Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, if you are playing 7, you steer the side around and manage the game basically. Yes, you need others to do their job but you are still the general. You get players like Smith who have done it from dummy half, but its usually the 7. I see that in Sam Walker, i dont see it yet in Dearden.

It all boils down to one thing really, and its starting to sound like a broken record from me, but its player development and knowing when to play them when they are ready. Clubs like the Storm and the Rorters generally play this kids after they have developed them in their systems and structures. Sometime they will throw them in here and there, but they will pull them back if they need it. All we have done for the last 2 years is play them before they are ready, throw them all in and hope they work, or panic and play them so they sign a contract if they look like leaving. We need to stay strong, even if we lose players, and develop players the way people like the Storm do. Long term, you get the benefits from it. We just need to stand our ground with players who want to hold us to ransom.
This. I feel the last kid we brought through properly was Staggs, and he was a sneaky late addition by Wayne and then back to Q Cup to hide him away some more. Fifita to a lesser extent, and I’m sure that was Wayne too.

The difference between Dearden and Alf would be roughly the same as the difference between me and the average NRL player. Totally different league.
Had you said the average broncos player then Dearden would he looking pretty good.

Personally I'd let Deardon go and take Reynolds, we desperately need some control and experience in the halves right now if we are to stop the pain.

Deardon won't be ready for another couple of years, let the Cows go through that pain waiting for him to learn.

Start looking for another young 7 to bring through then in 2-3 years we reassess, look at the market again or go with what we've got coming through.

Milford can’t be re-signed at the end of this year. He’s done nothing to earn a new contract. If Dearden can be signed for a reasonable price then he should be, but we need to tell him to sign in the next two weeks or we are looking elsewhere. We can’t wait and miss out on other options. Staggs should only go to 6 if we sign Reynolds as well.

Look Foordy, you're a good bloke, stout supporter of the club....

You have my respect, and im not looking for a slinging match with you...

But i do hope you can understand it when i see the keys to our revival playing elsewhere......fuckin hurts

But its also our own fault.

And im happy for the Tits, they have been largely irrelevant in our comp for decades...playing good attractive football now..

Guess we are Newcastle 2.0 form a few years back, and look how many wooden spoons they won in a row...

while I understand it's frustrating losing players we want to keep, especially given our table positions over the last two years, this is nothing new for us.

I get it, I get as upset and frustrated as anyone seeing some of these guys performances, but losing a player, doesn't necessarily mean the club is "at fault" or wrong about the position they've taken, even if that player happens to excel at their new clubs

while we didn't lose Sam Walker, if what's been said in here is true, then we definitely miscalculated (or botched if you like) our tactics in trying to lure him to our club. we should have played up our connections to his family, rather than excluded them from discussions, although Seibold would have been another obstacle in our way. the other question to ask is would Sam Walker have looked anywhere near as good in our systems, that Kevvie has only had 5 matches and 1 pre-season to rebuild, as opposed to the systems that Robinson has had 7 years to perfect? (remember he also finished as competition easy beats early in his Roosters career)

On Fifita, I maintain that is in no way a botch or a mistake from our management, as much as it is upsetting seeing his form against the middle of the road competition. the mistake would have been getting close enough to the Titans offer to retain him. it would have made it to difficult to recruit/retain players in positions of greater importance (i.e. spine). you only have to look at the Cowboys to see their mistakes and learn from them. Taumololo has been the best forward in the world for 3-5 years at least ... the Cowboys are paying him $1 million a season, and have been propping up the table for the last 3 years (only an incredible purple patch from Morgan in 2017 stopped them from missing the finals 4 years in a row).

In a competition that has a salary cap that is designed to do exactly what PVL said the NRL would never do, it is about prioritising your spending moving forward. it is about cap management; it is about careful allocation of funds, rather that reckless spending.

FYI, there are only 2 types of players i would even consider giving a $1 million+ a year contract to, under the current competition salary structure, both in the spine. they are a game managing halfback or hooker.

so what we need to do is take a deep breathe, and ask ourselves what is the best allocation of our available cap space moving forward:

1. Is it to prioritise investing even more heavily into our forward pack, while neglecting our halves and outside backs?

2. Is it to prioritise investing in even more talented but raw rookies?

3. Is it to make 1 or 2 astute purchases. experienced players in key positions that can help mentor and lead our young side? whether that be a player like Adam Reynolds/Gareth Widdop, or an experienced ISC player that is ready to be given a shot.

after that we just need to sit back, buckle in and get ready for a journey that will lead us back to the promised land, and as fans the end result will be even sweeter, knowing we stuck by our team during the toughest of times.

Remember, our Kevvie is still a rookie coach learning what it takes to succeed at this level when he isn't permitted a team full of superstars like he gets in Origin.

have faith people

p.s. I didn't mean to write an essay, just thought it about time to explain my position a bit more eloquently (hopefully I've done that) rather than resorting to the much easier, snide and snarky comments.

I don't know if any of this is really news, but the brown bucket is emptying the notion that this is the week our halfback dreams come true. It's all about what Reynolds wants and how that might impact what Dearden does. On one hand Reynolds could groom Tommy to be the Next Big Thing. On other other Dearden might **** off to one of four other clubs offering him in excess of $350,000 a season. A figure that might raise a few eyebrows at this stage in his development. But the Cowboys are willing to pony up right now, and take him immediately should the Broncos agree. Meanwhile Reynolds is looking for a three year deal at $700,000 a season.

Reynolds‘ manager Steve Gillis:

“Adam is certainly open to a move to Queensland, but we need to get an offer first.”

Cowboys football-operations boss Michael Luck:

“Tom is in the discussions around what we are doing for a halves replacement for ‘Cliffo’ next year. Our job is to put an NRL roster together that can help our talented young guys.”

Dearden's manager, Sam Ayoub:

“The Cowboys aren‘t the only club interested in him, there’s quite a few, but they have definitely been persistent in their pursuit of Tom over the years. I‘m not going to discuss a mid-season transfer because I have an obligation to protect Tom. Tom is a loyal kid with country ethics and he is not the sort of a guy who would make an instant decision to walk out on a club … unless he wasn‘t wanted.”

McHunt
Sweet, we sign Reynolds and if Tom’s smart he will value the next two years and learn as much as he can from one of the halfbacks of the last decade. If Tom doesn’t want the apprenticeship let him go to the cows and we go on the lookout for a young fella who does. Maybe Paix? I hope Tom looks at this as a good opportunity.

People keep saying if we matched the Titans on Fifita’s deal it would be suicide as we wouldn’t be able to spend money on buying a supporting caste to surround him. What confuses me is Titans spent the money already have Taylor on a mil, was able to get Tino and Ese’ese and still seem to be able to make offers for Staggs, Coates, Piakura and Reynolds, so why couldn’t we? Something don’t add up. Titans can buy anybody that chooses to play for them but we can’t?

People keep saying if we matched the Titans on Fifita’s deal it would be suicide as we wouldn’t be able to spend money on buying a supporting caste to surround him. What confuses me is Titans spent the money already have Taylor on a mil, was able to get Tino and Ese’ese and still seem to be able to make offers for Staggs, Coates, Piakura and Reynolds, so why couldn’t we? Something don’t add up. Titans can buy anybody that chooses to play for them but we can’t?
I guess mal is a machine at the toilet blocks.

Is paix a better half than hooker prospect?
Would it be worth chasing Reynolds letting deardon walk and putting time into him?

Not sure our cap was in great shape either. Walters was clearly in shock by the state of the budget when he arrived.

I don’t think they have much tied up in their backs. Apart from Taylor their spine looks to be put together on a budget. Pretty well put together too.

I don’t think they have much tied up in their backs. Apart from Taylor their spine looks to be put together on a budget. Pretty well put together too.
Apart from Oates on 500k our Milf cancels out Taylor so we’re much the same I think

The Titans were somehow able to convince the likes of Boyd and Cartwright to "sacrifice" their crappy contracts ... we had to pay other clubs to take our crappy contracts off our hands

The Titans were somehow able to convince the likes of Boyd and Cartwright to "sacrifice" their crappy contracts ... we had to pay other clubs to take our crappy contracts off our hands
About 1.4million between those 2 just magically off the books.

Not a team list, but a list of players from each position that are realistically “available” for next year that I’d hope we are looking at.
1 Nicho Hynes
2 Regan Grace
3 Hymel Hunt
4 Kurt Mann/Oliver Gildart
5 Jon Reuben
6 Aidan Sezar/Theo Fages
7 Adam Reynolds
8 Dunamis Lui
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jordan Grant
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Jaydn Sua
13 James Bentley

Not a team list, but a list of players from each position that are realistically “available” for next year that I’d hope we are looking at.
1 Nicho Hynes
2 Regan Grace
3 Hymel Hunt
4 Kurt Mann/Oliver Gildart
5 Jon Reuben
6 Aidan Sezar/Theo Fages
7 Adam Reynolds
8 Dunamis Lui
9 Brandon Smith
10 Jordan Grant
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Jaydn Sua
13 James Bentley
Not going to lie, That team would put 50 on our current squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• theshed
  • teampjta
  • mrslong
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.