Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give the FB position to Cobbo next year as a temporary fix. Defensively he's already better than Niu who can't tackle for shit, attacking wise he's not at the stage of Niu yet, but given a full preseason of training under his belt he'll get better. We shouldn't be settling for mediocre players on the team let alone in the spine of all places, let them go (Turpin, Croft, Isaako, Niu) to open up positions and cap space for the future. There will always be opportunities for new signings to be had in the off-season, mid-season. Letting players go and new signings don't have to be n-sync.
Another more left field option would be to play Cobbo in attack at centre and have Niu play fullback in attack then swap roles in defence.

Hodges during 2015 wouldn't often play the fullback position in attack and have kahu defend as the fullback while Darius was out injured. Another example is in 2006 David Stagg defended in hooker while berrigan defended in the centres and then they swapped positions in attack.

Another more left field option would be to play Cobbo in attack at centre and have Niu play fullback in attack then swap roles in defence.

Hodges during 2015 wouldn't often play the fullback position in attack and have kahu defend as the fullback while Darius was out injured. Another example is in 2006 David Stagg defended in hooker while berrigan defended in the centres and then they swapped positions in attack.

I wouldn’t trust two 19yo to be able to do that properly

I wouldn’t trust two 19yo to be able to do that properly
My honest biggest concern would be that Niu is a bad defender in centre as well but his cover defence in fullback is even worse. At least in centre he'll have to adapt to second rowers running at him and take his fear of collision away.

I also think Cobbo will be more damaging as a centre in attack. I could see him developing into another strike weapon for us in the centres. Two strike centres could take our attack to another level.

yea but that's just your opinion on what they are worth we have been told by the media time and time again a player is worth what a team will offer them

Think the point mitch was making is the media are not saying boo about it.
the same media that lay the boot into us for not offering fafita that ludicrous offer. the same media the lay the boot in when we dont offer these young players 500+ contracts on potential.

the same media that are bagging us now for only paying hass 500+ and its insulting to him and he should be on way more

yet now its the storm involved in offering what most fans would consider low for the likes of paps and smith and nothing is said.

guarantee you if the broncos did this they would be screaming from the rooftops.

and alot of us are just sick of it because there is no explanation for it except pure bias
But we did it for 15-20 years.

Thankfully I’ve spent my last 10 years researching the golden formula. I’ve drafted a new formula that helps correctly value players and also makes it easier to pay them less to stay at the club. It’s an iteration of the formula used 1988 to 2006 and will set us up for the next ten years.

Are you ready?

Win games.

Thankfully I’ve spent my last 10 years researching the golden formula. I’ve drafted a new formula that helps correctly value players and also makes it easier to pay them less to stay at the club. It’s an iteration of the formula used 1988 to 2006 and will set us up for the next ten years.

Are you ready?

Win games.
Haha, yep was gonna say this, Melbourne have earned the right to offer unders because the last 15 years they have been at the top basically

Are you ready?

Win games.
again think we are arguing different points here. I agree with you even though I believe your being a bit naïve if you think we were not doing shady shit during our dominant time. already said kudos to Melbourne for getting away with it.

point is we have been getting hammered in the media for not offering players enough and loosing them. before when we were a top 4 team we were constantly hammered in the media about how we get keep all the great players.

I'm just venting my frustration at the bs media turning blind eye when it suits them.

Haha, yep was gonna say this, Melbourne have earned the right to offer unders because the last 15 years they have been at the top basically
Yes, but how do you get there? You see how the system is broken?

Right now, Melbourne have this amazing winning record and culture, so the best players want to go there (or stay there) for less money, and this becomes a perpetual cycle.

Then there's the losing clubs which we now unfortunately are. It's extremely difficult/impossible to get great players to sign or stay for unders and so you struggle to improve and balance your squad. This too becomes a perpetual cycle.

And so it becomes an incredibly difficult task for the bad teams to bridge the gap to the good ones.

How did Melbourne manage to become that good and build that winning history? They blatantly cheated that's how. The only way for us or the dogs etc to seriously improve and catch up to Melbourne is to cheat the cap for 3-4 years, field a 12 million dollar team, build the winning culture and record, and then once you have that, you really don't have to cheat anymore. You just have to cheat to build the team. And who cares if the NRL catches you? It's worth it. The Storm are benefitting from their cheating years 15 years later and will continue to.

Yes, but how do you get there? You see how the system is broken?

Right now, Melbourne have this amazing winning record and culture, so the best players want to go there (or stay there) for less money, and this becomes a perpetual cycle.

Then there's the losing clubs which we now unfortunately are. It's extremely difficult/impossible to get great players to sign or stay for unders and so you struggle to improve and balance your squad. This too becomes a perpetual cycle.

And so it becomes an incredibly difficult task for the bad teams to bridge the gap to the good ones.

How did Melbourne manage to become that good and build that winning history? They blatantly cheated that's how. The only way for us or the dogs etc to seriously improve and catch up to Melbourne is to cheat the cap for 3-4 years, field a 12 million dollar team, build the winning culture and record, and then once you have that, you really don't have to cheat anymore. You just have to cheat to build the team. And who cares if the NRL catches you? It's worth it. The Storm are benefitting from their cheating years 15 years later and will continue to.
Too much common sense in that last paragraph... it's a joke when people say "that was years ago, they aren't still benefiting from it". They cheated it for MILLIONS FOR YEARS ON PURPOSE. They kept future immortals together because of it and built a culture unrivaled because of it. Their punishment after around 5 years and multiple gfs and premierships? ONE YEAR without points. Then they needed to get under the cap LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. What a fucking pissweak punishment that almost encourages cheating. They should have been made to play 5 million under the cap for 5 years.
Fuvk I hate the storm, they have deadset been the worst addition to rugby league on every single level. No one could tell me the game wouldn't be in a better position without them. They've done nothing for it's growth, play origin down there once every 3 years and you'd get the exact same amount of "growth" you have gotten down there, and add a team in SEQ instead and you'd get better ratings, crowds, exposure and juniors growth. Disgusting they call themselves "melbourne"

Too much common sense in that last paragraph... it's a joke when people say "that was years ago, they aren't still benefiting from it". They cheated it for MILLIONS FOR YEARS ON PURPOSE. They kept future immortals together because of it and built a culture unrivaled because of it. Their punishment after around 5 years and multiple gfs and premierships? ONE YEAR without points. Then they needed to get under the cap LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. What a fucking pissweak punishment that almost encourages cheating. They should have been made to play 5 million under the cap for 5 years.
Fuvk I hate the storm, they have deadset been the worst addition to rugby league on every single level. No one could tell me the game wouldn't be in a better position without them. They've done nothing for it's growth, play origin down there once every 3 years and you'd get the exact same amount of "growth" you have gotten down there, and add a team in SEQ instead and you'd get better ratings, crowds, exposure and juniors growth. Disgusting they call themselves "melbourne"
Absolutely, it's akin to wage theft and the big bad government's punishment is to... Pay back the wages they should have paid in the first place. So why shouldn't every company do it, best case you boost profits, worst case you're no worse off.

Not a huge fan of how many plodders are in the top 30 next year tbh. All of them are decent signings on their own but it’s really starting to add up to a very mediocre list of names and the top 30 is getting close to filling up - wouldn’t be so bad if it was stop gals but quite a few are multi year deals.

- Jensen
- Mead
- Kelly
- Walters
- Palasia
- Periera
- Lee
- Arthurs
- Gamble

Another prop.

I recognise the name, but not much else.

for those that watch the ISC, is this a good/bad move

Not a huge fan of how many plodders are in the top 30 next year tbh. All of them are decent signings on their own but it’s really starting to add up to a very mediocre list of names and the top 30 is getting close to filling up - wouldn’t be so bad if it was stop gals but quite a few are multi year deals.

- Jensen
- Mead
- Kelly
- Walters
- Palasia
- Periera
- Lee
- Arthurs
- Gamble
Mead, Walter's (?), Kelly (likely), and palasia are 1 year. I wouldn't have minded if Palasia got 2 years anyway. He's cheap and definetly surprised me with his engine, late footwork and improvements in defence..

Jensen, Pereira and Lee have been brought in with 2 year contracts and it would have been nice to get them on 1 year contracts but I doubt this clubs has enough leverage to do that at the moment with any NRL standard players...

Gamble, Hetherington and arthurs have all earned 2 year contracts, especially if they are anywhere near minimum wage (gamble especially, and Hetherington not far behind If he keeps going the way he has been).

- Jensen
- Mead
- Kelly
- Walters
- Palasia
- Periera
- Lee
- Arthars
- Gamble
Oof, just heard about this.

Excellent point and fans better come to terms that Brisbane will be next to no chance of making the finals next year with that roster.

Even 2023 is looking grim.

You're also being very generous to a few players.

Oof, just heard about this.

Excellent point and fans better come to terms that Brisbane will be next to no chance of making the finals next year with that roster.

Even 2023 is looking grim.

You're also being very generous to a few players.
I was only including players that were signed or re-signed this season, and. not commenting on players who could be blamed on previous regimes. You’re right, the list is quite a bit longer if we’re just naming all plodders.

As well as Gamble has done at times this year, he is going to become a halves version of Turpin imo and by the end of next year people will see his deficiencies. How he plays you can get away with in maybe the centers or a forward, but not in a spine position. Just like Turpin at hooker, when you are desperate for something different and a bit of spark players who are just competent, full of energy and effort look better than they are.

I'm just trying to understand why some people are so confident in him.

Other than the try against the Sharks he's not done much at all. He is also terrible defensively and not much better under the high ball.

He's young and will probably improve, but I certainly won't be worried if he leaves.

We don't have any genuine superstars hanging around the system mate, whoever we bring in will need to be developed.

We aren't in the position to throw a huge contract at one of the established top line fullbacks in the NRL, no matter who comes in will have their flaws as it takes time to develop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • The Strapper
  • Sproj
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mister Wright
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Spike
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
  • levikaden
  • jd87
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.