Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we where only looking at shopping Lodge around so we have more cap space for spine players(since we are a little too heavy on forwards for a balanced cap), if your just going to do a straight swap there is no point, he is playing good.

Lodge is coming good, 10 tackle bust last week, have some decent support and we're marching up field. If there's no real benefit to losing him then its dumb to persist with it.
It seems the Broncos focus is to not have him take up his player options. I agree he is on too much money for too long. Hard to justify renegotiating it under the cap if he has this guaranteed to him and likely would be assigned to the cap. The best option is to move him on. But this only makes sense if we reallocated the cash to the spine not taking on Klemmer

And like I said I'd argue he's tier one. His game was outstanding until such times as dropped that ball. I don't think he's ever fully recovered from that.
Tend to agree, at least in part. I've always believed he didn't take ownership of the part he played in the 2015 catastrophe. I always thought he should have publicly spoken about it, told the world he knows he fucked it up and I'm not referring to the dropped ball alone. It was his idiotic speartackle that got the ball rolling.

I think if had opened up, taken ownership in a public way he would have overcome the demons years ago. He probably did privately, I cannot know but I always felt he had to expose it, drag it into the light and deal with it before killing it.

It was reported that he’s already taken his player option. Which I didn’t know you could do prior to the final season of the nonP.O contract but it makes perfect sense that a player can chose to invoke it whenever they want as long as it’s before the date.

Regardless, Lodge has been great this year. If it doesn’t save us huge money than I’d keep him. In fact his bad contract is the only reason you’d want him moved on. He’s a gun.

It was reported that he’s already taken his player option. Which I didn’t know you could do prior to the final season of the nonP.O contract but it makes perfect sense that a player can chose to invoke it whenever they want as long as it’s before the date.

Regardless, Lodge has been great this year. If it doesn’t save us huge money than I’d keep him. In fact his bad contract is the only reason you’d want him moved on. He’s a gun.
Yeah it is the smart play from him taking up the option. Horrible negotiation of the deal by recruitment team who should be moved on first. I agree you move him on as a business decision rather than form. Its going to cost us big time whether we move him on or whether he stays. Moving him on frees some cash for the spine and the lesser of two evils

So our offer is 800k a season and Sharks have now offered 815k both are 3 year deals, Sharks where offering 700k a year before so maybe we will need to rebid, if we want him.
The question is whether Reynolds wants the mountain of pressure and scrutiny he’ll be under as halfback and potential captain of the broncos.

I just can't see us actually signing Reynolds. He is exactly what we need but is also exactly what Cronulla need so I can't see why he would leave Sydney when surely he can get the same offer from Cronulla.

I know the talk is that we are now the favourites but I just can't see us being able to land this which is a real shame because that one signing would completely change the team both in terms of play and the ability to attract other players. Signing him would have us back in the 8 next year and competing for the 4 regularly again by the year after, he is that important IMO.
Well really he goes to a side that is sinking so hard or come to us who are starting to come back on the rise and we would have a sweet forward pack behind him with also tonnes of money still to spend on players around him... as well as this the cost of living is way cheaper and apparently he wants to move his family to seq after his career anyway

any truth to this...?

https://www.zerotackle.com/bronco-and-knight-linked-to-player-swap-2021-news-104189/

Surely bullshit? Why take a older guy who is reportedly earning $150K per season more than Lodge..?

How is that progressing our rebuild?

I call BS ... one part of the story i got a lol out of is the move could benefit Lodge who is growing frustrated with his struggling Brisbane side.

so the writer of this story wants us to believe that to ease the frustrations of being in a struggling side, he is prepared to go to another struggling side (not to mention a side that has Seibold on the payroll)

Papenhuyzen is apparently testing the market and is yet to resign with the Storm.

Get on the phone, Donut!

we wouldn't get him until 2023 ... no way the Storm release him early.

A quick question about third party sponsors. I know the club can’t be involved or it’s counted on the cap but if for example businessmen in Brisbane thought that a marque player - for example Reynolds, would be a great brand ambassador for them, are the allowed to contact him prior to signing just to let him know?

What I mean is, is there anything preventing a big Brisbane car dealership who has seen the Reynolds and Broncos contract negotiations play out in the media, from calling Adam or his manager and saying “we’re big fans and would love you to be a part of our marketing if you do find yourself in Brisbane. If you do sign, let us know and we can discuss further. Our usual starting price is around $50k per year”

??

A quick question about third party sponsors. I know the club can’t be involved or it’s counted on the cap but if for example businessmen in Brisbane thought that a marque player - for example Reynolds, would be a great brand ambassador for them, are the allowed to contact him prior to signing just to let him know?

What I mean is, is there anything preventing a big Brisbane car dealership who has seen the Reynolds and Broncos contract negotiations play out in the media, from calling Adam or his manager and saying “we’re big fans and would love you to be a part of our marketing if you do find yourself in Brisbane. If you do sign, let us know and we can discuss further. Our usual starting price is around $50k per year”

??

the sponsorship can't be used as an inducement to join a certain club.

so in your example, for that sponsorship to count outside the cap it must also be available to Reynolds should he decide to sign with the Sharks

so in your example, for that sponsorship to count outside the cap it must also be available to Reynolds should he decide to sign with the Sharks

What it its geographical? Why would a QLD business sponsor a guy in the shire.

“Adam, if you play for a Queensland club we give you money”

Papenhuyzen is apparently testing the market and is yet to resign with the Storm.

Get on the phone, Donut!
Given he isn't a qlder so he has no ties to coming here we would need to pay atleast 1.2 mil a season to get him, dream on lol.

What it its geographical? Why would a QLD business sponsor a guy in the shire.

“Adam, if you play for a Queensland club we give you money”

NRL would never allow it.

although there is probably no way to enforce it if it is done at arms length.

e.g. this businessman uses a 3rd party to suggest to Reynolds manager that a sponsorship might be available should he sign with us. nothing in writing, no connection to the businessman.

once Reynolds signs the deal with us, the businessman then officially approaches Reynolds manager to make the deal.

you do run the risk of Reynold being pissed off if the deal then falls through

dodgy as hell ... but player agents are unethical creatures at the best of times.

3rd party payments is the one area where we have much more available then any other club in the competition, why not?

A club like the sharks who for a big chunk of the last decade haven't even had a title sponsor on the jersey is going to struggle to bring anything on that table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Fitzy
  • mrtij
  • Behold
  • dirtyharry
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • davidp
  • Astro
  • Adammacca
  • Griffo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Spoon
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.