Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This segment on 360 is embarrassing. Do they even listen to themselves? Walsh signs with the Warriors for upwards of 400k reportedly and it is a massive coup. Dogs offer Piakura upwards of 400k and it would be a massive pick up for them and same for the Titans. Broncos apparently looking to pay Piakura 400k a year and it is all what are they doing, desperation club, etc.

It is embarrassing, absolutely disgraceful journalism.

I really hope these numbers are way off the mark.

No matter how good Piakura is, our retention priorities are completely backwards if we're willing to pay him 400k per year but not willing to pay a potentially promising young fullback 400k per year... IF these numbers are accurate.

Good second rowers are a dime a dozen and the position is so unimportant to the team compared to a good fullback. It makes no sense we would let a potential superstar spine player walk for $400k to then pay that to an edge forward... UNLESS the Broncos played hardball with Walsh, lost and are now panicking and throwing more than they should at Piakura - which just exacerbates the problem.

No matter how good Piakura is, our retention priorities are completely backwards if we're willing to pay him 400k per year but not willing to pay a potentially promising young fullback 400k per year... IF these numbers are accurate.

Good second rowers are a dime a dozen and the position is so unimportant to the team compared to a good fullback. It makes no sense we would let a potential superstar spine player walk for $400k to then pay that to an edge forward... UNLESS the Broncos played hardball with Walsh, lost and are now panicking and throwing more than they should at Piakura - which just exacerbates the problem.

I'm very confident in saying the media have zero idea and as per usual are just making stuff up to hedge their bets both ways but also be able to come out either way and bag out the Broncos.

Piakura stays - Broncos paid overs, desperation club, etc
Piakura goes - Broncos couldn't even get him to stay despite an increased offer

Either way, by making this stuff up, they get to push the headline they want - basically Broncos suck

Roosters squad in particular is insane. That backline is mega stacked and all bar lam (who is really a fill in) and Manu were recruited externally.

Penrith have pretty much got their juniors and Melbourne fill out the squad with a lot of low level plodders who just look good. But what's the Roosters' excuse?
Yeah except they are paying both Morris brothers less than what we are paying Corey Oates... a plodder who can’t even make the team.

they also aren’t paying $700k for lodge or $600k for flegler...

The offer is bigger than Walsh's because they think he will get to NRL quicker. Walsh was still seen as some ISC next year and needing to physically develop.

His position as a starting edge backrow and the Broncos added a year to the offer are the reasons it was upped- it was originally two years and now is three- a bit was added to the second year and then obviously the third year added on in total- at the market value of a starting edge forward.

The offer is bigger than Walsh's because they think he will get to NRL quicker. Walsh was still seen as some ISC next year and needing to physically develop.

His position as a starting edge backrow and the Broncos added a year to the offer are the reasons it was upped- it was originally two years and now is three- a bit was added to the second year and then obviously the third year added on in total- at the market value of a starting edge forward.

Ah so the total contract value increases but the cost per year is almost unchanged? That makes sense and I have no issue with.
I would call that extending an offer not the 'last ditch effort to increase an offer' its been made out to be in the media, but I guess that's why I'm not a dirt-eating, smooth-brained, scumbag journalist. Thanks for the info mate.

Seems like we’re making smart/er decisions going off this

In a perfect world, not rushing him in, how far off NRL do you believe he is?

I think it's fair enough to up the offer if they see him as a starting NRL backrower as early as next year.

We have no depth in the back row and Glenn is probably no longer up to the standard and may retire at the end of this year... so the pathway for Piakura is there.

We needed to take a punt on some of these juniors and if we see them as inevitable NRL starters then the risk is lowered.

If Piakura still leaves then we should go after Capewell... based on this we probably need this resolved sooner rather than later

Last edited:
Ah so the total contract value increases but the cost per year is almost unchanged? That makes sense and I have no issue with.
I would call that extending an offer not the 'last ditch effort to increase an offer' its been made out to be in the media, but I guess that's why I'm not a dirt-eating, smooth-brained, scumbag journalist. Thanks for the info mate.
yeh...sounds like something a Storm CEO would sign off on huh...??

I think it's fair enough to up the offer if they see him as a starting NRL backrower as early as next year.

We have no depth in the back row and Glenn is probably no longer up to the standard and may retire at the end of this year... so the pathway for Piakura is there.

We needed to take a punt on some of these juniors and if we see them as inevitable NRL starters then the risk is lowered.

If Piakura still leaves then we should go after Capewell... based on this we probably need this resolved sooner rather than later
makes a lot of sense; start with the home grown option, with a external singing the next step...if home grown options decides avoiding used syringes down Canterbury mall is what he has always wanted....

Not too sure, you've confused me what you're asking- they added some money to the second year and added a third year.

No Capewell sorry.

In a perfect world, not rushing him in, how far off NRL do you believe he is?
Well a week ago I would of thought now off the bench but watched him last week and think he needs some games. His attack was off but he was playing in a new team and against men.

I think this contract thing is weighing on him too, he certainly wasn't his usual bundle of energy.

Not too sure, you've confused me what you're asking- they added some money to the second year and added a third year.
I presume that he's clarifying that whilst the headline is a huge dollar increase, in reality most of that huge increase is because a little extra was added to year two and an entire third year was added.

Been thinking about this a little today. I wonder if our best option would be to put together a group of 3 player like the storm did with Cronk, Smith and Slater and develop them in the same ISC side and bring them through together. If we could get that mateship going they may be more inclined to stay as a group with us if we do the right thing by them.

They already do that, Broncos have 17 Tweed players.

They already do that, Broncos have 17 Tweed players.
Are we doing it in the same way the storm did with Cronk, Smith and Slater or isn't there anyone close to that calibre for us to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • winslow_wong
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Dreaglor
  • Allo
  • Dexter
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • Aldo
  • Lurker
  • Stix
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.