Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it appears staggs may be 6, if this is not certain, in the interest of promoting transition planning in the halves, which we are traditionally not good at, it could be a good idea to pick up a young half to learn off and develop their game whilst working with reynolds (meaning they are ready to take the reigns when he retires) it could be an idea to poach tannah boyd or ash taylor on the cheap.

Tanah Boyd is under contract at the Titans next year.

Tanah Boyd could keep $1 million man Ash Taylor out of the Titans halves, legendary playmaker Darren Lockyer says, with Taylor now fighting for his NRL career.

Boyd, on a fraction of Taylor's salary, filled Gold Coast's five-eighth position for Saturday's win over Wests Tigers. Taylor was omitted due to a combination of form and injury, with the maligned playmaker still battling the after-effects of off-season hip surgery.

Boyd scored a try and made a try assist in a 36-28 defeat of the Tigers, which ended a three-game losing streak and pushed the Titans into seventh spot (4-5). He is well regarded at Gold Coast and unlike Taylor, is contracted for next season.

reckon as soon as Reynolds steps into the building, we need to begin our succession plans for him. No rush, as we still dont know if Staggs is the answer at 5/8th.

But if he is, then we need a complimentary halfback alongside him. A bit of long term strategic planning here and we have zero need to be without a top 5 halfback running our side for the next decade.

Also, be good if Reynolds would stay and become our halfs coach once he hangs up his boots...

Yeah so true. Physically he is unreal, all the talent in the world and that stepping he can do is up there with the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, he has implosion moments in him at critical times every game.
A few times this year he has dropped the ball chiming in as fullback in attack. If instead he was running onto this pass from someone who could pass it he would be good. He is a good player just not a fullback.

reckon as soon as Reynolds steps into the building, we need to begin our succession plans for him. No rush, as we still dont know if Staggs is the answer at 5/8th.

But if he is, then we need a complimentary halfback alongside him. A bit of long term strategic planning here and we have zero need to be without a top 5 halfback running our side for the next decade.

Also, be good if Reynolds would stay and become our halfs coach once he hangs up his boots...
Kevin, donuts and Wayne Bennett to fly down to Bondi and personally have a chat with Sam walker. How could he ever say no

Kevin, donuts and Wayne Bennett to fly down to Bondi and personally have a chat with Sam walker. How could he ever say no
Well he will say no for the next 2 years but maybe after that we might be able to do something.

was that when they were god awful? (and still are tbf)
They were OK in 2017. Despite being the reigning wooden spooners they just scraped into the finals with a pretty decent team that included other NRL prospects like Andrew Davey, Jordan Pereira and Braden Uele. Then the following year they won a wooden spoon.

The first time I became aware of Nicho was when he played in the 2015 Sea Eagles U/20s team that managed to upset the Cowboys and make it into the finals. Turbo was the star of the team but they had some pretty good players in Jesse Ramien, Liam Knight and Luke Garner. I think he ended up missing the grand final and they were just out-classed by a Penrith outfit who were a class above. That was just when Nathan Cleary was just emerging in 20s and while he wasn't an integral part of the team, in the few games he did play you could already make the argument he was the best player in the team. He also missed the grand final due to Australian Schoolboy commitments and they won comfortably.

Tanah Boyd is under contract at the Titans next year.

Tanah Boyd could keep $1 million man Ash Taylor out of the Titans halves, legendary playmaker Darren Lockyer says, with Taylor now fighting for his NRL career.

Boyd, on a fraction of Taylor's salary, filled Gold Coast's five-eighth position for Saturday's win over Wests Tigers. Taylor was omitted due to a combination of form and injury, with the maligned playmaker still battling the after-effects of off-season hip surgery.

Boyd scored a try and made a try assist in a 36-28 defeat of the Tigers, which ended a three-game losing streak and pushed the Titans into seventh spot (4-5). He is well regarded at Gold Coast and unlike Taylor, is contracted for next season.

Oh ok, zerotackle has not updated the status of his contract then.

We are going to lose a lot more players this year if we plan on fitting in a fullback, Gagai, Reynolds and a second rower.

I’d say we lose players like Alex Glenn, Richie Kenner, Ben Te’o, Anthony Milford, Keenan Palasia, Dale Copley, John Asiata, David Mead, Danny Levi and possibly Brodie Croft but to fit the new guys in our 17 we would also have to lose one of Lodge or Flegler, possibly Tesi Niu, and Isaako too.

We could legitimately be running out in 2022 with this as our 17!

1 Nicho Hynes
2 Corey Oates
3 Herbie Farnworth
4 Dane Gagai
5 Brenko Lee (not sure how he fits)
6 Kotoni Staggs
7 Adam Reynolds
8 Payne Haas
9 Jake Turpin
10 Matt Lodge
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Tevita Pangai Jr
13 Patrick Carrigan

14 Tyson Gamble
15 Ethan Bullemore
16 Jordan Riki
17 Brendan Piakura
That’d be a huge improvement. Looks weaker if you swap Flegler in for Lodge though, if DD can somehow lose Flegler and keep Lodge and put together a team something like this he’s a miracle worker.

We are going to lose a lot more players this year if we plan on fitting in a fullback, Gagai, Reynolds and a second rower.

I’d say we lose players like Alex Glenn, Richie Kenner, Ben Te’o, Anthony Milford, Keenan Palasia, Dale Copley, John Asiata, David Mead, Danny Levi and possibly Brodie Croft but to fit the new guys in our 17 we would also have to lose one of Lodge or Flegler, possibly Tesi Niu, and Isaako too.

We could legitimately be running out in 2022 with this as our 17!

1 Nicho Hynes
2 Corey Oates
3 Herbie Farnworth
4 Dane Gagai
5 Brenko Lee (not sure how he fits)
6 Kotoni Staggs
7 Adam Reynolds
8 Payne Haas
9 Jake Turpin
10 Matt Lodge
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Tevita Pangai Jr
13 Patrick Carrigan

14 Tyson Gamble
15 Ethan Bullemore
16 Jordan Riki
17 Brendan Piakura

Not sure Brenko is much of a winger. If that was the team you’d probably have Gagai and Brenko in the centres and Farnworth Oates on the wings. Which would actually be pretty good.

One outside the box idea would be chucking a 1 year deal at the off contract Granville. He’s not amazing but his speed around the ruck completely turns momentum for the cows when he comes on, and I think despite his age he offers far more than Levi. He’d also add another older experienced guy around the club who’s won a gf.

1. Nicho Hynes
2. Corey Oates
3. Dane Gagai
4. Brenko Lee
5. Herbie Farnworth
6. Katoni Staggs
7. Adam Reynolds (C)
8. Thomas Flegler
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Jaydn Sua
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Jake Granville
15. Ethan Bullimore
16. Rhys Kennedy
17. Jordan Riki

Though I still don’t see how we fit Riki and Piakura in the team if we sign and second rower.

Not sure Brenko is much of a winger. If that was the team you’d probably have Gagai and Brenko in the centres and Farnworth Oates on the wings. Which would actually be pretty good.

One outside the box idea would be chucking a 1 year deal at the off contract Granville. He’s not amazing but his speed around the ruck completely turns momentum for the cows when he comes on, and I think despite his age he offers far more than Levi. He’d also add another older experienced guy around the club who’s won a gf.

1. Nicho Hynes
2. Corey Oates
3. Dane Gagai
4. Brenko Lee
5. Herbie Farnworth
6. Katoni Staggs
7. Adam Reynolds (C)
8. Thomas Flegler
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Jaydn Sua
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Jake Granville
15. Ethan Bullimore
16. Rhys Kennedy
17. Jordan Riki

Though I still don’t see how we fit Riki and Piakura in the team if we sign and second rower.
Great time I reckon. I would prefer to offload Flegler and keep Lodge though and Isaako instead of Oates. I like Oates but he got owned last night by a second year player which shouldn't happen.

If only we had three of the greatest halves of the early NRL era at our club...

Broncos are missing speed men. Our current fastest player is probably Xavier Coates and look at the gap Saab put on him even with the ball in hand. In previous years we had Chris Walker, Denan Kemp, James Roberts. Time to recruit a couple of speedsters.

Broncos are missing speed men. Our current fastest player is probably Xavier Coates and look at the gap Saab put on him even with the ball in hand. In previous years we had Chris Walker, Denan Kemp, James Roberts. Time to recruit a couple of speedsters.

Coates is one of the fastest players in the game and Saab was on the other side of the field to him so I’m not sure when they crossed paths during the game.

Coates is one of the fastest players in the game and Saab was on the other side of the field to him so I’m not sure when they crossed paths during the game.
Ahh yeah you're right, it was Corey Oates that got Black Caviared by Saab.
Still, once Coates leaves next year we'll be lacking speed unless they recruit well.

Still, once Coates leaves next year we'll be lacking speed unless they recruit well.

Hammmmmmmmmmerrrrrrrrrrrr

Oates is quick in a straight line but so slow at turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • marw
  • Fatboy
  • Pablo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Spike
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.