Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel you could really see what a Hodgson type of hooker can bring.

I think he had 2 try assists and a try... the try was just him backing up through the middle, but the try assists were all about his forwards knowing where to be and then him picking the right pass... imagine what he could do with Haas and TPJ.

Outside of the 10m zone he also had the forwards humming over periods as he was getting out of dummy half and committing defenders.

I thought he may have overplayed his hand a little too much in the attacking zone, because it felt like Wighton got no ball... but it may have been coaching to send everything right and attack the roosters left side, and specifically Lam. Although for 95% of the week Sam Walker was playing so you would think raiders would've focussed on sending a lot of traffic left at Walker after what TPJ did to him.

It may have also been about Hodgson trying to put himself in the shop window to get out of the ACT.

Whilst Hodgson may take over too much at the raiders, I think the broncos could really do with that right about now.

We have Reynolds coming next year, but we need focal points of our attack. Staggs at 6 is a runner so he will need men inside him doing the work to give him space.

We hope to get Hynes, but he's a pretty structured ball player or at least he likes to play off the back of structure and exploit defensive mistakes on the back of it.

Having a hooker that can create opportunities brings another point of attack for the defenders to try and cope with. He's not a runner, but he has that 1-2 steps that you want from a dummy half that keeps the ruck defenders occupied and stalls the defensive line speed.

I like your analysis. To me, Hodgson thinks instead of simply reacting, he creates and also takes opportunities, like all the top shelf dummy halves. I don't see any smarts like that in Turps. As for Hynes, I see him as a smart FB in the same away as Hodgson.

Be good to have both, however I feel the no. 9 is more important than the 1.

I feel you could really see what a Hodgson type of hooker can bring.

I think he had 2 try assists and a try... the try was just him backing up through the middle, but the try assists were all about his forwards knowing where to be and then him picking the right pass... imagine what he could do with Haas and TPJ.

Outside of the 10m zone he also had the forwards humming over periods as he was getting out of dummy half and committing defenders.

I thought he may have overplayed his hand a little too much in the attacking zone, because it felt like Wighton got no ball... but it may have been coaching to send everything right and attack the roosters left side, and specifically Lam. Although for 95% of the week Sam Walker was playing so you would think raiders would've focussed on sending a lot of traffic left at Walker after what TPJ did to him.

It may have also been about Hodgson trying to put himself in the shop window to get out of the ACT.

Whilst Hodgson may take over too much at the raiders, I think the broncos could really do with that right about now.

We have Reynolds coming next year, but we need focal points of our attack. Staggs at 6 is a runner so he will need men inside him doing the work to give him space.

We hope to get Hynes, but he's a pretty structured ball player or at least he likes to play off the back of structure and exploit defensive mistakes on the back of it.

Having a hooker that can create opportunities brings another point of attack for the defenders to try and cope with. He's not a runner, but he has that 1-2 steps that you want from a dummy half that keeps the ruck defenders occupied and stalls the defensive line speed.
Having a hodgson like player is good against teams with good line speed or that rush up on the edges (i.e. melbourne, -this is why canberra was a boogey team for melbourne), this would allow us to get creative with our strength, our middles. That way we could use them not only to gain metres but actually attack the line.

Hodgson is a great player and would being a lot to any team. He is a hog though and I wonder how that would work with Reyno.

it reminds me of that video of a side of Wayne rarely seen by the public eye, where he was yelling at Hodgson in the English training session “don’t fucking kick!”

Thats just rubbish. He did 2 bad misses, and they were shockers, but Fergo was the main cause of Parras right side troubles. Anyone with any kind of a sense for the game can clearly see the defence of the eels was supposed to be sliding and Fergo pretty much every time ignored it and jammed in. He does it every week. You would really have to put a fair bit of blame at the feet of Brad Arthar. He switches the centers around at the last minute so there would have been very little time for them to work on their defensive combinations.
Mate whilst yes it was the whole edge that was shithouse his opposite man scored 3 tries all of which he was out of position let alone just about every other try down that edge... he always made the wrong decision which meant that Ferguson had to do what the defensive stuucture tells you to do which is follow your inside man. OPACIC’s fault. In saying that neither were good

Mate whilst yes it was the whole edge that was shithouse his opposite man scored 3 tries all of which he was out of position let alone just about every other try down that edge... he always made the wrong decision which meant that Ferguson had to do what the defensive stuucture tells you to do which is follow your inside man. OPACIC’s fault. In saying that neither were good

Rubbish. His opposite man cut back inside and ran over the top of Junior Paulo for his third try. It was just a good set play. Pretty much every try they scored that wasn't Gagai Tom was where he should have been.

Keep kidding yourself, the majority of their problems are Fergo.

Oh, and just to add to my previous post, i dont think Tom had a good game either. He missed tackles he doesnt usually miss and that part of his game had no blame attatched to Fergo. Thats on him. In the scheme of things thats his first poor game in 11 for them. I'd be happy if we got that out of our players tbh.

Still think it was pretty stupid of Arthar playing a whole new right side against the best left side attack in the game and not even preparing that way during the week. Recipe for disaster.

Not the worst news. Gives us a year to fix our cap further with Oates, Turpin, and Croft all off the books at the end of next year. $1m+ to extend a few players and possibly buy Smith.

It also puts more pressure on the Storm cap this year in regards to what they can pay Hynes.

I think Smith may have verbalised a hasty thought in asking if he can get out of his contract. Really sharing the hooking role, winning games and playing finals won't be that bad for the next 18 months.

I think Smith may have verbalised a hasty thought in asking if he can get out of his contract. Really sharing the hooking role, winning games and playing finals won't be that bad for the next 18 months.
May also indicate what Craig Bellamy's doin.

he couldnt do anything anyway right unless the storm got a player back?

correct. although we can talk to him about 2023 and offer him a contract for 2023 on November 1

So I've been pondering this move and trying to rationalise why the sudden urgency to offload lodge given he's been one of our best. I wonder if donuts or a new signing (recent or potential) wants him gone. He still carries a lot of negative stigma to many people.

So I've been pondering this move and trying to rationalise why the sudden urgency to offload lodge given he's been one of our best. I wonder if donuts or a new signing (recent or potential) wants him gone. He still carries a lot of negative stigma to many people.
We need a spine going forward. Clearly we are working towards that process. Lodge is unlucky that his part of the salary cap is expendable. I’m not one who enjoys seeing what’s happening to him.

There is obviously something more to it, the media and some other content creators have skirted the edges. Maybe they just don't want to spread unfounded rumors. Is he still off the drink? From my understanding he has been a clean skin since he has been with us so I hope that appearance is a reality. Not sure how to read old Lodge he is not a dumbo so what he says can be well thought out, I believe him when he says he is committed to us, but he also says it is a business so I think he is committed to whoever is paying.

In the long run we need one of our big dollar forwards moved on, Lodge has been good but he is not replaceable. We need to get this cap in order and have more depth/quality across the park. Moving Milf on frees up about 500k or there abouts to spend on another back, free up Lodges coin could net two more players next year. It's obvious our depth in the forwards is made up of inexperienced youth, so we need some toilers there to fix our team imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brocko
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Harry Sack
  • Dreaglor
  • simplythebest
  • Skyblues87
  • broncoscope
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Manofoneway
  • Dexter
  • Santa
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.