Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be terse, but if you don't think the NRL are turning some blind eyes when it comes to the Titans at the moment, I've got a shiny new bridge to sell you.
I think evidence would be handy. What have you got to back up your claim. By that I mean tangible evidence instead of conjecture.

I read in the Courier Mail that Anthony Milford has got 10 rounds to save his Broncos career. Kevin Walters apparently is a fan of Milford but he knows he can not keep this up and keep the door slightly open for Milford with his woeful performances. Broncos management want some firm decisions made on the future by June 30.

I will say this though, people on this forum suggesting Milford wouldn't secure a NRL contract and go to England were exaggerating his plight. It was reported two Sydney clubs are interested in him. If Bryce Cartwright can secure another contract after leaving the Titans then so can Milford.

Shouldn’t have let Macca go. He’s slow as but he’s reliable and experienced. Look at how the dragons are going. We came 8th with him in the team, and he didn’t lose a game he played for us last year. I was being a smart arse about it preseason but I think him returning was a blessing in disguise and I think he could’ve been the most important player in our team if we kept him. He would’ve been a better captain than Glenn.

Shouldn’t have let Macca go. He’s slow as but he’s reliable and experienced. Look at how the dragons are going.

Dragons are going well period. If Anthony Griffin keeps this up he may be potentially in line for coach of year. Most commentators said after the pre-season that the Dragons would be one of the worst teams in the comp. Dragons haven't faced the stiffest competition yet though (Rabbitohs, Panthers, Storm, Roosters).

Shouldn’t have let Macca go. He’s slow as but he’s reliable and experienced. Look at how the dragons are going. We came 8th with him in the team, and he didn’t lose a game he played for us last year. I was being a smart arse about it preseason but I think him returning was a blessing in disguise and I think he could’ve been the most important player in our team if we kept him. He would’ve been a better captain than Glenn.
I also was very happy when he briefly returned as he was needed. I'd have been happy to see him captain the side and have Turps on the bench. Three forwards and Turps. I thought his Newcastle form was very good and StG are loving him. Hunt was pleased too. StG with Hunt would have been a great side. They still may be.

It’s funny how the same people who were touting ‘Turpin is God’ were saying Macca’s slow, etc and laughing at people who claimed he’s great defensively are now the same people offerings up the same excuses for Turpin.

Dragons are going well period. If Anthony Griffin keeps this up he may be potentially in line for coach of year. Most commentators said after the pre-season that the Dragons would be one of the worst teams in the comp. Dragons haven't faced the stiffest competition yet though (Rabbitohs, Panthers, Storm, Roosters).
With so many ex broncos personnel at the dragons, you just know they’re going to put a cricket score on us

while I understand it's frustrating losing players we want to keep, especially given our table positions over the last two years, this is nothing new for us.

I get it, I get as upset and frustrated as anyone seeing some of these guys performances, but losing a player, doesn't necessarily mean the club is "at fault" or wrong about the position they've taken, even if that player happens to excel at their new clubs

while we didn't lose Sam Walker, if what's been said in here is true, then we definitely miscalculated (or botched if you like) our tactics in trying to lure him to our club. we should have played up our connections to his family, rather than excluded them from discussions, although Seibold would have been another obstacle in our way. the other question to ask is would Sam Walker have looked anywhere near as good in our systems, that Kevvie has only had 5 matches and 1 pre-season to rebuild, as opposed to the systems that Robinson has had 7 years to perfect? (remember he also finished as competition easy beats early in his Roosters career)

On Fifita, I maintain that is in no way a botch or a mistake from our management, as much as it is upsetting seeing his form against the middle of the road competition. the mistake would have been getting close enough to the Titans offer to retain him. it would have made it to difficult to recruit/retain players in positions of greater importance (i.e. spine). you only have to look at the Cowboys to see their mistakes and learn from them. Taumololo has been the best forward in the world for 3-5 years at least ... the Cowboys are paying him $1 million a season, and have been propping up the table for the last 3 years (only an incredible purple patch from Morgan in 2017 stopped them from missing the finals 4 years in a row).

In a competition that has a salary cap that is designed to do exactly what PVL said the NRL would never do, it is about prioritising your spending moving forward. it is about cap management; it is about careful allocation of funds, rather that reckless spending.

FYI, there are only 2 types of players i would even consider giving a $1 million+ a year contract to, under the current competition salary structure, both in the spine. they are a game managing halfback or hooker.

so what we need to do is take a deep breathe, and ask ourselves what is the best allocation of our available cap space moving forward:

1. Is it to prioritise investing even more heavily into our forward pack, while neglecting our halves and outside backs?

2. Is it to prioritise investing in even more talented but raw rookies?

3. Is it to make 1 or 2 astute purchases. experienced players in key positions that can help mentor and lead our young side? whether that be a player like Adam Reynolds/Gareth Widdop, or an experienced ISC player that is ready to be given a shot.

after that we just need to sit back, buckle in and get ready for a journey that will lead us back to the promised land, and as fans the end result will be even sweeter, knowing we stuck by our team during the toughest of times.

Remember, our Kevvie is still a rookie coach learning what it takes to succeed at this level when he isn't permitted a team full of superstars like he gets in Origin.

have faith people

p.s. I didn't mean to write an essay, just thought it about time to explain my position a bit more eloquently (hopefully I've done that) rather than resorting to the much easier, snide and snarky comments.

Excellent post mate, excellent.

Dragons efforts being extremely over-rated. They have done well, but have also had an extremely easy draw. They'll still struggle to make the 8.

People keep saying if we matched the Titans on Fifita’s deal it would be suicide as we wouldn’t be able to spend money on buying a supporting caste to surround him. What confuses me is Titans spent the money already have Taylor on a mil, was able to get Tino and Ese’ese and still seem to be able to make offers for Staggs, Coates, Piakura and Reynolds, so why couldn’t we? Something don’t add up. Titans can buy anybody that chooses to play for them but we can’t?
We can’t because we still had Bird, paid lodge way too much and paid flegler too much.

most clubs can afford to have 1 or 2 $1m players if they do it smart. We just have too many $650k+ players

Did I read that right? Reynolds is apparently after 700k for 3 years?? Why the heck haven't we signed him already? That's a great deal!
I’m sick to my stomach at the thought of the broncos messing this up.

I’m sick to my stomach at the thought of the broncos messing this up.
There's not a lot to stuff up. Rumour is he'll sign the one year deal with Souths and then sign a big contract as the Marquee player for the new Brisbane franchise with Bennett as coach.

There's not a lot to stuff up. Rumour is he'll sign the one year deal with Souths and then sign a big contract as the Marquee player for the new Brisbane franchise with Bennett as coach.

That was mentioned today on the Sunday Footy Show in the inside the ten segment. It was suggested Reynolds wouldn't likely risk it. Alot of cards would have to fall Reynolds way for that to happen. And there is too many variables when it would be far simpler for Reynolds to get a deal that he wants on the open market.

I just read if we sign Reynolds, we lose Dearden, Badel written so take it with a grain of salt.

Yes, that's the suggestion from the Brisbane Jets. It's not a rumour as such, just one of many options. We will be definitely putting a decent offer in front of him. Signing a one year deal offers absolutely zero security and I don't believe for a second that's the way he'll go. He wants one deal and I think the Broncos will table a three year deal and likely 750k pa. That's my best guess.

I just read if we sign Reynolds, we lose Dearden, Badel written so take it with a grain of salt.
Mmm, I don't think we will be able to afford Dearden as he unsurprisingly sees himself as a hot commodity. That's because he is. The Cows definitely are interested and will have cash ready. I'd be surprised if he stayed but the Broncos might offer something substantial but less than the Cows and he might not think he's sacrificing too much.

That was mentioned today on the Sunday Footy Show in the inside the ten segment. It was suggested Reynolds wouldn't likely risk it. Alot of cards would have to fall Reynolds way for that to happen. And there is too many variables when it would be far simpler for Reynolds to get a deal that he wants on the open market.

Yes, that's the suggestion from the Brisbane Jets. It's not a rumour as such, just one of many options. We will be definitely putting a decent offer in front of him. Signing a one year deal offers absolutely zero security and I don't believe for a second that's the way he'll go. He wants one deal and I think the Broncos will table a three year deal and likely 750k pa. That's my best guess.
Unless a deal is made in the next month there is no reason for Reynolds to rush his decision his value won’t drop, he can wait for the NRL to make their decision. I’m not saying it will happen, but I was replying to the post that essentially said the Broncos could stuff this up. Reynolds has al the power in this negotiation. As much as it would be great to get him we can’t stuff it up the other way by paying too much for him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  • MrRobot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.