Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coates is absolutely garbage in defence, but our whole team is. In attack on the wing he offers something we haven’t had since Yow Yeh, he is also extremely likeable. Whilst I don’t think we should break the bank for him, it will be disappointing losing yet another young player purely because they want to be in a good system. We used to be the good system.

Coates will go on to kill it at Melbourne and every single one of us will be salty as **** about it.

the vast majority of people in here will change their opinion about whether we should have re-signed Dearden too, if he happen to kill it in several years.

Hang on, you think because we don’t have a full time CEO we are literally unable to sign players?

You do understand how an acting CEO works right?
Do you? They typically do the basics to keep things flowing as business as usual but do not make big decisions affecting the business long term, otherwise they would be CEO.

If Coates ends up in Melbourne he will have to take unders, they have just re-signed Hughes, about to extend Papa, and will likely have to upgrade Grant. They are also concerned about Munster and the new Brisbane side. Finucane is also off contract and asking big money.

If Bellamy is the draw he’s only going to be there one more year. Coates public comments about loving the club, wanting to stay etc, for what they are worth, came sometime after he had met with Bellamy.

I just don’t see how Melbourne fit him in and I don’t see why they even need him given they could pull a winger out of qcup and they would look like a superstar playing outside that spine.

Titans are the biggest threat imo.

The likes of Hynes and Drinkwater shouldn't even be on the list of potential recruits. We need proven.

Out of the players mentioned, top two should be Reynolds and DCE. I'd take Johnson. With the likes of Farnworth, Coates, Staggs, Niu, Oates, Riki etc, Johnson could form quite a lethal combination with them but I wouldn't exactly be upset if we don't land Johnson either.

If neither of those 3 work out, we should look over in England.

Do you? They typically do the basics to keep things flowing as business as usual but do not make big decisions affecting the business long term, otherwise they would be CEO.
As we’ve covered in here ad nauseam, the Coach chooses who he wants, the R&R team make it happen and the Cap Manager ensures the funds are available.

An acting CEO is absolutely no barrier to any of that process and if it were then you’d have to explain how we managed to re-sign the people we have since Paul White left if an acting CEO can’t sign off on player contracts.

To sincerely believe no Dave Donaghy is all that’s holding us back from recruiting players is simply laughable and I presume rooted in a desperation to believe everything will instantly improve the moment his ass actually hits the CEO chair.

As we’ve covered in here ad nauseam, the Coach chooses who he wants, the R&R team make it happen and the Cap Manager ensures the funds are available.

An acting CEO is absolutely no barrier to any of that process and if it were then you’d have to explain how we managed to re-sign the people we have since Paul White left if an acting CEO can’t sign off on player contracts.

To sincerely believe no Dave Donaghy is all that’s holding us back from recruiting players is simply laughable and I presume rooted in a desperation to believe everything will instantly improve the moment his ass actually hits the CEO chair.

I have a feeling the consesus unspoken is that the R&R team have fucked things up, and they needs the CEO to put the cleaners through and oversee the sorting of the steaming pile of shit system and position we are in.

After the absolute clusterfuck the current clowns have made I do not think it is unreasonable to think that they would be waiting for the new CEO to sign off on big deals. I don't think that DD is some silver bullet my post was in relation to your assertion that someone else didn't understand how an acting CEO works when if you think that they are there for anything more than a holding pattern to wait for the actual CEO then you should be asking yourself that question.

@kooly87 , @007 & @broncos4life have pretty much covered it, but for my 2c I'll repeat it a different way...

If you were in DD's shoes, would you be wanting the clearly incompetent club make any massive signings that have the potential to shape both the direction of the playing group and its salary cap for the next however many years? I sure as **** wouldn't, not with their recent track record. They would be under strict orders to hold the fucking line until I could take a look at the shit show.

After the absolute clusterfuck the current clowns have made I do not think it is unreasonable to think that they would be waiting for the new CEO to sign off on big deals. I don't think that DD is some silver bullet my post was in relation to your assertion that someone else didn't understand how an acting CEO works when if you think that they are there for anything more than a holding pattern to wait for the actual CEO then you should be asking yourself that question.
Right, it's just that we HAVE made signings under an acting CEO. We've even apparently managed to put a 3 year deal in front of Kotoni Staggs which is worth anywhere from $2.4-2.8 million bucks.

Are these not big deals? IS this not the club conducting business as usual exactly as it would under a regular CEO?

Sorry, we're a publicly traded company and the acting CEO would be required to have exactly as much authority as the guy he's filling in for when it comes to operating the business. You can't honestly believe Dave Donaghy is sitting around waiting until he gets the keys to his office so that he can instruct on player signings? That's literally what we have an R&R team for and they've been doing their job exactly as normal (which I grant you, is poorly).

Kevin Walters himself indicated they've got plans for an experienced playmaker and that they made a call not to get into a bidding war for Dearden. These are major strategic decisions and Walters is setting the recruitment agenda, so we're functioning the exact same way we would be functioning under a normal CEO.

If you're genuinely prepared to overlook all this and tell me we simply aren't active because we're waiting for Dave Donaghy then I really can't help you.

That's not at all what's been established. The coach, R&R and the CEO all decide on recruitment together.

And there's a big difference between signing small contracts and making big money moves.

You don't actually know that Staggs has been offered a contract yet. There is no way am acting CEO makes big decisions unless they're necessary to keep the business functioning.

@kooly87 , @007 & @broncos4life have pretty much covered it, but for my 2c I'll repeat it a different way...

If you were in DD's shoes, would you be wanting the clearly incompetent club make any massive signings that have the potential to shape both the direction of the playing group and its salary cap for the next however many years? I sure as **** wouldn't, not with their recent track record. They would be under strict orders to hold the fucking line until I could take a look at the shit show.
There are two realistic scenarios here:

1. We're already operating 'business as usual' under an acting CEO and a Chairman because we HAVE had contracts signed and other major contracts tabled, all without Dave Donaghy or Paul White for that matter. The evidence on this is crystal clear.

2. Donaghy is already working behind the scenes and in regular contact with the relevant people to ensure he's across what's going on and what decisions are being made, even if an acting CEO has to sign the actual paperwork.

Neither of them support your preposition that he's sitting back twiddling his thumbs after telling everyone at the club to sit on their hands and promise not to break anything until May 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • kiwibronco
  • dirtyharry
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • bert_lifts
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • ostin86
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.