Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brent Read thinks the Panthers are resigned to losing Capewell to the Cowboys for a more than $800k over two year deal. Although the Broncos are also interested, they're more likely to go for Su'A, who's out of favour at Souths for being lazy, a trait valued at Red Hill.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Brent Read thinks the Panthers are resigned to losing Capewell to the Cowboys for a more than $800k over two year deal. Although the Broncos are also interested, they're more likely to go for Su'A, who's out of favour at Souths for being lazy, a trait valued at Red Hill.

Sounds like us, settle for the worse option if any two available. But again, if he is being offered 400k a year to the Cows, surely we can match or beat that.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Thought we offered Capewell $400k months ago and it was considered under valuing him??

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
FMD they better be letting TPJ know not only is he in our plans, but there is a captains spot waiting for him if he keeps up the good work.
Here`s a game for you ;
Next time you watch the Broncos . Every time TPJ runs side ways skull . Every time he throws a pass on the ground skull . Every time he is lazy and doesn`t get into position skull .

Gonna be a big night so stock up . LOL .

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I wonder if we might be chasing S'ua to play prop ?

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Outside of the broncos top squad, I’m the biggest casual fan there is.
I wasn’t having a go I was just curious whether you didn’t know or were basically calling him irrelevant cause he’s fallen out of contention there a little bit... Which does shock me cause a year or two back he was performing really well and all of a sudden just disappeared to reserve grade for Ramsey to come through

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think you’ll find that our signings next year will be:
Reynolds (done)
Lee (done)
Dufty
Pereira (it’s so random that it’s likely to happen)
Su’A (if he’s homesick there’s only one destination)
Hodgson (very unlikely)

Losses:
Dearden (confirmed)
Coates (confirmed)
Milford (confirmed)
Glenn (likely retirement
McCullough (fully off the books)
Bird (fully off the books)
Joe O (possibly off the books)

Possible releases:
Lodge (likely but sadly)
Oates (possibly)
Turpin (possibly if Hodgson comes)
Isaako (possibly)
Paix (possibly)
Hetherington (possibly)

I think if we sign up all those players theoretically and Lodge, Oates, Turpin and Isaako were released for chunks of there overpaid salaries for the following year(/s for Lodge and Isaako) we could find ourselves with these spots filled

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lee
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson
11. Su’A

With Pangai, Farnworth, Cobbo, Haas, Carrigan around them with the likes of Robati, Flegler, Piakura and Bullemor and many others continuing to develop we will be in a good position.

Also worth noting that Ezra Mam and Blake Mozer will learn their trades off 2 older heads in Reynolds and Hodgson for the years to come

I’m not going to complain with a team of:
1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lee
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Hodgson
10. Carrigan
11. Su’A
12. Pangai Jnr
13. Asiata
14. Paix/Hetherington
15. Flegler
16. Robati
17. Riki/Piakura

bronx89

bronx89

QCup Player
Nov 20, 2014
I wonder if we might be chasing S'ua to play prop ?
Potentially is an option. Not sure what we are going to do with 7 back rowers. Unless Carrigan is mover permanently next year.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Bugger. I really wanted Capewell, he's such a reliable player and coming from a winning culture would be invaluable to our squad.

I don't know about Su'A. He just seems like a highlights reel player who loves a big hit but goes missing for large chunks of the game. Bit of a Kikau-lite for mine, difference being that he does have a better engine just far less dynamic. It also worries me that he left us in the first place and has played alot of footy with the guys we want out.

For the money it will take to get Su'A back, I would much rather we spend it elsewhere in the side. Just stick with TPJ and continue to develop Robati, Riki and Piakura on the other edge. If none of those three are up to it we can re-assess the SRF situation in 12 months time.

I prefer the likes of Harawire-Naera, Leilua, Matterson, Papali'i, Faitala-Mariner and Kikau himself who will all be potential options if we are patient.

I guess what I am getting at is that I don't think SRF should be our biggest priority.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brent Read again, this time on Dufty. Looks like he's headed to Canterbury or Brisbane. The Broncos might make him an offer, but it's likely to be short term and for less money than he thinks he's worth.

Other clubs told Read they might consider Dufty as a squad or bench utility, but fullback, no. They rejected his initial asking price, which started above $500k, but is unlikely to be above $300k now. All were suss on his backstory, suspecting the club might be sweeping something under the carpet. The Dragons won't elaborate.

One unnamed "club official" belched over a pisstrough at 3am, punctuated by a ripping fart:

“He does get out of position, as you saw last night when they kicked on behind him. That was obviously something the Broncos wanted to do. I don’t know if his talk in defence is the correct talk in defence. He is not the elite of the elite. If you look at the elite ones …. I think he lacks that polish about him. He is in that next tier.”

His former coach Shane Flanagan said:

“He would ask a lot of questions. Sometime players don’t ask why, they just go and do it. I like the kid. Offensively, he pushes hard around the ball, he is fit, he can pass, he can run. He is not a dummy. I think he would be fantastic at the Broncos. He is pretty good under the high ball, he is doing to create some opportunities with their outside backs, that is where their strength is. He will create opportunities for them. I did’t see any issues at the Dragons — not behaviour wise, he trains well. It is a strange one when you see what he did last night. If he is not there last night, it is a different ball game.”

McHunt

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I am wearing my conspiracy hat.

I don't think we were a chance of signing Nicho Hynes. Teams these days only announce signings, after the cooling off period of 10 days has ended.

That means he would have signed with the Sharks around the 23 May.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I don't think we were a chance of signing Nicho Hynes. Teams these days only announce signings, after the cooling off period of 10 days has ended.

It's not really a conspiracy when DD himself said that we didn't make an offer as Hynes wanted to be closer to family in NSW

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

I think they can waive the cooling off period

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Oh damn, I was really hoping we could get a defensive centre that isn’t all that great defensively.
Apart from last week when they shifted him at the last moment to play alongisde Fergo, he's been really good in defence.

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
They got Deine Mariner, probably one of the best prospects.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I wasn’t having a go I was just curious whether you didn’t know or were basically calling him irrelevant cause he’s fallen out of contention there a little bit... Which does shock me cause a year or two back he was performing really well and all of a sudden just disappeared to reserve grade for Ramsey to come through
I actually didn’t know who he was. Had to google him. I only know the broncos top 30. Don’t really follow other clubs and what their players are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.