Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Hopefully Cobbo stays but I’d say it’ll be at the cost of Herbie.
The interesting thing with Herbie is he apparently feels very strongly on seeing how the broncos perform this year and will make a decision off that. And if he does leave, it sounds like he will be going to the dolphins. A club that no one will know how they will perform until 2023, not to mention a club that is yet to sign a 1, 6, 7 or 9.
It makes no $en$e.
maybe the Broncos are only prepared to give him a certain amount having Cobbo and mariner as there priorities.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Hopefully Cobbo stays but I’d say it’ll be at the cost of Herbie.
The interesting thing with Herbie is he apparently feels very strongly on seeing how the broncos perform this year and will make a decision off that. And if he does leave, it sounds like he will be going to the dolphins. A club that no one will know how they will perform until 2023, not to mention a club that is yet to sign a 1, 6, 7 or 9.
It makes no $en$e.
I wouldn't take Herbie literally on that. He's acting as his own agent. His answer was along the lines of "let's see how things go." So he's doing two things:

1. Playing a bit of a hard to get, like there's someone else who'll snap him up, and that someone else is looking pretty good. Maybe even better than the Broncos.
2. Backing himself to be worth more mid season than he is now.

I can't fault his approach, both from his own standpoint and ours. It's in both our interests for Herbie to raise his value this season. It's what we want from him, and it's what we need from him. Neither he nor the club should be happy with his failure to cross the line or set up other players last season. He wants to get better and he's backing himself to do it. That's great. Two thumbs up.

And frankly, if he doesn't raise his worth, we should let him go. But my money would be on him finding his feet. He has all the ingredients in spades. He just needs to be more of a team player, or he needs to go back to the wing.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
The media shouldn’t even be allowed to write articles like this on players who can’t be offered contracts. To me, and I agree with others itt, it looks like a tactic from managers to skirt the rules.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The media shouldn’t even be allowed to write articles like this on players who can’t be offered contracts. To me, and I agree with others itt, it looks like a tactic from managers to skirt the rules.
He's not skirting any rules. He's saying he'd like to EXTEND Selwyn's existing contract, not rescind it and jump to another club. Can't see the hurry myself, but maybe Selwyn is nervous about competition from Mariner, etc. Or maybe they're just looking for something to write about, and it's Selwyn's turn for some publicity. Nothing to see here, really.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
He's not skirting any rules. He's saying he'd like to EXTEND Selwyn's existing contract, not rescind it and jump to another club. Can't see the hurry myself, but maybe Selwyn is nervous about competition from Mariner, etc. Or maybe they're just looking for something to write about, and it's Selwyn's turn for some publicity. Nothing to see here, really.
Selwyn isn’t nervous about Mariner cause he just shifts somewhere else in the backline. Wing or Fullback. I am a really big fan of Niu but I’m not overly faithful he will last the season to be honest especially if Cobbo kills it.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
That is just what players say when they don’t want to say they are leaving for the money. If the Dolphins offer more he will go there and just adjust the messaging depending on how we are going. If we are struggling it will be “Love the Broncos but I need to go someone for my career to progress”. If we are doing well it will be “Now that I know the club is in a good place I can leave knowing they will be fine”
Herbie's the guy who re-signed at our lowest without considering other offers and saying he wants to be part of the group that gets us back to the top. I wouldn't question his loyalty at all, he'd be smart to wait and get a better offer if he backs himself. If he leaves so be it, but I rate the kid.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Herbie's the guy who re-signed at our lowest without considering other offers and saying he wants to be part of the group that gets us back to the top. I wouldn't question his loyalty at all, he'd be smart to wait and get a better offer if he backs himself. If he leaves so be it, but I rate the kid.
I rate him too I wasn’t meaning that to come across like I don’t, I just think these statements that managers make on their behalf are bullshit.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
“Staff Writers” from Fox Sports are claiming that Broncos are about to table a $1m dollar extension to Cobbo in the coming weeks to keep the Phins at bay.

Mr Writers has no evidence of this other than an ageing quote from Ikin stating “when the time is right we will enter negotiations to try and keep him at the club”.

Cobbo is contracted this year and next so a $1m extension/pay rise sounds reasonable. Cobbo re-signed mid last year until the end of ‘23 on what? $300k maybe? I really have no idea. If we extend him and give him a pay rise $1m isn’t a bad deal. Worst case scenario he extends 1 year:

2022: $300k + $150k = $450k
2023: $300k + $250k = $550k
2024: $600k

If he extends 2 years (end of 2025) and it only costs us a total of $1m than that is a huge win.

That would be a 100k pay bump per season for the rest of his initial contract and then $400k per year for the extra 2. If he kicks on as a fullback by then, it’s a steal. Especially as by then Isaako (>$350k), Oates ($500k), and Niu (who knows? $300k?) will all be off the books.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
“Staff Writers” from Fox Sports are claiming that Broncos are about to table a $1m dollar extension to Cobbo in the coming weeks to keep the Phins at bay.

Mr Writers has no evidence of this other than an ageing quote from Ikin stating “when the time is right we will enter negotiations to try and keep him at the club”.

Cobbo is contracted this year and next so a $1m extension/pay rise sounds reasonable. Cobbo re-signed mid last year until the end of ‘23 on what? $300k maybe? I really have no idea. If we extend him and give him a pay rise $1m isn’t a bad deal. Worst case scenario he extends 1 year:

2022: $300k + $150k = $450k
2023: $300k + $250k = $550k
2024: $600k

If he extends 2 years (end of 2025) and it only costs us a total of $1m than that is a huge win.

That would be a 100k pay bump per season for the rest of his initial contract and then $400k per year for the extra 2. If he kicks on as a fullback by then, it’s a steal. Especially as by then Isaako (>$350k), Oates ($500k), and Niu (who knows? $300k?) will all be off the books.

The source is his agent, but it's just as likely to be a forced slow news story. Maybe Badel rang his agent and asked what's going on with his contract. Maybe it was the other way around. We will never know.

It's all a bit premature, in my book. Despite his "potential" and how much everyone is hyping him, the reality is he's struggling to hold his centre position, and is just as likely to be relegated to the wing behind Herbie Farnworth. Contrast this with Reece Walsh, who came straight into the Warriors, nailed the fullback position, and was even selected for Origin. So right now, you'd have to value Selwyn less than Reece.

Get back to us mid-season, give him a run at the back, and let's take another look at his value.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Broncos should be giving Pearl a gold credit card to wine and dine Cobbo, get in his ear at every opportunity and talk up the club until he signs.
I imagine they're well acquainted, being Cherbourg old boys plus the Deadly Choices/Vaccination stuff. Steve was also Herbie's mentor.

In case you didn't know, Selwyn's Great Great Grandfather Eddie Gilbert was a handy fast bowler. You can read what Steve thinks about Selwyn here:

C5cd973a5df51122306ccbdc83971f56

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The source is his agent, but it's just as likely to be a forced slow news story. Maybe Badel rang his agent and asked what's going on with his contract. Maybe it was the other way around. We will never know.

It's all a bit premature, in my book. Despite his "potential" and how much everyone is hyping him, the reality is he's struggling to hold his centre position, and is just as likely to be relegated to the wing behind Herbie Farnworth. Contrast this with Reece Walsh, who came straight into the Warriors, nailed the fullback position, and was even selected for Origin. So right now, you'd have to value Selwyn less than Reece.

Get back to us mid-season, give him a run at the back, and let's take another look at his value.
Few bad takes in there tbf. Reece got lured away with $500k per year without playing a single game. At least we know Selwyn can be a gun centre and winger if fb doesn’t work out. Pretty silly comparison if not to highlight why we probably do need to take a bit of a risk.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I can remember just as much hype around Coates tbh as we see with Cobbo. I know people will say but he always had issues with defence etc, but thats parts of his game that can be improved, we just didnt do it. Cobbo is coming into a much more stable environment and should benefit greatly.

Big difference with the contract situation though is the Phins are around now and its going to put pressure on us to get a deal done sooner rather than later. I dont think its unreasonable to wait until the season is well under way before starting talks. Its probably the smart decision to do that.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Few bad takes in there tbf. Reece got lured away with $500k per year without playing a single game. At least we know Selwyn can be a gun centre and winger if fb doesn’t work out. Pretty silly comparison if not to highlight why we probably do need to take a bit of a risk.
Reece didn't get $500k a year. I'm sure @Foordy will be able to give us the exact amount, but AFAIK he got something like $300k, $400k, $500k over 3 years. Maybe not even that much.

My point is he slotted straight into one of the highest paid spine positions replacing one of the best in the game. Fullback is generally paid more than wing. So if Selwyn wants to up his contract to reflect him being the future fullback, he should probably wait until he's had a game there.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Reece didn't get $500k a year. I'm sure @Foordy will be able to give us the exact amount, but AFAIK he got something like $300k, $400k, $500k over 3 years. Maybe not even that much.

My point is he slotted straight into one of the highest paid spine positions replacing one of the best in the game. Fullback is generally paid more than wing. So if Selwyn wants to up his contract to reflect him being the future fullback, he should probably wait until he's had a game there.

zero tackle have him down at 450k (which he got before playing a single second of reserve grade, i might add)

and I have no doubt you'll believe that figure 100% because zero tackle get all of their figures from those beacons of truth you idolise so much ... the rugby league media

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
zero tackle have him down at 450k (which he got before playing a single second of reserve grade, i might add)

and I have no doubt you'll believe that figure 100% because zero tackle get all of their figures from those beacons of truth you idolise so much ... the rugby league media
The figure I saw thrown around everywhere was $1.2 million. The contract was for three years plus a PO. If those Zero Tackle numbers are to be trusted - and I doubt they are - that puts him on $300 last season.

Meanwhile, Mike Colman has him on $100K + $400K (for three years). Maybe that's the $1.2 Million.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The figure I saw thrown around everywhere was $1.2 million. The contract was for three years plus a PO. If those Zero Tackle numbers are to be trusted - and I doubt they are - that puts him on $300 last season.

Meanwhile, Mike Colman has him on $100K + $400K (for three years). Maybe that's the $1.2 Million.

lol we probably should’ve kept him ay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dee
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.