Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd compare the two statistically this season

Napa (28) - 16 games, 34 mins per game, 8.8 hit-ups, 90 running metres, 0.25 offloads, 22.1 tackles @ 90.5% efficiency

James (30) - 12 games, 29 mins per game, 6.4 hit-ups, 60 running metres, 0.0 offloads, 20.1 tackles @ 95.6% efficiency

yea but that's just your opinion on what they are worth we have been told by the media time and time again a player is worth what a team will offer them

Think the point mitch was making is the media are not saying boo about it.
the same media that lay the boot into us for not offering fafita that ludicrous offer. the same media the lay the boot in when we dont offer these young players 500+ contracts on potential.

the same media that are bagging us now for only paying hass 500+ and its insulting to him and he should be on way more

yet now its the storm involved in offering what most fans would consider low for the likes of paps and smith and nothing is said.

guarantee you if the broncos did this they would be screaming from the rooftops.

and alot of us are just sick of it because there is no explanation for it except pure bias

That's true you're worth what someone will pay but that doesn't make it smart- are the best clubs and recruiters handing over million dollar deals? No the Titans are doing it, the Bulldogs are doing it. What does that tell you?

I bet under the Ikin regime million dollar deals will be scarce.

i

Napa (28) - 16 games, 34 mins per game, 8.8 hit-ups, 90 running metres, 0.25 offloads, 22.1 tackles @ 90.5% efficiency

James (30) - 12 games, 29 mins per game, 6.4 hit-ups, 60 running metres, 0.0 offloads, 20.1 tackles @ 95.6% efficiency
Big papi is only 28? Thought he was older.

I still wouldn’t mind Napa on the cheap. If he can find a spark, you’ve got a steal. If he can’t, you’ve lost nothing if he’s minimum wage.

Of the two I take Ryan James first. The defensive efficiency and he is more of a leader than Napa. Plus Napa is a penalty magnet waiting to happen at the Broncos. I see more plus for our young forwards on and off the field with James.

I still wouldn’t mind Napa on the cheap. If he can find a spark, you’ve got a steal. If he can’t, you’ve lost nothing if he’s minimum wage.

Even if he does, he'll spend more time giving away penalties and suspended than TPJ ever did if he was in Broncos colours

Another prop.

Even if he does, he'll spend more time giving away penalties and suspended than TPJ ever did if he was in Broncos colours

Most likely, I just think for base wage it’s worth a try.

Another prop.

remember he played in the Wynnum manly trial match was pretty handy

i think Nui is like Walsh in a way, they both struggle under the high ball and in defence, but have great attacking skills. i reckon he will alright with a full preseason at FB and maybe cutting a few kilos
I think Niu is more like Isaako. They both have killer steps, making them lethal close to the line, but you rarely see them in action. Isaako has a wider skillset and more confidence - eg, better under the high ball, goal kicking, etc - but Niu has handled fullback better, which has lifted the team and made us safer at the back. If you were ranking fullbacks, Niu would still be bottom, or thereabouts in the league, but has upward potential. Isaako had plenty of opportunity but muffed it.

Walsh looked like an NRL fullback before playing a single game, like he was captain in the trials. While Niu had a shocker. Walsh was named in the State of Origin, albeit out of desperation. He's scored 7 tries in 11 appearances. Tesi has scored 5 tries in 18 appearances. But what Walsh has even more is confidence.

I'm pretty confident we'll be re-signing Tesi. I don't see anyone else giving him a place in their spine and any more money than we'll offer. The Titans might've been interested last year when he was a rookie, but he's not displacing AJ Brimson, and they're not that flush with cash.

I think Niu is more like Isaako. They both have killer steps, making them lethal close to the line, but you rarely see them in action. Isaako has a wider skillset and more confidence - eg, better under the high ball, goal kicking, etc - but Niu has handled fullback better, which has lifted the team and made us safer at the back. If you were ranking fullbacks, Niu would still be bottom, or thereabouts in the league, but has upward potential. Isaako had plenty of opportunity but muffed it.

Walsh looked like an NRL fullback before playing a single game, like he was captain in the trials. While Niu had a shocker. Walsh was named in the State of Origin, albeit out of desperation. He's scored 7 tries in 11 appearances. Tesi has scored 5 tries in 18 appearances. But what Walsh has even more is confidence.

I'm pretty confident we'll be re-signing Tesi. I don't see anyone else giving him a place in their spine and any more money than we'll offer. The Titans might've been interested last year when he was a rookie, but he's not displacing AJ Brimson, and they're not that flush with cash.

They also have Campbell and Sexton coming through, no need for him.

Roosters are allegedly wanting to free up space to resign Manu by releasing Taukeiaho to go to super league. Why don't we offer him a 2 year contract to help develop our young forwards?

His 29 has heaps of experience and comes from a great winning culture at the roosters. He's signed to the roosters for 650k next season so we can even get him for unders.

Roosters are allegedly wanting to free up space to resign Manu by releasing Taukeiaho to go to super league. Why don't we offer him a 2 year contract to help develop our young forwards?

His 29 has heaps of experience and comes from a great winning culture at the roosters. He's signed to the roosters for 650k next season so we can even get him for unders.

I’m reluctant to do any favours for them though.

That's true you're worth what someone will pay but that doesn't make it smart- are the best clubs and recruiters handing over million dollar deals? No the Titans are doing it, the Bulldogs are doing it. What does that tell you?

I bet under the Ikin regime million dollar deals will be scarce.
yea but i think we are arguing different things. I and I think most here completely agree with what you are saying.

think what most are annoyed about is the hypocrisy from the media. think we are just sick of it

What IS he doing, other than a slightly above average running game?

Not sure what you are expecting from a 19 year old who has barely had a full season in the NRL, he is getting better every week.

Not sure what you are expecting from a 19 year old who has barely had a full season in the NRL, he is getting better every week.
I'm just trying to understand why some people are so confident in him.

Other than the try against the Sharks he's not done much at all. He is also terrible defensively and not much better under the high ball.

He's young and will probably improve, but I certainly won't be worried if he leaves.

Your entitled to your opinion but I just want to ask you this. Who else are you going to pick? Will they be close to Tesi or top 8 standards? What other 19 year old fullback is doing the stuff Tesi is doing?
I'd give the FB position to Cobbo next year as a temporary fix. Defensively he's already better than Niu who can't tackle for shit, attacking wise he's not at the stage of Niu yet, but given a full preseason of training under his belt he'll get better. We shouldn't be settling for mediocre players on the team let alone in the spine of all places, let them go (Turpin, Croft, Isaako, Niu) to open up positions and cap space for the future. There will always be opportunities for new signings to be had in the off-season, mid-season. Letting players go and new signings don't have to be n-sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • heartly87
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.