Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren’t you the one pretending to have been told by the players themselves they were coming, regarding Gagai etc?

are you high or just ignorant? another poster with PNG as username. try using the 'search' button once in awhile to verify

I'm pretty sure that no one is asking or wanting you to play for us.

on your point about Dave ... he got several million dollar offers, if he was desperate to get away from us after one poor year, then he had several chances.

one of them from Souths.

and if he wanted to stay in QLD for a club that competes, he wouldn't have turned down the Titans first million dollar offer (although, it's still too early to tell if this Titans "resurgence" is for real or just temporary, and they'll go back to the easy beat Titans they've been for the last 5 years).

it is quite simple ... the Titans found the price it would take to get him away from us. 250k a year more than our offer wasn't enough ... they needed to go 500k more than us
When it doesn’t suit your argument you mock the media’s estimations on player salaries.

24B180A0 55EC 44A8 9A42 EE25DC96FCD0

We getting the tits rejects now...good times😂
He’s actually pretty good I reckon. Runs and tackles a lot harder than Ofahengaue and is a lot cheaper. If/when we lose Lodge, Pulu will come in handy.

Pulu is worth the train and trial. Only means good value if the contract does eventuate. We dont need a pack full of superstars in the forwards, we need a bunch of gritty get the job done blokes.

Last edited:
He’s actually pretty good I reckon. Runs and tackles a lot harder than Ofahengaue and is a lot cheaper. If/when we lose Lodge, Pulu will come in handy.
Dont know much about him but anyone would be an improvement on joe

I'm pretty worried that we don't have much cap space and what we are using it on are players like Mead and Copley. Not exactly the best or most exciting signings..

I'd really like the Broncos to find a Fijian winger like Sivo/Radradra/Vunivalu/Koroibete.. Bring back the days of Lote Tuiqiri on the wing.

If we signed a decent fullback like Allan along with Will Chambers and a big Fijian winger.. Our backline would be fine.

Just look at the Fiji Sevens Rugby team and pick one

1. Corey Allan
2. Aminiasi Tuimaba
3. Will Chambers
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates

In my opinion, this would give fans a lot more hope.

Signing Mead and Copley are defensive moves.. They are not moves that will actually improve our chances of winning a competition..

https://broncoshq.com/threads/we-need-more-talent-scouts-in-fiji.42433/ i will just leave this here.

Dont know much about him but anyone would be an improvement on joe
He was great for Titans and like most players who go to NZ he just dropped off the radar a bit. I doubt he’s lost anything. We could be picking him up in his prime. I’m keen. Nice cheap forward that’ll perform better than a 600k a season Ofahengaue.

Long post incoming, so I apologize for that.

This is how I see the upcoming season. I don't see us in as big of a mess as people would have you believe, although, we don't have a great deal of depth, so another lengthy injury list will kill our season.

I'm predicting a 6-8 finish, with a first round finals exit

Fullback
Isaako should get first crack here. yes, he had a crap year both professionally and personally. but, IMO, he is the best we have right now. The strategy to making him successful at the back will be the game plan and style we utilize. he has good footwork and a bit of speed, but lacks a play making game. so he needs to model himself more on a Tedesco style fullback than a Ponga style fullback.

Wing
We have 2 young and talented wingers on our books in Coates and Farnworth. I do think we need to utilize Coates aerial ability more than we have in the past.

Centers
Staggs is a no brainer, very competitive, deceptively strong and quick. reminds me a lot of another great Bronco, Shaun Berrigan.
the other center will be a somewhat more controversial choice, but one I have always had big raps on, and that is Dale Copley. IMO, he was about to really take off as a strike center for us, he scored 16 tries in 2014, before we pushed him out to sign Roberts. yes, he has had issue with his hands and injuries. but I think he will prove a few doubters wrong in 2021. only 29, so still has 3-4 years left in his career.

Halves
Dearden and Milford. having Kevvie at the club will do wonders for Dearden's development; and hopefully Kevvie knows where the 2015/16 Milford has been hiding and is on his way to retrieve him right now. Contract year for Milford, so he could have a cracker season.

Prop rotation
Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler can be the best prop rotation in the game IMO. Depending on the game situation we should do our best to limit their game time to no more than 60 mins a match. we don't want to burn these guys out.

Hooker
I'm not sold on Turpin, but i think he is better than Macca

backrow
go with Glenn, TPJ and Asiata (pending signing). I'd actually rather TPJ on the bench to provide some impact, but i think we're a bit short in depth there so he needs to start, with Bullemore and Riki fighting it out for the bench back row position

captain
another possible controversial selection, but IMO Lodge should be the captain of this side. we really missed his leadership on the field in 2020. I would be surprised if it happened for a number of reasons; firstly. the PR nightmare as the media would continually re-hash his New York incident, despite him not putting a foot wrong for over 5 years. the second reason, is that I don't think Kevvie (and recruitment) are convinced someone with his body shape can thrive in the current NRL 6-again environment

further 2021 signings
it is a skinny market for 2021, but Asiata would be a good signing as he would add a bit of variety to our pack. other than him i'd look at Tim Lafai or Ricky Leutele on a 1 year minimum wage deal to add a bit of depth to our backline and maybe a Pulu (also 1 yr, minimum wage) to add a bit of depth to our pack

2022 re-signings
Dearden, Coates and Staggs should be our priorities. If Milf returns to his 2015 form, i'd re-sign him as well, just not for $1 million

2022 priority signings
fullback, hooker and backrow should be our priorities. so i'd target the following:

Fullback - Drinkwater (my preference), Allen or Hughes (only if he is prepared to play fullback)

Hooker - not much quality, but i'd negotiate with the Storm and make an offer to try and get Brandon Smith. he wants to play hooker, but won't get a look in while Grant is there

Backrow - Capewell, Su'a (if he keeps up his form from the final 6 weeks of 2020), maybe Crichton

FOORDY's 2021 FULL STRENGTH BRISBANE BRONCOS LINEUP

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

14. Corey Paix/ Andrew McCullough
15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki

Last edited:
Long post incoming, so I apologize for that.

This is how I see the upcoming season. I don't see us in as big of a mess as people would have you believe, although, we don't have a great deal of depth, so another lengthy injury list will kill our season.

I'm predicting a 6-8 finish, with a first round finals exit

Fullback
Isaako should get first crack here. yes, he had a crap year both professionally and personally. but, IMO, he is the best we have right now. The strategy to making him successful at the back will be the game plan and style we utilize. he has good footwork and a bit of speed, but lacks a play making game. so he needs to model himself more on a Tedesco style fullback than a Ponga style fullback.

Wing
We have 2 young and talented wingers on our books in Coates and Farnworth. I do think we need to utilize Coates aerial ability more than we have in the past.

Centers
Staggs is a no brainer, very competitive, deceptively strong and quick. reminds me a lot of another great Bronco, Shaun Berrigan.
the other center will be a somewhat more controversial choice, but one I have always had big raps on, and that is Dale Copley. IMO, he was about to really take off as a strike center for us, he scored 16 tries in 2014, before we pushed him out to sign Roberts. yes, he has had issue with his hands and injuries. but I think he will prove a few doubters wrong in 2021. only 29, so still has 3-4 years left in his career.

Halves
Dearden and Milford. having Kevvie at the club will do wonders for Dearden's development; and hopefully Kevvie knows where the 2015/16 Milford has been hiding and is on his way to retrieve him right now. Contract year for Milford, so he could have a cracker season.

Prop rotation
Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler can be the best prop rotation in the game IMO. Depending on the game situation we should do our best to limit their game time to no more than 60 mins a match. we don't want to burn these guys out.

Hooker
I'm not sold on Turpin, but i think he is better than Macca

backrow
go with Glenn, TPJ and Asiata (pending signing). I'd actually rather TPJ on the bench to provide some impact, but i think we're a bit short in depth there so he needs to start, with Bullemore and Riki fighting it out for the bench back row position

captain
another possible controversial selection, but IMO Lodge should be the captain of this side. we really missed his leadership on the field in 2020. I would be surprised if it happened for a number of reasons; firstly. the PR nightmare as the media would continually re-hash his New York incident, despite him not putting a foot wrong for over 5 years. the second reason, is that I don't think Kevvie (and recruitment) are convinced someone with his body shape can thrive in the current NRL 6-again environment

further 2021 signings
it is a skinny market for 2021, but Asiata would be a good signing as he would add a bit of variety to our pack. other than him i'd look at Tim Lafai or Ricky Leutele on a 1 year minimum wage deal to add a bit of depth to our backline and maybe a Pulu (also 1 yr, minimum wage) to add a bit of depth to our pack

2022 re-signings
Dearden, Coates and Staggs should be our priorities. If Milf returns to his 2015 form, i'd re-sign him as well, just not for $1 million

2022 priority signings
fullback, hooker and backrow should be our priorities. so i'd target the following:

Fullback - Drinkwater (my preference), Allen or Hughes (only if he is prepared to play fullback)

Hooker - not much quality, but i'd negotiate with the Storm and make an offer to try and get Brandon Smith. he wants to play hooker, but won't get a look in while Grant is there

Backrow - Capewell, Su'a (if he keeps up his form from the final 6 weeks of 2020), maybe Crichton

FOORDY's 2021 FULL STRENGTH BRISBANE BRONCOS LINEUP

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

14. Corey Paix/ Andrew McCullough
15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
No to Lodge as captain. I don’t even want him at the club.

No to Glenn starting. You forgot Corey Oates. I think Kev should start him in the backrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
  • Tmac
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • BruiserMk1
  • bazza
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.