Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Tower of Truth reckons the Broncos are hitting the table to nut out a Million+ extension for Selwyn Cobbo over the next few weeks, to stave off express interest from Wayne Bennett and others. Cobbo's manager Tas Bartlett has already met with the Dolphins a number of times.

Ben Ikin is having none of it:

“Selwyn is contracted to the Broncos for another two years. He has been in our system for a long time and we think really highly of him. We’d love for him to stay long-term so when the time is right we will enter negotiations in an attempt to keep him at the club.”

Tas Bartlett:

“Wayne Bennett is a fan of Selwyn, but he isn’t available for two years so hopefully the Broncos can upgrade him and extend him sooner rather than later. I had a meeting with the Dolphins in November to gauge their interest. They were very keen to know Selwyn’s plans and I said he was very happy at the Broncos and hopefully they want to retain him and we’ll see how it plays out. The Dolphins are a genuine option, Selwyn played in that region as a junior."

“I’ve left negotiations until the end of pre-season and that time is fast approaching. I’ll look to catch up with the Broncos next month and see what their position is with Selwyn and financially what that looks like."

“It’s a huge year for Selwyn. This is his first proper pre-season and in terms of football IQ, he is still quite young. He has enormous potential and while he is far from the finished product, he has the tools to go all the way in the game."

“He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Latrell Mitchell with his body shape and physical components, so he can be a scary sight in the next 12 to 36 months.”

Walters:

“Selwyn will be somewhere in the outside backs. We’ve moved him around a bit through our training at fullback, centre and wing. He will be there somewhere. He is an exciting young player and good things happen when the ball is around him. That’s what I’ve noticed."

“We saw his performance in the grand final of the Intrust Super Cup last year. He was the best player on the field. That’s always a good sign.”

Adam Reynolds:

“Selwyn is an athlete. He makes hard things look easy and at times it doesn’t look like he is trying. He just makes the game flow and there’s only a handful of players who can do that. I’ve met him at training and in the chats we’ve had he is keen and willing to learn which is great.”

McHunt

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Tower of Truth reckons the Broncos are hitting the table to nut out a Million+ extension for Selwyn Cobbo over the next few weeks, to stave off express interest from Wayne Bennett and others. Cobbo's manager Tas Bartlett has already met with the Dolphins a number of times.

Ben Ikin is having none of it:

“Selwyn is contracted to the Broncos for another two years. He has been in our system for a long time and we think really highly of him. We’d love for him to stay long-term so when the time is right we will enter negotiations in an attempt to keep him at the club.”

Tas Bartlett:

“Wayne Bennett is a fan of Selwyn, but he isn’t available for two years so hopefully the Broncos can upgrade him and extend him sooner rather than later. I had a meeting with the Dolphins in November to gauge their interest. They were very keen to know Selwyn’s plans and I said he was very happy at the Broncos and hopefully they want to retain him and we’ll see how it plays out. The Dolphins are a genuine option, Selwyn played in that region as a junior."

“I’ve left negotiations until the end of pre-season and that time is fast approaching. I’ll look to catch up with the Broncos next month and see what their position is with Selwyn and financially what that looks like."

“It’s a huge year for Selwyn. This is his first proper pre-season and in terms of football IQ, he is still quite young. He has enormous potential and while he is far from the finished product, he has the tools to go all the way in the game."

“He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Latrell Mitchell with his body shape and physical components, so he can be a scary sight in the next 12 to 36 months.”

Walters:

“Selwyn will be somewhere in the outside backs. We’ve moved him around a bit through our training at fullback, centre and wing. He will be there somewhere. He is an exciting young player and good things happen when the ball is around him. That’s what I’ve noticed."

“We saw his performance in the grand final of the Intrust Super Cup last year. He was the best player on the field. That’s always a good sign.”

Adam Reynolds:

“Selwyn is an athlete. He makes hard things look easy and at times it doesn’t look like he is trying. He just makes the game flow and there’s only a handful of players who can do that. I’ve met him at training and in the chats we’ve had he is keen and willing to learn which is great.”

McHunt

The usual rehash of an old story when they had nothing else to write about.

Literally zero new information in that story.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Looks like a classic douche play from the manager to try and create a bidding war.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Well and truely 10 month early news but let’s be real at the same time we have 10 months or just less than to lock him up before it comes a reality. I think we have to make sure we lock down Selwyn before Herbie cause if we want to have to low ball one of them to keep them we know which one we would rather that be.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The usual rehash of an old story when they had nothing else to write about.

Literally zero new information in that story.
Looks like a classic douche play from the manager to try and create a bidding war.
Well and truely 10 month early news but let’s be real at the same time we have 10 months or just less than to lock him up before it comes a reality. I think we have to make sure we lock down Selwyn before Herbie cause if we want to have to low ball one of them to keep them we know which one we would rather that be.
Yeah, not sure what's going on here. His manager should be in no hurry to lock him up if he thinks he's going to blossom this year. It's true, he has expressed demand from the Dolphins, and he's enjoying a little hype on the back of a decent end to the NRL season and breakout performance in the ISC, but I would think his value will only increase this season if he starts to realize potential.

Locking up young players is a bit like buying commodity futures. You're punting on their current perceived value being less than their future realized value. So if Cobbo's manager is eager to extend him before the end of the preseason, he's actually punting on him being overhyped.

This is the opposite of Herbie - who's managing his own contract - who is punting on his value going up this season before signing away his future. That's a vote of confidence in himself.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
“It’s a huge year for Selwyn. This is his first proper pre-season and in terms of football IQ, he is still quite young”

The above quote and suggestion of an early contract upgrade for the same player represents so much of what is so wrong with the NRL and the way some NRL clubs manage themselves

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
“It’s a huge year for Selwyn. This is his first proper pre-season and in terms of football IQ, he is still quite young”

The above quote and suggestion of an early contract upgrade for the same player represents so much of what is so wrong with the NRL and the way some NRL clubs manage themselves
Yeah, it's nuts. He needs to get his hands on the fullback position and make it his own before talking money. Unless his manager is angling for a payrise with the next two years built in, in which case the Broncos should tell him to **** off and come back at the end of the season.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah, it's nuts. He needs to get his hands on the fullback position and make it his own before talking money. Unless his manager is angling for a payrise with the next two years built in, in which case the Broncos should tell him to **** off and come back at the end of the season.
I hear you. But Ikin and DD know they have to be mindful of the drawing power of WB and the fact a potential move is just over town. I'm sure once WB steps down this will alleviate the threat somewhat at least until such times as the Dugongs win a comp on a regular basis and become a desirable club.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The manager wants cash now and not in 12 months time. It’s a few grand different for him but potentially hundreds for Selwyn. Get him locked up early and have more free time to slog other players in your stable.

I hope the club does extend him prior to November though. I’m a big fan of the kid. He is similar to Coates but without being so soft.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
We're always going to have an advantage because we can upgrade him for 2023 for an immediate pay rise.

I have full faith in DD & Ikin unlike the other clowns, to manage our roster intelligently moving forward.

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
Yeah, not sure what's going on here. His manager should be in no hurry to lock him up if he thinks he's going to blossom this year. It's true, he has expressed demand from the Dolphins, and he's enjoying a little hype on the back of a decent end to the NRL season and breakout performance in the ISC, but I would think his value will only increase this season if he starts to realize potential.

Locking up young players is a bit like buying commodity futures. You're punting on their current perceived value being less than their future realized value. So if Cobbo's manager is eager to extend him before the end of the preseason, he's actually punting on him being overhyped.

This is the opposite of Herbie - who's managing his own contract - who is punting on his value going up this season before signing away his future. That's a vote of confidence in himself.
I do like that his manager hasn't tried to make him sound like the best player I'm the game.
Admits he is learning, but has potential - I think that's a pretty honest approach.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I do like that his manager hasn't tried to make him sound like the best player I'm the game.
Admits he is learning, but has potential - I think that's a pretty honest approach.

Its refreshing isn't it.

I feel like this is one that will be done. Cobbs wants to be a Bronco and we want him to be a Bronco. Kids with his ability already and massive upside don't come around every day, he's special but he doesn't like he thinks he's special, so much to like.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
The kid may well have said to his manager he really wants to stay at the Broncos but for a tad more money so get it done.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Hopefully Cobbo stays but I’d say it’ll be at the cost of Herbie.
The interesting thing with Herbie is he apparently feels very strongly on seeing how the broncos perform this year and will make a decision off that. And if he does leave, it sounds like he will be going to the dolphins. A club that no one will know how they will perform until 2023, not to mention a club that is yet to sign a 1, 6, 7 or 9.
It makes no $en$e.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The interesting thing with Herbie is he apparently feels very strongly on seeing how the broncos perform this year and will make a decision off that. And if he does leave, it sounds like he will be going to the dolphins. A club that no one will know how they will perform until 2023, not to mention a club that is yet to sign a 1, 6, 7 or 9.
It makes no $en$e.
That is just what players say when they don’t want to say they are leaving for the money. If the Dolphins offer more he will go there and just adjust the messaging depending on how we are going. If we are struggling it will be “Love the Broncos but I need to go someone for my career to progress”. If we are doing well it will be “Now that I know the club is in a good place I can leave knowing they will be fine”

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It makes no $en$e.
There should be plenty of money to spend on outside backs when/if we shed Oates and Isaako.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Seibs
  • LittleDavey
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  • Rambstien
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • Robboi_321
  • broncos4life
  • whykickamoocow
  • Fozz
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.