Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
And that is why neither of them should be on huge money, there is no argument there but Allan is reportedly currently gettable, that's a big thing! Also, he's an old boy, another big thing! He has more potential than Drinkwater and just played really well in a massive game, another big thing lacking in our current side. Plus, spine players and their effectiveness is very much affected by their forwards, something our side massively struggled with last year due to injuries and a dunce of a coach. Two things that will hopefully be better next year.

Fair enough, at the end of the day it does come down to availability.

My post was just saying that if you offered me both for the same price I'd be taking Drinkwater. There are cases to be made for both players.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

My post was just saying that if you offered me both for the same price I'd be taking Drinkwater. There are cases to be made for both players.
Drinkwater is a gun. Would be happy with either. We just need a first grade level fullback.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
The lack of qcup this year really hurt us.

If qcup was played we'd know:
- if Niu was a legitimate fullback option moving forward
- if Dearden was a legitimate halfback moving forward
- Best position for Bullemor (prop, lock, 2nd row)
- Best position for Riki (prop, 2nd row)
- if Paix had it in him as a hooker moving forward
- Coates as a winger or center

I have absolutely no doubt that 2020 was meant to be a bit of a holding pattern with all the young guys intended to play ISC to get some experience under their belt and figure out who was ready for NRL and slowly introduce them into the team whilst moving out the others.

There's complaints about how the storm seem to have a production line of talent and in the next line seeing calls to give up on Niu and whether Walsh can come into the team.

The young guys who did well over the last few years served an apprenticeship in ISC (Haas, Carrigan, Staggs, Herbie, Fifita, Isaako, etc.)... some may not have been a very long apprenticeship, but at least you had enough confidence in them being able to compete against men instead of being the biggest kid in high school.

I think the desperation for a fullback and other positions at the moment is basing the talent of Niu and anyone else on what they have shown in limited NRL games this year whilst ignoring that most of these guys haven't served an apprenticeship in qcup and their first taste of serious football is in the NRL against seasoned vets.

The trouble now is that recruitment have to make a decision on a whole bunch of guys off contract. Staggs is a proven talent so it's easier to put a value on him, but how do you put a value on Dearden, Coates, Niu, Piakura, Bullemor, etc. without knowing how they will adapt, but making sure the offer is reasonable enough to compete with other teams who are willing to take a gamble.

It's ok to gamble 1 or 2 positions, but gambling on half of a potential starting 13 is a huge risk and resulted in a wooden spoon this year.

We've also sold off any guys with NRL experience that could've acted as a placeholder in the 17 until the young guys were ready for NRL... so now some of these young guys will have to learn in the NRL or because they've had NRL experience they'll see a demotion to qcup as a negative and potentially look elsewhere (communication from the coach is key here).

I'm not sure who's at fault for the total shitshow that has been the transition of young guys into the team, but I feel they're still at the club. I don't think Seibold necessarily wanted to field the youngest most inexperienced team in the comp, but I doubt he stood up in meetings and demanded a stop to the exodus.

The unfortunate thing is the exodus is still going on... what experienced players we did have are slowly leaving as well (Bird, Offa potentially, Lodge if you believe rumours, on top of Kahu, Darius, etc.). Most will be happy, but we were also happy when Kniko, etc. were moved on.

Unfortunately we are in a position where we either decide that 2021 is a holding pattern and allow the young guys to go back to qcup with a war chest for 2022 to fill the holes OR we look to sign potentially less than ideal players that are available and lose guys who after serving an apprenticeship may become better than the guys we sign.

The calls for Allan is banking on what he's shown so far (in limited games at fullback but also a season on the wing in 2019) as being better than what Niu may become, but if we sign Allan then Niu has no pathway and would likely look elsewhere. Whereas if we play Isaako at fullback (as a capable placeholder), whilst Niu plays qcup we can see if he's a legitimate option heading into the future or if we need to make serious investment in 2022.

Personally I'm not sold on Allan as a long term fullback... but I'm not sold on Niu either. It would be good business if we could lock him down on a 12 month extension and reevaluate his value after a year in ISC, but he just signed a 12 month extension and may not want to wait around for a payday
I agree with you completely in the earlier parts but the question is why we didn’t do that the year before... but the idiots that were in control of this team got rid of some of our experienced players in 2019 when this process should’ve been happening but now their the best we’ve got and we have to play them

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I don’t think we were wrong to release either Sua or Allan and the desperation from some wanting them back is probably an indication of the how thin the player market is atm and why the club has to be careful not to fall into the trap of new is better & go on a spending spree for players they otherwise wouldn’t have looked twice at. The roster is capable of finals, as it was this year. A bit of luck with injuries and some simplified messaging from Kevvie could see a vast improvement.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Well I think something is definitely happening.................................. at the moment we are clearing the decks.........................Bird gone, Joe apparently gone.

So there is clearly a plan in progress we are just not privy to it.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Drinkwater is a gun. Would be happy with either. We just need a first grade level fullback.
Exactly... if we arent confident in getting a fullback than we should try and loan a decent one that we can get value out of for a year while Walsh or Niu get some experience against men in Q-cup

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
Persist with Niu, Arthur's or Herbie at FB until Walsh is ready. Or play Walsh at 6 when milf goes.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Ok I have just come to a realisation... Tex Hoy! Has a lot of potential is a solid fullback that has the playmaking ability we are kind of looking for at the back... Isn’t going to break fullback or the halves at the knights anytime soon especially now they have Mann and Clifford to choose from at 6... just believe he is more promising and currently better than drinkwater and Allan

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Forget about Drinkwater. There is no way the Cowboys will release him with Clifford having signed with Newcastle for 2020 (likely to be there for 2021 with a release).

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I agree with you. I think both are really good options and would be happy with either, I just am the opposite when it comes to the choice as I have long been a fan of Allan. :)

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I agree with you completely in the earlier parts but the question is why we didn’t do that the year before... but the idiots that were in control of this team got rid of some of our experienced players in 2019 when this process should’ve been happening but now their the best we’ve got and we have to play them
In 2019 Dearden, Tesi, Coates, etc. were all like 17 and 18 years old and playing MM cup, etc... age restrictions may have meant they couldn't even play ISC.

I think when they turned 18 and MM cup finished they played some ISC, but their exposure was limited, because they were young, undeveloped physically and were potentially still in school.

2020 would've been their apprenticeship year just like 2017 & 2018 were for Haas, Carrigan, Staggs, etc.

However, due to Covid, a horrific injury run and lack of depth Seibold and the admin panicked and these 18 and 19yr olds were thrown into NRL each with less than 10 ISC games that they probably played 6-12 months earlier

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Given how he was absolute dog-shit this year, he could have made the change at the start of 2020.
ehh didn't his wife/partner have breast cancer or some shit?

i mean, I'm happy to let offa go as he's not value for money, but if we're cutting slack for isaako then I think this situation deserves the same consideration.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
ehh didn't his wife/partner have breast cancer or some shit?

i mean, I'm happy to let offa go as he's not value for money, but if we're cutting slack for isaako then I think this situation deserves the same consideration.
I’ll be honest, I totally forgot that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I feel the same about Drinkwater.

I think Drinkwater has a bit more currently in his arsenal than Allan. Both could become very good if they develop, but both have a lot of flaws as well. Seeing Drinkwater play in ISC i just feel he is a better fullback option for us for 2021 than Allan.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Forget about Drinkwater. There is no way the Cowboys will release him with Clifford having signed with Newcastle for 2020 (likely to be there for 2021 with a release).
He is still a Cowboy for 2021

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
In 2019 Dearden, Tesi, Coates, etc. were all like 17 and 18 years old and playing MM cup, etc... age restrictions may have meant they couldn't even play ISC.

I think when they turned 18 and MM cup finished they played some ISC, but their exposure was limited, because they were young, undeveloped physically and were potentially still in school.

2020 would've been their apprenticeship year just like 2017 & 2018 were for Haas, Carrigan, Staggs, etc.

However, due to Covid, a horrific injury run and lack of depth Seibold and the admin panicked and these 18 and 19yr olds were thrown into NRL each with less than 10 ISC games that they probably played 6-12 months earlier
I guess the argument is that getting spanked in the NRL is better for their development than not playing any footy for 16 months due to there being no ISC. I wonder if Kev will have the balls to drop them all back to reserves to earn their way back to first grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rambstien
  • The Boss
  • Pablo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncs30
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.