Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I only have issues with it, he doesn't make our team better and the priority should be to find more starters then depth signings who haven't even proven to be better then the depth signings we already have.

If it came after getting Hynes or a fullback signing I would have less issues with it though, but if its before we get our fullback that is a big strike i have against Kevvies nepotistic signing.

Lets be honest take the walters name off him and there is 0% chance we would chase a player that is no better then any hooker we could find in Qcup that we don't already have.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I should clarify that I am also ok with it depending on price and length but don’t want him pushed ahead of Paix unnecessarily as Paix really seems to be becoming good. I also still don’t see what Walters offers that Gamble doesn’t already either.
This is what will happen, it’s exactly why I have an issue with it. Everyone has biases, kevvie is no different. If he was a superstar it’d be different, but I hate the idea of him coming here.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I love billy he is a great bloke and would really help us get Nicho as they are mates but I think him being a fringe player it would just be untenable unless the selection was taken out of his hands. Because if he picks him and he deserves it happy days but every other way such as dropped, put in when not deserving or being dropped when not deserved will just create friction and unnecessary issues between the two... I understand their professionals but being such a proud father I can’t see him making the best decisions come selection time when his son is in the mix

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm surprised Paix has fallen completely out of favour, he's playing quite well in Queensland Cup.

6 games - 5 tries, 7 linebreaks, 3 try assists, 1 linebreak assist, 2 forced drop outs, 55 running metres per game.

Compared to Turpin's numbers this season (in the NRL)

12 games - 0 tries, 0 linebreaks, 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 0 forced drop outs, 25 running metres per game.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'm surprised Paix has fallen completely out of favour, he's playing quite well in Queensland Cup.

6 games - 5 tries, 7 linebreaks, 3 try assists, 1 linebreak assist, 2 forced drop outs, 55 running metres per game.

12 games - 0 tries, 0 linebreaks, 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 0 forced drop outs, 25 running metres per game.

Yeah this is kind of part of the discussion really. Unless Paix will take over from Turps next season??

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

i'm not really sure it's that he has fallen out of favour ... i think there is a very good possibility it is more that we are still trying to transition him to hooker and have decided (quite rightly) that the best place to do that is the ISC.

much better for his development that he get big minutes and plenty of games into his legs. this is how the Storm develop their players. 10 minutes in the NRL a week Won't do him any good. switching between the halves and hooker also won't do him any good.

Kevvie has a few things to fix, one of which is how we were developing our players ... we could do worse than taking a leaf out of the Storms book (or our book from the 90's and 00's)

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018

I want to think Paix has not fallen out of favour rather, he has been given time and space to develop properly in a position that is still relatively new to him. We brought Levi in hoping he'd relieve some pressure on Turps but he's not exactly set the place on fire either.

Let Paix get another half a dozen games in ISC and then start to bring him in for one or two stints in first grade off the bench.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Paix got well and truly thrown in the deep end last year. I think it’s sensible to give him a full season of cup this year. Grant had a few seasons of cup domination before he regularly played NRL.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

25 running metres per game? Which games were they? From what I can remember, I reckon it would be half that.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah I'm all for Paix getting time developing in Q Cup, I just want Walters Jr being recruited in unnecessarily put in his way.

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
When Austin Rivers played for the LA Clippers, the coach was his dad - Doc Rivers. Players eventually showed discontent with the favourable treatment the coach gave to his son and that fractured the team chemistry. Eventually they hired Jerry West as a consultant and traded Austin Rivers on to another team under his recommendation.

Broncos should take a leaf from that page and learn a thing or two. Although in saying that, the Clearys @ Penrith are going great guns BUT Billy Walters isn't a blue chip player and is expendable.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Hooker for us is becoming a serious issue.

Fullback, every now and then Isaako will show us a bit of brilliance. Hynes has an offer on the table (Cobbo a future talent, even Tesi Nui showed a bit of spark in his limited opportunities), we can work with what we have there.

Halves, Reynolds next year and then Kevvie can try and a few different players until he finds the right player he needs in the 5/8 role.

Hooker, Turpin.. he's a tackling machine but that's all he is, I can't recall a single thing he has done which created some havoc for the opposition with ball in hand. He may be a leader amongst the group and consistently makes 50 tackles a week but we are going need to a bit more from dummy half behind a pack consisting of the likes of Payne Haas. I know it's out of the realm of possibility but imagine someone like Damien Cook coming out of dummy half after Payne Haas makes one of those half breaks, absolute terror for the opposition, we don't get that from Turpin, we don't get anything actually.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
When Austin Rivers played for the LA Clippers, the coach was his dad - Doc Rivers. Players eventually showed discontent with the favourable treatment the coach gave to his son and that fractured the team chemistry.
Trick is to only have your in laws play for you hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• john1420
  • johnyE
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Shane Tronc
  • Yem
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
  • Seibs
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.