Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
There is obviously something more to it, the media and some other content creators have skirted the edges. Maybe they just don't want to spread unfounded rumors. Is he still off the drink? From my understanding he has been a clean skin since he has been with us so I hope that appearance is a reality. Not sure how to read old Lodge he is not a dumbo so what he says can be well thought out, I believe him when he says he is committed to us, but he also says it is a business so I think he is committed to whoever is paying.

In the long run we need one of our big dollar forwards moved on, Lodge has been good but he is not replaceable. We need to get this cap in order and have more depth/quality across the park. Moving Milf on frees up about 500k or there abouts to spend on another back, free up Lodges coin could net two more players next year. It's obvious our depth in the forwards is made up of inexperienced youth, so we need some toilers there to fix our team imbalance.
Oh I agree, but I'm not 100% convinced the issue here is purely financial. We have lots of players if the rationale was purely contingent on cash. We've got players that other clubs have made passes at previously like Flegler who would be the obvious choice if were reducing the forwards budget.

They surely also know that TPJ and Lodge are tight and doing the dirty on one, almost certainly drops our chances of retaining TPJ.

The player group wanted Lodge to be captain during our worst years - only shot down due to his history. The players obviously respect him, he's not the only overpaid player up front and he's got strong links to other must retain talent. Something for mine is not adding up here.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Oh I agree, but I'm not 100% convinced the issue here is purely financial. We have lots of players if the rationale was purely contingent on cash. We've got players that other clubs have made passes at previously like Flegler who would be the obvious choice if were reducing the forwards budget.

They surely also know that TPJ and Lodge are tight and doing the dirty on one, almost certainly drops our chances of retaining TPJ.

The player group wanted Lodge to be captain during our worst years - only shot down due to his history. The players obviously respect him, he's not the only overpaid player up front and he's got strong links to other must retain talent. Something for mine is not adding up here.
I don’t want to contribute to gossip but there have been reports he’s a prickly character and a punish around training. Very opinionated on how things are done or should be done - though under Seibold that is probably a positive things.

Maybe some of the guys who are more familiar with the opinion of players can comment on if there’s any truth.

DD would’ve been CEO when Lodge was sacked from Storm I think; and Walters was possibly an assistant there at the time.

Also, Lodge had a heated run in with Walter’s best mate Tallis.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I don’t want to contribute to gossip but there have been reports he’s a prickly character and a punish around training. Very opinionated on how things are done or should be done - though under Seibold that is probably a positive things.

Maybe some of the guys who are more familiar with the opinion of players can comment on if there’s any truth.

DD would’ve been CEO when Lodge was sacked from Storm I think; and Walters was possibly an assistant there at the time.

That to me would certainly make more sense. I just hope this isn't the start of a new 'sacked WB' type rift between the admin and the players.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
completely unrelated and off topic, but i worry about origin time with blokes like Haas being surrounded by a whole bunch of Roosters players and Freddie Fitler in his ear for the entire origin series.

I really hope the Broncos are looking after Haas in every way possible so that the temptation of a Roosters contract doesn't drag him away from the Broncos.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
completely unrelated and off topic, but i worry about origin time with blokes like Haas being surrounded by a whole bunch of Roosters players and Freddie Fitler in his ear for the entire origin series.

I really hope the Broncos are looking after Haas in every way possible so that the temptation of a Roosters contract doesn't drag him away from the Broncos.
You mean like all Origin camps he’s been in?

Want him to stay?

win.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
You mean like all Origin camps he’s been in?

Want him to stay?

win.
I mean, that wasn't the point, but ok?
All i meant was he will have Freddy in his ear for the entire series, along with Tedesco and a few others letting him know how welcome he would be down there when blokes like JWH move on, and that uncle Nick has a boat moored in Sydney harbor with his name on it.

Remember, we are not paying Haas anywhere near his worth, so other clubs dont have to push to hard to get those temptation juices flowing.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently Buzz """"spotted"""" Hynes with an NRL coach today. Dunno where, I don't have a subscription. I'm just gonna assume it's Kevin.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Apparently Buzz """"spotted"""" Hynes with an NRL coach today. Dunno where, I don't have a subscription. I'm just gonna assume it's Kevin.
Nope, apparently, him, his dad and his agent were meeting with Fitzgibbon.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Guess he's fishing for more money, but which club is he using as a throwaway bargaining chip?

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014

This I can believe, I recall that time Lodge just appeared after a game and fronted for questions in the presser room as Pies was leaving he looked back and said "oh hello" or some nonsense . I could see him feeling like a leader, almost a protector for some of these young blokes but also a standard setter. So if he feels things are not being done right he would say it. He seemed off Boyd last year and I could imagine he would likely be off Milf, interestingly there was that chatter about some players being off others for not pulling their share and had to do with older vs younger players.

What can make a guy like Lodgey worse is his own past issues, standards and limits he sets for himself he also sets as standards for those around him. So those who like a drink may rub him the wrong way now. All things you would see in a microcosm such as a footy team, personalities rubbing the wrong way. So a judgement has to be made by those in charge for the greater good, Lodge may be both a good or bad thing for the team as a unit.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This I can believe, I recall that time Lodge just appeared after a game and fronted for questions in the presser room as Pies was leaving he looked back and said "oh hello" or some nonsense . I could see him feeling like a leader, almost a protector for some of these young blokes but also a standard setter. So if he feels things are not being done right he would say it. He seemed off Boyd last year and I could imagine he would likely be off Milf, interestingly there was that chatter about some players being off others for not pulling their share and had to do with older vs younger players.

What can make a guy like Lodgey worse is his own past issues, standards and limits he sets for himself he also sets as standards for those around him. So those who like a drink may rub him the wrong way now. All things you would see in a microcosm such as a footy team, personalities rubbing the wrong way. So a judgement has to be made by those in charge for the greater good, Lodge may be both a good or bad thing for the team as a unit.
I really think it’s mostly to do with salary cap at the end of the day.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'm telling you, the Sharks are desperate to sign a big name and at the moment, Hynes is a big name. He isn't what they need at all but I think that is irrelevant after they missed out on Reynolds. They don't want to lose two big names to Brissy.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

We could use another Shane Webke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Dony Eliakim
  • sooticus
  • Griffo
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Maroon4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.