade games, 12 origins (in the period of dominance when qld had good depth at prop), 6 for for Australia and won a premiership? I thought hannant was a great team player, who did the unpretty things (the tackling, the hit ups, the 1 percenters that let his team mates capitalise upon). Also a very well respected player in the league community who never caused issues at any club he played for.

Carrigan is a tackle bot? So now we criticise a player for getting through a solid workload in defence, when our primary issue last year was our defence? So from my assessment of many on here, we just want the flash players who dont want to do the dirty work for their team or sticking his hand up to play longer minutes because he team had been ravaged by injuries?

We have so many on here criticising the recruitment and retention of the broncos, for recruiting the big kids who just run over smaller kids (get an ego and fizzle when they cant do the same consistently against men), but here we have someone who shows a strong work ethic and he is trash?

A squad is about balance, look at the storm: finucane, bromwiches, kafusi, hardly flash players but they do their job which allows the munsters, papenhuyzens, smiths to work from that.

A team requires honest hard workers. Carrigan has stuff to work on as he had stated himself.

Last edited:
I really dont get some people on here. Using hannant as disrespect? A player who played 245 first grade games, 12 origins (in the period of dominance when qld had good depth at prop), 6 for for Australia and won a premiership? I thought hannant was a great team player, who did the unpretty things (the tackling, the hit ups, the 1 percenters that let his team mates capitalise upon). Also a very well respected player in the league community who never caused issues at any club he played for.

Carrigan is a tackle bot? So now we criticise a player for getting through a solid workload in defence, when our primary issue last year was our defence? So from my assessment of many on here, we just want the flash players who dont want to do the dirty work for their team or sticking his hand up to play longer minutes because he team had been ravaged by injuries?

We have so many on here criticising the recruitment and retention of the broncos, for recruiting the big kids who just run over smaller kids (get an ego and fizzle when they cant do the same consistently against men), but here we have someone who shows a strong work ethic and he is trash?

A squad is about balance, look at the storm: finucane, bromwiches, kafusi, hardly flash players but they do their job which allows the munsters, papenhuyzens, smiths to work from that.

A team requires honest hard workers. Carrigan has stuff to work on as he had stated himself.
I actually think it's telling that he's being compared to guys like Hannant and Tolman who have both had long, and in Hannant's case particularly, fairly decorated careers. The fact a guy in his early 20's who was thrown in the leadership deep end way ahead of his time is already playing like guys who have racked up hundreds of games and won Premierships should be an absolute credit to him and certainly not used to deride him.

I tend not to read a lot into stat's tbh. They can be padded out a fair bit. They don't tell you if the forward is taking the type of runs Webcke used to for example. Didn't make massive meters, but they were the tough runs that enabled the next forward to make good meters off the back of it. I see Carrigan not in the same class as Webcke, but he is the type of forward that does the grunt work for others to work off.

sorry mate...if we could fool the other clubs for a swap he'd be the first.
maybe for a Rudolf or a Matangi type - a hard running off the back-fence-type
Ha ha you have to be joking, that would be the quickest trade conversation ever.

Broncos: "Would you guys have any interest in trading Pat Carrigan doe Toby Rudolf?"
Sharks: "Toby! Toby! Pack your shit your going to the Broncos"

You’re clearly overlooking the only point that really matters though: how many times did Hannant (or other massive underachievers like him) get POTY?!?

I tend not to read a lot into stat's tbh. They can be padded out a fair bit. They don't tell you if the forward is taking the type of runs Webcke used to for example. Didn't make massive meters, but they were the tough runs that enabled the next forward to make good meters off the back of it. I see Carrigan not in the same class as Webcke, but he is the type of forward that does the grunt work for others to work off.
It would be totally unfair to put him in the class of Webcke so early on, but I'd certainly be prepared to suggest he's a better player at this point in his career than someone like Petero or Corey Parker were, and both these guys went on to become two of our best ever.

Ha ha you have to be joking, that would be the quickest trade conversation ever.

Broncos: "Would you guys have any interest in trading Pat Carrigan doe Toby Rudolf?"
Sharks: "Toby! Toby! Pack your shit your going to the Broncos"
I could accept that a player like Toby Rudolf might be a good way to balance out part of our Forward Pack, but no way in the world would it be Carrigan I'd be trading for it.

It would be totally unfair to put him in the class of Webcke so early on, but I'd certainly be prepared to suggest he's a better player at this point in his career than someone like Petero or Corey Parker were, and both these guys went on to become two of our best ever.
Yeah Patty’s playing actually reminds a bit of mid career Corey where he on the outskirts of origin. Big work load and consistent but yet to hit that next level that he did in the back end of his career.

He just needs to practice his goal kicking to be on the path to legend status.

Last edited:
Yeah Patty’s playing actually reminds a bit of mid career Corey where he on the outskirts of origin. Big work load and consistent but yet to hit that next level that he did in the back end of his career.

He just needs to practice his goal kicking to be on the path to legend status.
Corey should have played way more origins, instead they went with Harrison for some reason. Was mind boggling.

Flegler and TPJ need to be a little more like Haas and Carrigan.
Haas and Carrigan need to be a little more like Flegler and TPJ.

Our pack would be unstoppable. I hope they can learn from each other.

To be honest I don't see a lot wrong with cardigans game. He hits hard in defence, rarely misses a tackle, and makes a million hit ups and tackles.
Play him less minutes and he will hit and run harder. Give him the licence and will show the offload he has got. Just don't expect him to suddenly be faster or gain a cut out pass. He is just not that sort of player. He is still an outstanding one.

Corey should have played way more origins, instead they went with Harrison for some reason. Was mind boggling.
They won 8 Series in a row and rewrote what was possible in State of Origin. I'm not sure you could really blame them for picking and sticking.

Don’t forget Allan can also play centre and wing, would’ve been a smarter stop gap than say Copley?
That's not my point though, Copley would be minimum wage and Allan wouldn't. Cap wise it doesn't make sense especially having a few positions available.

That's not my point though, Copley would be minimum wage and Allan wouldn't. Cap wise it doesn't make sense especially having a few positions available.

On a related note, if Smith doesn't sign (which he won't), any idea what the club is doing with Macca's money?

On a related note, if Smith doesn't sign (which he won't), any idea what the club is doing with Macca's money?
hopefully get ahead on a few contracts free up more for next year?if you can still do that

It only 'doesn't make sense cap wise' if you honestly believe we already have a proven or competent Fullback on our books, which we don't, or that $400-500k is not fair value for a Fullback of Allan's standard, which as I've demonstrated above, compared to every other Fullback in the NRL, it absolutely is.

I'm sure you will see the error of your ways at the end of 2021. Hopefully we will be seeing him in his proper position of Prop this year. He carried our pack towards the end of last year, especially in the games we lost Haas for. His workrate was phenomenal and I can only see better things for him and Haas playing reduced minutes and not being flogged into the ground every week.
Picked for prop in the trial I believe? I think he is a prop too, better at taking those tough hit ups then most.

I still would have liked to see him have a trial on the edge though. I know it goes against what I said above but I think with the new rules in place and the speed of the game the middle should be more agile and the edge more about power and defence. He's smart, he'd learn to run lines well and be a rock in defence, and I reckon he'd be the on field personality that if the coach said "target their halfback all game" he'd be relentless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • the_next
  • Wolfie
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mustafur
  • HarryAllan7
  • sooticus
  • Swordfish
  • johnny plath
  • Wild Horse
  • Big Del
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • LGH
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncs1459
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MrMoore
  • Stix
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.