Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didnt we sign Cobbo for three years?

Ill tell you why.

Under the rules for approaching players, you are allowed to speak to other teams players during their final 2 years of their contract, but cant formally offer a contract until Novemebr 1st the year before the current contract runs out.

So Cobbo can be approched by other clubs next season.

We simply have to get a signature on a three year deal for mine next time we re-sign another young player.

Gotta put more thought into this Broncs....

Ill tell you why.

Under the rules for approaching players, you are allowed to speak to other teams players during their final 2 years of their contract, but cant formally offer a contract until Novemebr 1st the year before the current contract runs out.

We simply have to get a signature on a three year deal for mine next time we re-sign another young player.

Or the cap will go up in two years time (they took a reduction due to covid) and the players know that so most of them are signing two year deals because when the caps bigger their salaries will increase. No point signing for 400k a year for 4 years when the cap might go up by a couple of mill in 2024 and the 400k might represent 550k a year under the new cap.

Coates has been average, we should drop him and start Cobbo for some development.

I can't recall Coates catching a single attacking bomb since his debut. Currently I'm not sure what else he offers. His defence reads are questionable, his footwork seems non existent and for his size he gets folded plenty on his kick returns. Although his returns have gotten better. He is fast, but we are not good enough to utilise his speed.

I get that he is young, still growing into his body and I'm sure one day he will be a fantastic player. But currently, he is not. I was not upset to lose him to Melbourne. In fact, to have paid him nearly a half mill would have been another retention error from us. Similar to the ones which have handicapped us over the last few years.

I can't recall Coates catching a single attacking bomb since his debut. Currently I'm not sure what else he offers. His defence reads are questionable, his footwork seems non existent and for his size he gets folded plenty on his kick returns. Although his returns have gotten better. He is fast, but we are not good enough to utilise his speed.

I get that he is young, still growing into his body and I'm sure one day he will be a fantastic player. But currently, he is not. I was not upset to lose him to Melbourne. In fact, to have paid him nearly a half mill would have been another retention error from us. Similar to the ones which have handicapped us over the last few years.
The space he leaves on his wing for the opposition and his next to zero input means we are effectively playing with 12 men before anyone is sin binned.

Ill tell you why.

You can speak to a player whenever you want and speak about off contract years whenever you want.

You can't register a contract until Nov 1 of the last year.

No one can speak to Cobbo about 21. 22 or 23 and they can't register a contract for him until Nov 1 2022 to join you for 2024.

One year extension is a good call, he's played six ISC games. Another three years on top of 21 and 22 would have meant until 2025- that's a massive investment in a unknown at this stage.

You give yourself time for him to maybe play a few games this year or have a good look at him next year and then extend him again. Clever by the Broncos and Cobbo.

Smarts signings all around. Some promising youth locked down before hitting the open market with enough time to get a gauge on who to keep and who to let go - and can extend those worthy prior to their final year.

Hetherington to accept would be nice plus a couple more decent outside signings for next year to join Reynolds and we are on the way back up.

DD Megadoodoo looks to be implementing a decent R&R framework.

Some good budget regulars are what we need.

Its kinda crazy we managed to lock Haas up for 500k, when you consider Fleg and Lodge are well beyond that.

Some good budget regulars are what we need.

Its kinda crazy we managed to lock Haas up for 500k, when you consider Fleg and Lodge are well beyond that.
Haas is criminally underpaid and i would be doing all sorts of shady side deals to keep him at the Broncos if i was DD.

On another note, man i would love to see The Cheese come to the Broncos, probably more than any other player at this stage and i reckon him and Reynolds and our forward pack would be enough to get the Broncs into the top 4.

Haas is criminally underpaid and i would be doing all sorts of shady side deals to keep him at the Broncos if i was DD.

On another note, man i would love to see The Cheese come to the Broncos, probably more than any other player at this stage and i reckon him and Reynolds and our forward pack would be enough to get the Broncs into the top 4.

Not sure if I would be going for Hynes if it leaves us unable to make a reasonable offer for Smith.

Not sure if I would be going for Hynes if it leaves us unable to make a reasonable offer for Smith.
Ditto, ideally we get both, but if i had to choose one it would be Smith every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • mitch222
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • whykickamoocow
  • Shane Tronc
  • Tim K
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.