Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is 200k in total, that is definitely acceptable.

I do agree with you @Foordy, if we could somehow get a gun hooker and fullback this offseason, the team definitely looks far better going into next year. Now Joffa is gone, it makes no sense to release Lodge as well.

I think we just go into the year with Turps, Macca and Paix as hookers and with the warchest from Milford, Macca, et al next year, throw everything at Grant next year, don't care if he is off contract or not.

But this year, bring in Allan (or Drinkwater if he is preferred) as an absolute minimum. If we could pick up Gagai/Chambers and Capewell as well, I reckon we become a FAR better outfit next year.

Right now, none of that has happened so it looks REALLY grim for next season BUT the future still looks bright while Staggs, Riki, Flegler, Farnworth, Coates, Dearden, Walsh, Piakura and Haas are around.

Only official announcement i wannna hear from the club is the entire boardroom has been sacked.....so that means therell be nothing but the usual silence
Also a shout out to all the eels and dogs fans who over the years have had the joint run into the ground.....while still supporting as you do......this has been building for a few years and now...here we are....the joke of the comp

Is there a way we can get plodders like mythford...oates etc to be benched for most the season and have them claim jobkeeper for the 1500 a fortnight which is overs for them......and would that free up the cap🙄😂

Still might.... Chambers wants to be here but has some bridges to cross first
I hope he doesn't. Not what we need. Also he acts like a dick on the field. I know he competes hard but he is hard to like

Whether players are staying or leaving I just want to hear some official announcements from the club. I mean, they didn’t even have a press conference for our new coach ffs.
The board are in hiding. They cut their cheque but they have checked out of their jobs.

Personally i like a prop rotation of Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler, i think it would be one of the better ones in the league. this rotation would also help us to prevent burning the likes of Haas out, as we would have quality coming off the bench.

a back row rotation of Glenn, Riki, TPJ, Asiata (pending his signing) would be quite handy as well.

i don't think it is all doom and gloom, a coaching change will hopefully work wonders, and a good run without too many key injuries would also help.

IMO, key signings are fullback and hooker. (possibly a strike center)
I think TPJ and Asiata are middles. We badly lack good edge runners and defenders one expensive middle has to go in my view

I was very anti-Chambers until I listened the 'Bloke in a bar' podcast with Brandon Smith.

Apparently Chambers was one of the blokes in the Storm dressing room that enforced high standards of the young kids and a leader of the Storm culture.

Provided we're not paying overs for him I think we could do far worse than an experienced head to pull our prima donna's back into line.

Still might.... Chambers wants to be here but has some bridges to cross first

Good to know. I am not a huge fan but centres (and good ones) are very few and far between. My fear though is that he is over the hill and the side doesn't need more of those types.

I think TPJ and Asiata are middles. We badly lack good edge runners and defenders one expensive middle has to go in my view
I could see Asiata excelling as an edge forward and Riki as well. I would like to see a prop rotation of Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler with Haas in the 13. JT in the 13 destroys teams because he isn't expected to play just up the middle. I think Haas can have the same impact by being allowed to play wider of the ruck at times like JT does.

8 - Lodge
10 - Carrigan
11 - Riki
12 - Asiata
13 - Haas

14 - Bullemore
15 - Flegler
16 - Glenn

I could live with that in 2021 as the forward pack

He isn't anything special but I can see what Walter's is trying to do with asiata. We have hard working big metre making forwards who can get a quick play the ball in abundance, evem if both ofa and lodge leave. What we don't have is any variety in the middle off the back of it. Haas dents the line then...... tpj is probably suspended, milf is not a threat these days, turpin isn't a speedy or clever threat out of dummy half, dearden can be but is still learning his craft, Coates doesn't look for the ball, our fullbacks aren't much chop. Staggs is all there is really, and thats 2-3 passes wide, gives too much time for defences to get set.
A bit of eyes up footy and quick feet from asiata with a lingering dearden (who follows plays well) or a fullback after Haas has drawn in the numbers would be much more threatening.

He isn't anything special but I can see what Walter's is trying to do with asiata. We have hard working big metre making forwards who can get a quick play the ball in abundance, evem if both ofa and lodge leave. What we don't have is any variety in the middle off the back of it. Haas dents the line then...... tpj is probably suspended, milf is not a threat these days, turpin isn't a speedy or clever threat out of dummy half, dearden can be but is still learning his craft, Coates doesn't look for the ball, our fullbacks aren't much chop. Staggs is all there is really, and thats 2-3 passes wide, gives too much time for defences to get set.
A bit of eyes up footy and quick feet from asiata with a lingering dearden (who follows plays well) or a fullback after Haas has drawn in the numbers would be much more threatening.
The play at 1:54 is what Kevvie is after.

Middle forward getting it at first receiver, recognises the outside defence has come up quickly, dummies and takes the line on and then gets an offload away through the line.

It's Jurbo play 101

Last edited:

There might be a fullback at Souths that might be able to solve some of our problems.

Badel reporting that Asiata's management will ramp up talks with us on Monday.
seven clubs interested in him Sharks, Panthers, Bulldogs, Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield and Warrington ... but his preference is to play under Kevvie for us

If we were not to get allan for full back, i am gathering that mead may be looked at for this position (given that he played a fair bit of it in england) in addition to our other options (nui, isaako). However, what are "people in the know" opinion of edene gebbie? He was released by the rabbits due to covid/getting mitchell. i dont get to watch qld cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • Browny
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • azza.79
  • kman
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • porouian
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Broncs1459
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Rambstien
  • thenry
  • davidp
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.