Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe we need another prop here.

However, if the club disagrees with my POV then id be happy to see Ryan James come on board for a year or 2.

Ironic, considering he lived 1 hour away last year from Brissie, now hed come up via Canberra!

But a good trainer and a positive influence on our group of forwards. Be quite cheap id imagine..

Like i said though, i dont believe we need another prop. Focus on the spine.

November 1 go phoning up guys like Ponga, B Smith, H Grant etc...
Out of Woods, James, Napa, Tolman, etc. James could very well be the best option for what we need, but I would be wanting to check in on his injury history.

If we go for a cheap experienced prop to fill out the rotation it likely needs to be a guy that can get through 20 games or so a year and possibly even starting.

Woods and Tolman look the most likely to be able to do that, but James is potentially the better player of the three (he seems to have a knack for coming up with a big play when he's on the field).

He's played bigger all games this year in a terribly underperforming raiders team... and I believe he has spent a fair bit off injured.

Not sure if he's only just come back or if he's been back for awhile but playing reserve grade.

Napa would have to come very cheap and he would be a bit of a project but I think he'd be in a similar boat to Gamble.. We could harness their energy and turn it into some good team spirit. If Napa could get back to his best when he was taking on Sam Burgess and doing it all in Origin.. That'd be a great pick up. It really depends where his mindset is at now and where he sees himself going in his career.. Maybe he's ready to knuckle down and get his redemption story. Seeing Napa next to you all fired up in the middle could inspire any side. Worth a punt at the right price imo.

Each to their own though
We shouldn't want anymore project players though... we have like 25 of them already.

We need consistent players that serve a role in the side and we know what we're going to get from them every week.

We need the Corey Thompsons of the world that play above their pay packet and have no glaring issues on one side of the ball that offset the other.

Ben Ikin talks to Jimmy Smith. Explains the roster flux. Says they're not after players in a specific position, but capability - players who live by the standards they want the younger players to emulate. Like Reynolds and Capewell. Sounds like he's still after another marquee signing.

Also takes time to praise his old mate Peter "Bomber" Badel, who calls him 6 times a day. He's in awe of his workrate:

And much the same routine with Pat & Heals:

I rate Schonig. Hardworking, toiler type in the Carrigan mold.

Could certainly do worse.

Surely we could raid the Cows' stocks as well. They have an excess of middles.
Gilbert, Hola, Jensen, Pere are all good shouts stuck behind McLean, Hess and Lolo.
If they’re stuck behind Coen Hess I’d suggest they’re not worth looking at.

Ben Ikin talks to Jimmy Smith. Explains the roster flux. Says they're not after players in a specific position, but capability - players who live by the standards they want the younger players to emulate. Like Reynolds and Capewell. Sounds like he's still after another marquee signing.

Also takes time to praise his old mate Peter "Bomber" Badel, who calls him 6 times a day. He's in awe of his workrate:

6 times a day is ridiculous. I’d be blocking someone calling me that much. Can you not just put it in a text ffs.

I hope he sticks to his lane, I don't know why the Head of Football would be spending time in commercial. Kind of ironic after he talked about giving everyone clear roles. I'm sure he has ambitions to become ceo, which is a good thing, but the jury is still out on his ability to do the job hes in now. Head of Football is really a thankless job, you don't often get plaudits for things & most fans only know who you are when looking for someone to blame. I would like to hear & see less of him for a while.

I hope he sticks to his lane, I don't know why the Head of Football would be spending time in commercial. Kind of ironic after he talked about giving everyone clear roles. I'm sure he has ambitions to become ceo, which is a good thing, but the jury is still out on his ability to do the job hes in now. Head of Football is really a thankless job, you don't often get plaudits for things & most fans only know who you are when looking for someone to blame. I would like to hear & see less of him for a while.
I think Brisbane Broncos shareholders would be happy to receive more communication from management and as fans we are shareholders of another kind. I don't think Ikin is trying to put any spin on what's going on and is just trying to communicate the direction the club is going. I don't mind having a strong voice within the management of the club. That being said, I haven't listened to that interview above yet.

His mum still cutting his hair or what? No woman gonna be calling you "Big Papi" with a chop like that!! Have a fucking word with yourself Dylan.

Manly trying to shop Taupau to us
Willing to pay half his contract next year to make it happen. On around 800k a year if im not mistaken and is off contract next year.

Problem is, he will want an extension for another couple of years. Do we need to pay 600k for another prop?

nope,

we should only make the deal at 400k ... if we have to give him an extension it should be for one extra year, only also at 400k IMO. otherwise no deal

Problem is, he will want an extension for another couple of years. Do we need to pay 600k for another prop?
he's 31 and would be 32 by the time he played for us. I don't think he can reasonably expect to be getting big money when he's nearing the end. 500k tops from us and he gets to stay in the ball game another year or two.

or he can go to SL where he might get even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • MrRobot
  • Manofoneway
  • jd87
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Spoon
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Redux
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mr Fourex
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.