Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt cobbo come into calculations for next year?
Was just thinking today that he may have been a big reason why The Broncos didn't get into a bidding war for Walsh (outside of it also just being a smart thing not to do). I know stats omly tell part of the story but these are some of them:

170 metres vs 80 metres
1 handling error vs 5 handling errors
70 post contact metres vs 15 post contact metres

Walsh scored 1 more try in a romp, with by all accounts both tries not being anything special. He goal kicks and has a kicking game on him but cobbo doesnt seem too.

Cobbo also played AGAINST the Broncos 1st half and didn't get found out in the trial, whereas Walsh played AGAINST the QLD cup team. Despite our poor showing in the trial I think that matters too. As well as that I also read cobbo has been playing fullback for just over a year and Walsh has been playing it the whole way through...

500,000 for Walsh or probably 150,000 for cobbo? I know what "potential" train I'm getting on.

Are you fucking kidding me? Are we seriously not even in the hunt?
Was just thinking today that he may have been a big reason why The Broncos didn't get into a bidding war for Walsh (outside of it also just being a smart thing not to do). I know stats omly tell part of the story but these are some of them:

170 metres vs 80 metres

Walsh scored 1 more try in a romp, with by all accounts both tries not being anything special. He goal kicks and has a kicking game on him but cobbo doesnt seem too.

Cobbo also played AGAINST the Broncos 1st half and didn't get found out in the trial, whereas Walsh played AGAINST the QLD cup team. Despite our poor showing in the trial I think that matters too. As well as that I also read cobbo has been playing fullback for just over a year and Walsh has been playing it the whole way through...

500,000 for Walsh or probably 150,000 for cobbo? I know what "potential" train I'm getting on.
I didn’t know anything about Cobbo until that trial but he looks the goods! He’s a big mobile lad by the looks of him.

170 metres vs 80 metres

Plus by all reports he has a great attitude and wants to be at the club.

170 metres vs 80 metres

One thing that does really set the two apart are the physical differences.

Cobbo looks to be a bit more what NRL teams are after in their fullbacks. The tall athletic build (Turbo, Latrell, GI, etc.)... a guy that is mobile enough to defend against kicks, but can also chase a kick down the middle of the field and out jump the opposition fullback. Can also finish a try inside the 10m when the defense is sliding on their line.

I think panthers are lining up Stephen Crichton as their future fullback (hence the massive pay day) and roosters have Suaalli lined up to take over Teddy in a few years. Everyone wants their own Turbo

I've only seen the highlights vid of when he was playing against high schoolers, but his movements looked like Latrell out in the left center.

If he brings some form of ball playing with him then he could be a hell of a player.

It's good to see that he's up against men in ISC... and being outside the bubble means he gets to keep playing ISC I believe.

I'd say they were probably looking at Cobbo as a chance for the left wing spot next year (Mead only on a 12 month deal), but he might be a bolter for fullback now that Walsh has moved on (given he was apparently a chance to take it from Isaako).

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue with a player option is that it doesn’t really promote performance. The safety net of a player option just means that if a player doesn’t do well they are protected for another 1 or 2 years with their player option. If you look at the majority of people with player options across the competition you can see a drop off (particularly those who have a player option of significant value i.e Milford, Lodge, Oates, Boyd (before he left), Hunt, DCE etc. And then on the other end you have the players who are on modest player options that are likely to get more now, Staggs, Matterson etc. now these players have taken the decent salary from their team and have performed well enough to get interest from other clubs then forcing their current club to pay more to keep them.
I know there’s a logic that a player option may save you some money on the initial contract, but in the nrl environment I don’t think it really would. At least not saving as much as it could end up costing you in the long run. I’m sure the dragons wish they paid Ben Hunt a little more per season and didn’t give him 2 years options at over $1.1m a year...

Cobbo looks to be a bit more what NRL teams are after in their fullbacks. The tall athletic build (Turbo, Latrell, GI, etc.)... a guy that is mobile enough to defend against kicks, but can also chase a kick down the middle of the field and out jump the opposition fullback. Can also finish a try inside the 10m when the defense is sliding on their line.

I think panthers are lining up Stephen Crichton as their future fullback (hence the massive pay day) and roosters have Suaalli lined up to take over Teddy in a few years. Everyone wants their own Turbo

I've only seen the highlights vid of when he was playing against high schoolers, but his movements looked like Latrell out in the left center.

If he brings some form of ball playing with him then he could be a hell of a player.

It's good to see that he's up against men in ISC... and being outside the bubble means he gets to keep playing ISC I believe.

I'd say they were probably looking at Cobbo as a chance for the left wing spot next year (Mead only on a 12 month deal), but he might be a bolter for fullback now that Walsh has moved on (given he was apparently a chance to take it from Isaako).

He scored in the last Wynnum ISC, just sliced right through and didn't look like anyone would stop him. He still has some growing/bulking to do which is scary because he's already a unit. Has a good fend and urgency in defence, get his fitness up and he'll be one to watch.

The other player who i have been impressed with in ISC is levi. Has got a few try assists a couple of his own. He is quick out of the ruck, his service is crisp, he will take it out from dummy half to draw the markers and even little things like looking one side of the ruck and then going to the other.

As turpin does not appear to be an 80 min hooker just yet (or able to maintain that high octane level of energy through the game), levi would not be a bad bench/back up hooker. It would allow turpin to play his high intensity game for 50-60 mins and then have levi come on and maintain or even speed up the game (not unlike kodi in 2015).

It would also mean if turpin got injured we could replace him with a quality hooker. I am not sold on paix, and isaac luke does not bring anything you could not get from alex glen filling in.

It depends if KW wants to play one of the halves in the utility role . However If we have some spare spots on our roster and it does not look like we are going to get anyone else, it could be an option.

Last edited:
Macca named as captain for the Dragons while Hunt is out.

I still think we really could’ve used his leadership and reliability in defence through the middle. He’s been playing pretty good for the Dragons.

He has made something like 160 tackles and only missed 1 (rd1) in 3 games.

The other player who i have been impressed with in ISC is levi. Has got a few try assists a couple of his own. He is quick out of the ruck, his service is crisp, he will take it out from dummy half to draw the markers and even little things like looking one side of the ruck and then going to the other.

As turpin does not appear to be an 80 min hooker just yet (or able to maintain that high octane level of energy through the game), levi would not be a bad bench/back up hooker. It would allow turpin to play his high intensity game for 50-60 mins and then have levi come on and maintain or even speed up the game (not unlike kodi in 2015).

It would also mean if turpin got injured we could replace him with a quality hooker. I am not sold on paix, and isaac luke does not bring anything you could not get from alex glen filling in.

It depends if KW wants to play one of the halves in the utility role . However If we have some spare spots on our roster and it does not look like we are going to get anyone else, it could be an option.
Going off a few highlights he definetly looks NRL level. Addmitedly i didn't watch him at manly much but I find it funny manly fans blamed him for their problems. He is similar to Macca in the scapegoating, however at least we had a better or even just different/realistic option in turpin. Manly had nothing. I'd be very happy with Levi as depth, particularly as he is outside the bubble and gett ng in game time vs paix (this absolutely stuffed us last year and will stuff us and the young guys development again this year)

How can they ever work well?

If the player plays well they won't take their PO and will either head elsewhere or insist on a larger contract meaning you can never make a good deal and are faced with either losing the player that you had planned within the salary cap to be there or having your cap bent out of shape. If the player sticks it up and can't get a better contract elsewhere they just take their option and you are stuck with them.
Hey B4L :)

Credit to @BroncsFan here, direct quote "A PO can work if you're paying unders for the player (Turps on $300k for example)... it gives the player the ability for a pay rise if they play above their ability, but gives the club a potentially lower salary in the first place... unfortunately for us the players with a PO have played well well below their ability and the deals look trash."

I see a possibility that a player might sign on for a bit less if they have a PO, backing themselves to improve and increase their value as BroncsFan suggests. I also think when a player signs for say 2 years with a 3rd yr as a PO, we fans get shitty thinking why the PO? Why not just sign them for 2? We don't seem to entertain the idea that maybe the player actually wanted a standard 3 yr deal. I think there's times they can work but I do think those times a rare, and our problem is that we have signed bad ones and also handed them out like they were 2 for 1 drinks vouchers for the local.

He only ran to the right on Sunday, I thought he did alright on debut. Bit lazy cover on Walters from the scrum he could have made a better effort and not get burnt like that.

He did well on debut with late notice and it's his first game of the season, Colts still hasn't started.

He only ran to the right on Sunday, I thought he did alright on debut. Bit lazy cover on Walters from the scrum he could have made a better effort and not get burnt like that.

He did well on debut with late notice and it's his first game of the season, Colts still hasn't started.
Are they thinking of playing him through ISC this year or easing him in??

Hey B4L :)

Credit to @BroncsFan here, direct quote "A PO can work if you're paying unders for the player (Turps on $300k for example)... it gives the player the ability for a pay rise if they play above their ability, but gives the club a potentially lower salary in the first place... unfortunately for us the players with a PO have played well well below their ability and the deals look trash."

I see a possibility that a player might sign on for a bit less if they have a PO, backing themselves to improve and increase their value as BroncsFan suggests. I also think when a player signs for say 2 years with a 3rd yr as a PO, we fans get shitty thinking why the PO? Why not just sign them for 2? We don't seem to entertain the idea that maybe the player actually wanted a standard 3 yr deal. I think there's times they can work but I do think those times a rare, and our problem is that we have signed bad ones and also handed them out like they were 2 for 1 drinks vouchers for the local.
Player options can be very useful when used correctly.

That specific use is to provide a player negotiating a contract with security and comfort by knowing they have a floor / minimum income beyond the confirmed length of their contract.

Adam Reynolds is a good example... He wants 3 years, Rabbits only want to offer 1 since theyre concerned about his age and ability to contribute in 3 years time. They could meet in the middle @ 2 years and then offer Reynolds a player option for the 3rd year at a significantly reduced rate. If Reynolds is tearing up after year 2, they could negotiate a 1 year extension... if he has gone completely Darius Boyd then he gets to stay on for the 3rd year but at a steeply discounted rate, so the club isn't put in a bad position by the contract. It's a player-friendly clause which can be a really good incentive and bridge to finding a solution when there is some conflict around length of contract.

The way the Broncos have been using them is completely different, it seems like we have been offering players options at the end of their contract AT THEIR MAX SALARY. This option value should be a floor / security net for the player, not a guarantee that regardless of their performance, they can choose to stay on at full pay even if the club potentially wants them out. As some have pointed out, a player performing well will always decline the option to ask for more money, while a poorly performing player will always take the option. It puts the club in a really poor position at the mercy of underperforming players who have been disincentivised to perform. I think the Broncos have used them as bargaining chips to keep players happy to get away with having to match shorter term big money offers from rivals, and I understand that, but it has backfired multiple times now and it can't continue.

We need to adapt... The way the game has gone, long-term contracts are now a poor way to build a team in general. The rules change almost every week (not an exaggeration unfortunately) and could flip back at any time, making a squad specifically built for one type of rule change completely useless overnight. Injuries and concussions are more frequent than ever now that the game is so unnecessarily quick and loose, meaning even superstar players can be rubbed out for long periods (or permanently) in the blink of an eye, and we are in an era where players (and teams) will cut ties at a moment's notice to go elsewhere with whatever excuse they can come up with... Stay dynamic, build a team using short term contracts to ensure constant performance - target rising stars, quickly cut dead wood and actively manage the squad. (The Haas contract is a rare exception to this, and I'll admit the club did extremely well there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Organix
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Allo
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.