Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
in that case maybe Kevvie has abandoned the backrow move for Oates.

seems a bit strange though since Oates apparently trained all pre-season there, seems a bit early to abandon it before an ISC game has even been played
Maybe he was terrible at backrow.

I mean you’re not wrong, it just happened to be the example.

I’m talking just generally. I’d prefer a team of 95% our players so they can play together and follow a similar style to how we (try to) play so they can go straight into first grade at any notice
Oh yeah I was more referring to the earlier bit... however in reference to the one team whilst that would be good at least this year with less feeder teams our teams have become stronger... also broncos need systems for youth players to play through and as a result benefit for both teams

Maybe he was terrible at backrow.
Well Oates might have cracked the shots and gone **** it I want to play nrl and had gone back to the wing... when he is in form and uses his fucken head he’s a good winger he needs to get back to that and he’ll play nrl... which by the sounds he did today

Covid fucked us for more than just 2020. With so many injuries, and no QCup, we had to call up players that were not ready and had no way to ease in players returning from injury. As a result, a heap of players that should never have been exposed to first grade have not only played, but impressed enough for other teams to notice. Dearden being the main one, but there are others.

I am suspecting that either or both of Croft and Milford will not be here in 2022, however Dearden needs at least this season in QCup to develop. Yet the fans want results now, not just in the future. I don't think Walters will panic and bring Dearden in, especially if he communicates his plans to the board to allow him some breathing room. His "fire up" to the two halves would be to try to get something out of them and see if either are worth perservering with. I have half a suspicion that Milford has already given up.

On the QCup development, with Haas and Lodge back, it will give younger players like Bullemor, Kennedy, maybe even Riki some more time in QCup to develop as well.

Covid fucked us for more than just 2020. With so many injuries, and no QCup, we had to call up players that were not ready and had no way to ease in players returning from injury. As a result, a heap of players that should never have been exposed to first grade have not only played, but impressed enough for other teams to notice. Dearden being the main one, but there are others.

I am suspecting that either or both of Croft and Milford will not be here in 2022, however Dearden needs at least this season in QCup to develop. Yet the fans want results now, not just in the future. I don't think Walters will panic and bring Dearden in, especially if he communicates his plans to the board to allow him some breathing room. His "fire up" to the two halves would be to try to get something out of them and see if either are worth perservering with. I have half a suspicion that Milford has already given up.

On the QCup development, with Haas and Lodge back, it will give younger players like Bullemor, Kennedy, maybe even Riki some more time in QCup to develop as well.
Bullemor has played 2 seasons of q-cup already from memory and Kennedy’s has spent his whole career playing reserve grade that’s not gonna do much for him

Well Oates might have cracked the shots and gone **** it I want to play nrl and had gone back to the wing... when he is in form and uses his fucken head he’s a good winger he needs to get back to that and he’ll play nrl... which by the sounds he did today
Yeah I miss the old Oates. The 6'5 origin try scoring ball running beast.

in that case maybe Kevvie has abandoned the backrow move for Oates.

seems a bit strange though since Oates apparently trained all pre-season there, seems a bit early to abandon it before an ISC game has even been played
This Corey Oates situation is a snapshot of what is so wrong with the Broncos. A former state of origin winger who is on $600,000 or thereabouts and decides he wants to reinvent himself and is essentially now a redundant passenger as a result.. nobody can afford this sort of thing, especially a team in as much trouble as the Broncos are. The fact that the Broncos have stood around and allowed Oates to do this is staggering

Last edited:
Bullemor has played 2 seasons of q-cup already from memory and Kennedy’s has spent his whole career playing reserve grade that’s not gonna do much for him

It's better than not playing at all. They are forwards, remember, the more time developing the better.

This Corey Oates situation is a snapshot of what is so wrong with the Broncos. A former state of origin winger who is on $600,000 or thereabouts and decides he wants to reinvent himself and is essentially now redundant as a result.. nobody can afford this sort of thing, especially a team in as much trouble as the Broncos are. The fact that the Broncos have stood around and allowed Oates to do this is staggering

he wouldn't be the first winger ever to transition into the forwards. in fact there have been several rep players to do it. some of whom became elite in their new positions.

the difference between those players and Oates is that Oates was a backrower before playing NRL

he wouldn't be the first winger ever to transition into the forwards. in fact there have been several rep players to do it. some of whom became elite in their new positions.

the difference between those players and Oates is that Oates was a backrower before playing NRL
Luke lewis prolly the standout

Luke lewis prolly the standout

Ruben Wiki the other that comes to mind instantly ... he started playing wing/center ... then moved into lock/second row then finished at prop

This Corey Oates situation is a snapshot of what is so wrong with the Broncos. A former state of origin winger who is on $600,000 or thereabouts and decides he wants to reinvent himself and is essentially now a redundant passenger as a result.. nobody can afford this sort of thing, especially a team in as much trouble as the Broncos are. The fact that the Broncos have stood around and allowed Oates to do this is staggering

It actually makes sense if you think about it. If he could transition to the backrow successful, it gives us another forward and goodness me we need all of those we can get.

It actually makes sense if you think about it. If he could transition to the backrow successful, it gives us another forward and goodness me we need all of those we can get.
If the Broncos were the Broncos of old, they could afford to carry someone like Oates for a season or two while he develops the engine to play in the forwards, then road tests himself there to see if his body holds up.. But when you’re on the bones of your ass like the broncos are, you need this bloke in the position where he provides value today.

A coach like Bennett or Bellamy would would tell Oates to present in January 5 as a readymade backrow candidate or forget it and get back to the wing.

Last edited:
If the Broncos were the Broncos of old, they could afford to carry someone like Oates for a season or two while he develops the engine to play in the forwards, then road tests himself there to see if his body holds up.. But when you’re on the bones of your ass like the broncos are, you need this bloke in the position where he provides value today.

A coach like Bennett or Bellamy would would tell Oates to present in January 5 as a readymade backrow candidate or forget it and get back to the wing.

I'm not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is it was a desperation ploy by a desperate coach for a miracle play.

Oates pulled off two sensational tackles today and one of them was crucial in timing as the Bears had all the momentum. I think it was on Jonas Pearson and it absolutely cut him in half making him spill the ball. I’d still give him another week or two in Qcup though to make sure he gets some confidence and some real hunger to be back in first grade. Deardon had a very underwhelming game for me and when you consider the cattle he had in his backline he should have went a lot better. He still needs to learn wet weather footy. I don’t think he once engaged the line and then called a runner inside to change the angle of attack.

When the Bears came back from being 20-4 down to equalise a lot of heads went down when they were gathered behind the posts, it was KHunt who strolled into the middle of them and gave a short rallying chat. The boys never looked back after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • marw
  • maddo
  • Dreaglor
  • Mighty Bronx
  • BroncsNBundy
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.