Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I’m happy with each of those players ability to play in the spine separately an actual spine of :

1. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

Is imo very very ineffective at this point in their careers.
Yeah, I agree, it's gross. Maybe in 3-5 years we will looking at a Storm type big 3, but not right now.

The length of the contract could also be to ensure we dont have another situation where our players come off contract at the same time again.

if he resigns it is also a good look for the club.

Where everyone was certain there would be a mass exodus after fifita, we have since resigned; herbie, flegler (but on a shit contract IMO), bullemore, riki, staggs and piakura (rumoured).

If we can get coates and dearden to to resign That will be pretty impressive.

I think these resignings may be reflective of the better environment kev and the coaching staff have created in their short time.

If we can get some success now, it may return to a club people want to play for.

It’s on the good side of contracts. At his best, it’s still not overs (potentially unders) and it gives a boost to the team and those guys that have flirted with leaving something to consider.

I’d be worried about bringing him back this year though with how huge the injury toll is and will get further. Perhaps return him through QCup (he can learn to defend while he’s there) and wait for whatever disaster Vlandiddly will concoct for next season

Last edited:
So we can get Staggs on that money but completely overpaid out the arse for Flegler, how did that happen?
Stalin style contracts, everyone gets put on the same contract price 😅 Flegler V Staggs for 600 is light years of difference in quality. Even Oates is on 500.

Last edited:
I understand that the Broncos needed to retain Kotoni Staggs. However, the length of deals that the club is handing out is still a concern. Remember the Jack Bird, Anthony Milford, and Matt Lodge contracts were quite lengthy. I never thought Bird was a good fit for the Broncos though regardless of his injuries.

I will say though Staggs on $700,000 a year is good considering Joey Leilua is on $700,000 a year and Moses Mbye is getting $800,000 this year.

Last edited:
So we can get Staggs on that money but completely overpaid out the arse for Flegler, how did that happen?
If it's true then that Flegler deal is one of the worst there's been. He's had what, 1 good game against the Cowboys a few years ago?

Thomas Flegler was getting offered $800,000 a year from two sydney clubs apparently. There were teams that were willing to pay him more then what the Broncos got him for.

The Courier Mail reports the 20-year has sacrificed a whopping $1.8 million having rejected three-year deals worth $2.4 million in favour of a 12-month extension that will keep him at Red Hill until the end of 2021.

Flegler, who was eligible to talk with rivals from November 1, was not short on suitors with up to 11 clubs having expressed interest in signing the talented forward. His camp reportedly met with the Gold Coast Titans and North Queensland Cowboys while also fielding offers from two Sydney clubs believed to be worth $800,000 a season.

in favour of a 12-month extension that will keep him at Red Hill until the end of 2021.
He signed another contract extension in November last year which sees him through until the end of 2023, estimated at $650k a year.

He signed another contract extension in November last year which sees him through until the end of 2023, estimated at $650k a year.
Didn't someone suggest that his extension was more like $800k over two years, so basically it was $400k a year... and then it was noted that Smokin Joe liked the post??

Seems more logical that Sydney teams were offering $800k over the term of the contract rather than $800k per year, but the media fucked it and haven't bothered to fix it.

TPJ is apparently on $650k so I dont necessarily think the recruitment team see Flegler as comparable value to be offering him almost the same amount of money

Also when there's a value on the NRL contracts website I believe it is based on media articles rather than known contract values... so they're about as reliable as a Badel article

EDIT Found it
Screenshot 20210331 130152 Chrome

Last edited:
Didn't someone suggest that his extension was more like $800k over two years, so basically it was $400k a year... and then it was noted that Smokin Joe liked the post??

Seems more logical that Sydney teams were offering $800k over the term of the contract rather than $800k per year, but the media fucked it and haven't bothered to fix it.

TPJ is apparently on $650k so I dont necessarily think the recruitment team see Flegler as comparable value to be offering him almost the same amount of money

Also when there's a value on the NRL contracts website I believe it is based on media articles rather than known contract values... so they're about as reliable as a Badel article

EDIT Found it
View attachment 12076

Oh, well 450 for Flegler is far more reasonable. I’ll stop moaning on about it then, my bad.

Keep a eye on Levi; if Dearden takes a starters spot of Croft, i dont see Croft getting back in.

So, we still need a 14 on that bench. Levi "could" fill that, quite cheaply too...

Oh, well 450 for Flegler is far more reasonable. I’ll stop moaning on about it then, my bad.
I dunno even at price it's overs considering his performance imo.

Once upon a time he would be the sort of player that we would offer more reasonable contract (like 200-250k) and say earn it and we'll give you more or you can go to the highest bidder. We've been spooked into offering him something he doesn't deserve and hasn't earned. Can anyone say if Flegler wasn't in the side we would miss him?

600k ... you don't need to inflate the contract value Badel and his media mates have already done that for you 😉

It is $600k. He got an extra $100k for the 2020 season and then $600k a season after.

So i assume that you've seen the contract, involved in the negotiations maybe ... because surely you're not just taking Badel's word for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncos4life
  • Bronx48
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Thelmus
  • Galah
  • FACTHUNT
  • Griffo
  • teampjta
  • Johnny92
  • Painin the Haas
  • Fatboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wendall Taylor
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.