Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I love your optimism but didn't you also see enough in the Titans, Storm, Souths and Parra games to suggest we are not close and we need some better players recruited?
Well, yes and no. The way I see it we were well in those games at times. We were competitive for decent patches but I do also see your point. I tend to view each game in sections, good bad and indifferent. Haas said we aren't as far off as some think. Last year was similar until we lost all hope, we were able to match up well in parts.

Losing and winning both seem to be habits. I just don't think we are a long way from being bottom of the top eight. I do think we could benefit from gaining a couple of quality players but I'm unconvinced that Reynolds is the answer. Truthfully though, wtf would I know😀

I've been wrong many times before so I might be wrong again. I'd like to see Ash Taylor in our side and we could do with better defensive centres.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Staggs looks to be staying. Parra guys dont sound confident at all.

B

broncomax

NYC Player
Oct 5, 2013
I am saying it now - once DD starts tomorrow the rot will stop. Will be interesting to see if Nolan is given the boot.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Staggs looks to be staying. Parra guys dont sound confident at all.

He just isnt going to get a better offer financially than we will give him. We are desperate, other clubs arent so they wont fork out the huge money he thought he would get on a player who's attitude off field has been questionable and is coming off a serious knee injury.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
There's nothing new in this story. Kevvie's giving Badel nothing, so he's having to feather his column out with rehashed news.

I know it's fashionable to bash Badel for this, but it's tough having to keep the momentum going when the coach is giving you **** all. He's paid to file a few thousand words a day on the Broncos, and all Kevvie's got is he's waiting for Staggs to make up his mind. **** me dead that's pathetic.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Staggs is gone. These long negotiations rarely seem to go our way. And even if it does, he's fucking us around like Fifita all over again.

That aside, I have a bad feeling about Reynolds and hope we don't sign him. He should stay at Souths, that's his home. They know better than us what he's worth yet they're not willing to risk three years. He should accept the one year and prove them wrong. He can always go elsewhere at the end of that year. But it seems even he doesn't back himself that far out.

I get that he's a fantastic player - no argument - but he's not the player we want to build the club around. Maybe one year, but spending big on broken players got us to this point.
My worry is that we are beginning to sort the cap out and we could ruin it once again by chucking a shit load of money on a player who doesnt really want to come here.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
My worry is that we are beginning to sort the cap out and we could ruin it once again by chucking a shit load of money on a player who doesnt really want to come here.
$1m for a player who doesn’t want to come here and 800k to a player that doesn’t want to be here.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Haha while watching this I legit had the thought process “damn I kinda miss Copley...oh yeah”
I like Copley but ****, he has to call it soon...? He’s played about 4 games in the last 4 seasons. Poor guy is made of fucking glass. I actually don’t ever remember knowing anyone who gets injured more than him...

L

Locky24

QCup Player
May 17, 2009
I like Copley but ****, he has to call it soon...? He’s played about 4 games in the last 4 seasons. Poor guy is made of fucking glass. I actually don’t ever remember knowing anyone who gets injured more than him...

Josh Dugan?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I reckon all we really need this offseason is SJ in terms of playmakers. No, I am certainly not saying he is the answer to everything, what I am saying is that he is a piece of the puzzle. I think pairing him with Gamble/Staggs/Croft/Walters/whoever is fine for next year. If one of those succeed next to SJ that's great, if not you chase after one of the far better playmakers available for 23 but regardless, we need money for 23, not blow it ALL on the limited halves available for 22.

Then, next season, you offer Grant $1.5 million to come but of course you make sure he knows he has that sitting there for him unofficially from now. You also maybe see if you could jag a Munster or Brimson or fullback if "Milford" isn't ready by 23 or Herbie hasn't made the transition. Regardless, this is a 2-3 year re-build but patience and keeping money available for the right players are two super important things. Also, for 22, you bring in the other key pieces - Su'A, Capewell, Opacic, Mann and maybe one more forward, offer an upgrade to Haas too.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
Kahu?

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
E58E67F1 0035 49D7 B60F 2ADF1AB752C5

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I reckon all we really need this offseason is SJ in terms of playmakers. No, I am certainly not saying he is the answer to everything, what I am saying is that he is a piece of the puzzle. I think pairing him with Gamble/Staggs/Croft/Walters/whoever is fine for next year. If one of those succeed next to SJ that's great, if not you chase after one of the far better playmakers available for 23 but regardless, we need money for 23, not blow it ALL on the limited halves available for 22.

Then, next season, you offer Grant $1.5 million to come but of course you make sure he knows he has that sitting there for him unofficially from now. You also maybe see if you could jag a Munster or Brimson or fullback if "Milford" isn't ready by 23 or Herbie hasn't made the transition. Regardless, this is a 2-3 year re-build but patience and keeping money available for the right players are two super important things. Also, for 22, you bring in the other key pieces - Su'A, Capewell, Opacic, Mann and maybe one more forward, offer an upgrade to Haas too.

Obviously it depends on price and length he’s after but to me Hynes is one that is the most obvious. As you said, we need to keep big money free for Grant, Ponga or Munster so in the mean time you want 2 affordable spine improvers that won’t need long deals. Guys that will help us start building some wins but can be moved on once they’ve served there purposes. If we’re still struggling to get 2 wins a season, guys like Grant will wonder if all the money in the world is worth it.

1. Hynes (400k)
7. Johnson (700k)

It won’t win you a GF but if we are at least near the 8 with them in the spine, other guys will enjoy the challenge of being a part of a top 4 push.

Holding out on signings so you can afford Grant is pointless if the club performs so bad that he doesn’t want to come regardless. And we’ll have 2 new clubs with unlimited money to compete with to get signatures.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Obviously it depends on price and length he’s after but to me Hynes is one that is the most obvious. As you said, we need to keep big money free for Grant, Ponga or Munster so in the mean time you want 2 affordable spine improvers that won’t need long deals. Guys that will help us start building some wins but can be moved on once they’ve served there purposes. If we’re still struggling to get 2 wins a season, guys like Grant will wonder if all the money in the world is worth it.

1. Hynes (400k)
7. Johnson (700k)

It won’t win you a GF but if we are at least near the 8 with them in the spine, other guys will enjoy the challenge of being a part of a top 4 push.

Holding out on signings so you can afford Grant is pointless if the club performs so bad that he doesn’t want to come regardless. And we’ll have 2 new clubs with unlimited money to compete with to get signatures.

Yeah would love to get Hynes but the problem is I just don't think he is going to leave Melbourne as long as Bellamy is there. Now that changes if Bellamy leaves Melbourne next season but I don't think he will.

I really like the look of this team for next year, as you said, it won't win the GF but it will definitely be competitive:

1. Hynes/Hammer/Staggs/Niu
2. Coates
3. Farnworth
4. Opacic/Staggs/Niu
5. Oates
6. Staggs/Gamble/Milford/Croft/Someone unexpected
7. Johnson
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Pangai Jr
11. Su'A
12. Capewell
13. Asiata

14. Hetherington
15. Bullemor/Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Riki/Piakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • HVbronco
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.