Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's thoughts on Walsh? Talk is growing louder and louder he wants to come back home and will land at either the Broncos or Dolphins.
I don't know where I sit on it at this stage.. A lot for me depends on Cobbo and his development. If the club doesn't see Cobbo as our long term FB I think Walsh is a better option then Niu.
It also needs to be remembered that Walsh walked out on us only last year and he has already suffered an off field incident - something the club is trying to remove from its culture.
TBH, I dare say Wayne will go pretty hard to get him at the Dolphins.
imo priority should be re-signing Cobbo. Depending on what Herbie is wanting $ we could potentially let Herbie walk and get Walsh, but I'd say Walsh will be wanting big $.
He walked out on his contract with us to sign with the Warriors; it’s about time he started honouring the commitments he makes.

If he is worth signing / we need a player like him and he wants to come back to the club at the end of his Warriors deal, let’s talk then.

What's everyone's thoughts on Walsh? Talk is growing louder and louder he wants to come back home and will land at either the Broncos or Dolphins.
I don't know where I sit on it at this stage.. A lot for me depends on Cobbo and his development. If the club doesn't see Cobbo as our long term FB I think Walsh is a better option then Niu.
It also needs to be remembered that Walsh walked out on us only last year and he has already suffered an off field incident - something the club is trying to remove from its culture.
imo priority should be re-signing Cobbo. Depending on what Herbie is wanting $ we could potentially let Herbie walk and get Walsh, but I'd say Walsh will be wanting big $.
**** him, the club has worked hard to turn around their culture and this little prick symbolises everything that was wrong with our culture previously. Go to the Dolphins or whoever can give him the most eye liner if the baby doesn’t want to go to NZ.

Walsh is definitely immature, with a high opinion of himself and some red flags personality wise... but let's not pretend that most other young superstar players in his shoes would be any different. He might come good or he might go the way of Ash Taylor. Time will tell. I hope for him and for the game he manages to reign it in and make something of himself.

For the Broncos, coming off a wooden spoon season with absolutely no fullback prospects and very little to lose, I will never understand the decision to let a clearly promising young talent (and a spine player!) walk for no compensation.

I understand maybe Kevvie thought he wasn't ready, or would have preferred to see him develop in reserve grade (and that's a commendable and appropriate approach), but the fact is that option was taken off the table by young Walsh's greed / impatience and it came down to giving him a shot or letting him walk. Principles are important, but being stubborn and too proud to be flexible and adaptive is problematic. There was NOTHING to be gained by letting him walk, so even a 10% chance that he turned into a solid contributor made giving him a run the better option.

The Bronco's risk / reward assessment of the situation was incorrect (in my opinion), and maybe Walsh will fizzle and we won't regret it, but if he kicks on then it's going to be a pretty serious blunder.

And yes, it's not just about on-field performances and there were some personality issues - but this is the responsibility of the coaching staff... Surround him with good mentors and guide him and help him mature and grow. If you want to cut every talented teenage player who enjoys a recreational substance, wants to get paid and thinks he's an immortal then you wouldn't have a very full roster.

He'll be a Dolphin, I'm 65.32% sure.

Extend Cobbo and resign Herbie before even thinking about Walsh.
If Selwyn wants to play fullback the thought of Walsh coming may edge him to the Dolphins.
Selwyn and Herbie have more upside in my opinion Walsh is good but how much better can he get once teams figure him out.

Walsh is definitely immature, with a high opinion of himself and some red flags personality wise... but let's not pretend that most other young superstar players in his shoes would be any different. He might come good or he might go the way of Ash Taylor. Time will tell. I hope for him and for the game he manages to reign it in and make something of himself.

For the Broncos, coming off a wooden spoon season with absolutely no fullback prospects and very little to lose, I will never understand the decision to let a clearly promising young talent (and a spine player!) walk for no compensation.

I understand maybe Kevvie thought he wasn't ready, or would have preferred to see him develop in reserve grade (and that's a commendable and appropriate approach), but the fact is that option was taken off the table by young Walsh's greed / impatience and it came down to giving him a shot or letting him walk. Principles are important, but being stubborn and too proud to be flexible and adaptive is problematic. There was NOTHING to be gained by letting him walk, so even a 10% chance that he turned into a solid contributor made giving him a run the better option.

The Bronco's risk / reward assessment of the situation was incorrect (in my opinion), and maybe Walsh will fizzle and we won't regret it, but if he kicks on then it's going to be a pretty serious blunder.

And yes, it's not just about on-field performances and there were some personality issues - but this is the responsibility of the coaching staff... Surround him with good mentors and guide him and help him mature and grow. If you want to cut every talented teenage player who enjoys a recreational substance, wants to get paid and thinks he's an immortal then you wouldn't have a very full roster.

The Broncos released him from his last year in April- if they make him wait until November to join the Warriors, all you're doing is putting work into someone that is leaving maybe you transfer those 16 NRL games over to the Broncos or maybe he kicks stones and plays 16 ISC games for Norths and you get nothing out of him anyway.

I have serious doubts Walsh was mature enough to say I am at the Warriors in November but I am committed to the Broncos until then- what can I do to help Kevvie? He wanted a release as soon as he signed. He wasn't going to do a Reynolds and see it out like a mature adult.

He would have brought the whole place down for six months.

If he was mature he would have recognised what the Broncos were telling him which was you haven't played since 2019, you're coming off a shoulder op, you're 18 let's start with Norths and see how we go. Stay here surrounded by family and friends, you're about to become a dad you will need all that soon. He was still going to be well paid for what he had achieved and was going to be in the top 30 just had to start out in ISC for a while.

I said all through the negotiations his manager was trying to have the biggest dick in the room and Walsh bought it and took the golden path.

I think perhaps with Walsh, broncos knew they had Cobbo coming through and maybe saw him as a better option. Walsh has some spark, but he’s small and seemingly a bit of a douchebag. While I think it was foolish to let him go, I think that was just a sign of how bad things were at the broncos at that time. Moving forward things are looking better.

I’d focus on Cobbo. He is a first grader without doubt. Could be a gun fullback, or at the very least a good centre / winger. He’s worth the $500k a season now because he’s more of a sure thing than Walsh was.

as for the Herbie love, I’d be paying Cobbo more than Herbie. Herbie has played a bunch and hasn’t seemed to get much better.

This might be Walsh trying to rectify his dumb decisions e.g. the move away and his inflated attitude issue. I don't think he wants to be that superstar guy yet he realised he can't handle it and honestly probably doesn't like the man he see's in the mirror. He isn't a bad kid he just got to far ahead of himself. Remember mistakes shape peoples futures, he will be better for it. If he is willing to come to our club and work his ass off for everything he wants and needs out of his footy I'm 100% willing to welcome him back. But if he comes to our club thinking he is the prince that gets what he wants, when he wants he can **** right off. Final non-negotiable is absolutely no pay rise he sits on or less than his pay (what we pay warriors have to pay) and he works his ass off for the remainder of his current deal to earn more. Thing with Walsh is he plays second fiddle to Cobbo, when Cobbo is ready to play Fullback if that's what he wants Walsh moves elsewhere in the backline (unless he does something to prove otherwise) and if its far enough down the track Walsh starts to probably transfer into a 6 post Reynolds. I'll be honest the kids so fucken talented and his style of play is not a style teams can 'figure out' it is just straight eyes up footy. Admittedly he needs to be better under the high ball and in defence. We all are just too proud to admit it but he is/was going to be an absolute superstar and if we have the opportunity to rectify not signing him before whilst he wants to be at our club we need to do it. Conditional of reforming his attitude towards his footy and standing in the playing group that is.

If the man was truly using this as a chance for some clout he would be fucking off to Sydney. He is a man who made mistakes and he is trying to rectify them in his young age while he can. He's that kid that left home to early thinking they were top shit and were back in at their parents house paying board (consequences) a couple weeks later. Its a regular occurrence for kids and his just happened to **** over a few more people and be played out more publicly. But one thing he has learnt is that he was grateful for how he was treated and his circumstances at the Broncos and he wants to be back. He spat the dummy lost his shit, all of our opinions have changed on him but regardless of whether he lands here, the Titans or Redcliffe he deserves a second chance (somewhat does have to be earned) from us.

This might be Walsh trying to rectify his dumb decisions e.g. the move away and his inflated attitude issue. I don't think he wants to be that superstar guy yet he realised he can't handle it and honestly probably doesn't like the man he see's in the mirror. He isn't a bad kid he just got to far ahead of himself. Remember mistakes shape peoples futures, he will be better for it. If he is willing to come to our club and work his ass off for everything he wants and needs out of his footy I'm 100% willing to welcome him back. But if he comes to our club thinking he is the prince that gets what he wants, when he wants he can **** right off. Final non-negotiable is absolutely no pay rise he sits on or less than his pay (what we pay warriors have to pay) and he works his ass off for the remainder of his current deal to earn more. Thing with Walsh is he plays second fiddle to Cobbo, when Cobbo is ready to play Fullback if that's what he wants Walsh moves elsewhere in the backline (unless he does something to prove otherwise) and if its far enough down the track Walsh starts to probably transfer into a 6 post Reynolds. I'll be honest the kids so fucken talented and his style of play is not a style teams can 'figure out' it is just straight eyes up footy. Admittedly he needs to be better under the high ball and in defence. We all are just too proud to admit it but he is/was going to be an absolute superstar and if we have the opportunity to rectify not signing him before whilst he wants to be at our club we need to do it. Conditional of reforming his attitude towards his footy and standing in the playing group that is.

If the man was truly using this as a chance for some clout he would be fucking off to Sydney. He is a man who made mistakes and he is trying to rectify them in his young age while he can. He's that kid that left home to early thinking they were top shit and were back in at their parents house paying board (consequences) a couple weeks later. Its a regular occurrence for kids and his just happened to **** over a few more people and be played out more publicly. But one thing he has learnt is that he was grateful for how he was treated and his circumstances at the Broncos and he wants to be back. He spat the dummy lost his shit, all of our opinions have changed on him but regardless of whether he lands here, the Titans or Redcliffe he deserves a second chance (somewhat does have to be earned) from us.
What would your thoughts be on Walsh transitioning into a 7 post Reynolds?
If all goes well Mam would be the 6, Cobbo the 1 and Mozer at 9

He could still be a very valuable player for us. Yep, he made an error of judgement leaving for the Warriors and stuffed up off the field, but we are also carrying 2 blokes who have done plenty of messing up off the field as well so we do give people second and third chances. If we feel he has the right attitude now, he would be a great signing.

If it's legit then it sounds like he's trying for a move to Reddy before he has to pack his shit and move to NZ.

Will be interesting if the Dolphins sign Ponga... I dont think Walsh is a 6 in the NRL... he's got the attacking game to make it at 6, but he is already a target in the defensive line and that's from fullback.

Unless he has a growth spurt he might be a fullback only... that would definitely work for us, because Cobbo is no sure thing at fullback just yet... but I'm happy for us to monitor the situation, provide zero to the media and work on developing and locking down Cobbo

If it's legit then it sounds like he's trying for a move to Reddy before he has to pack his shit and move to NZ.

Will be interesting if the Dolphins sign Ponga... I dont think Walsh is a 6 in the NRL... he's got the attacking game to make it at 6, but he is already a target in the defensive line and that's from fullback.

Unless he has a growth spurt he might be a fullback only... that would definitely work for us, because Cobbo is no sure thing at fullback just yet... but I'm happy for us to monitor the situation, provide zero to the media and work on developing and locking down Cobbo

Agreed totally. Cobbo should be and is the priority. If there is something left after that and Walsh wants to accept that than fine but if not, well too bad mate you burnt your bridge for now.

The Broncos released him from his last year in April- if they make him wait until November to join the Warriors, all you're doing is putting work into someone that is leaving maybe you transfer those 16 NRL games over to the Broncos or maybe he kicks stones and plays 16 ISC games for Norths and you get nothing out of him anyway.

I have serious doubts Walsh was mature enough to say I am at the Warriors in November but I am committed to the Broncos until then- what can I do to help Kevvie? He wanted a release as soon as he signed. He wasn't going to do a Reynolds and see it out like a mature adult.

He would have brought the whole place down for six months.

If he was mature he would have recognised what the Broncos were telling him which was you haven't played since 2019, you're coming off a shoulder op, you're 18 let's start with Norths and see how we go. Stay here surrounded by family and friends, you're about to become a dad you will need all that soon. He was still going to be well paid for what he had achieved and was going to be in the top 30 just had to start out in ISC for a while.

I said all through the negotiations his manager was trying to have the biggest dick in the room and Walsh bought it and took the golden path.

I completely agree that the kid is a moron for wanting to jump ship, that's not in question - but I think the Broncos handled it the wrong way.

Walsh couldn't sign with Warriors until Broncos released him. When he came asking for a release then the question became a risk-reward... what's to be gained from letting him walk? Nothing. What's to be gained from letting him play? Maybe he lights it up.

At that time we should have sat down with him and told him to stay and given him his crack. Maybe he still would have left for the Warriors (or someone else) later, but at least we had a go and did what we could.

There was no way in hell Walsh would have left the club had we a CEO at the time and Kevie wasn't trying to row every boat back to the club himself.

That was a major **** up and one I feel we will fix.

I very highly believe he will come back to the club now it has stability and direction.

Cobbo is a centre (in waiting), what we need is a fullback like Walsh to polish our spine.

I completely agree that the kid is a moron for wanting to jump ship, that's not in question - but I think the Broncos handled it the wrong way.

Walsh couldn't sign with Warriors until Broncos released him. When he came asking for a release then the question became a risk-reward... what's to be gained from letting him walk? Nothing. What's to be gained from letting him play? Maybe he lights it up.

At that time we should have sat down with him and told him to stay and given him his crack. Maybe he still would have left for the Warriors (or someone else) later, but at least we had a go and did what we could.

He had left, he signed with the Warriors in March for 22, he was granted a release in April to go to the Warriors straight away and not wait until November.

You're assuming if they made him stay from April-November he plays well for the Broncos- I am saying I doubt that.

Walsh couldn't sign with Warriors until Broncos released him.
Yes he could, he was off-contract for 2022, meaning he was free to sign with whoever from November 1st 2020. The Broncos merely released him from the final year of his development deal.

What Brisbane could have done is tried to promote Walsh to an NRL deal during the pre-season but the roster was such a mess that they weren't going to rush another youngster into first grade.

There was no way in hell Walsh would have left the club had we a CEO at the time and Kevie wasn't trying to row every boat back to the club himself.

I very highly believe he will come back to the club now it has stability and direction.

Cobbo is a centre (in waiting), what we need is a fullback like Walsh to polish our spine.

Plenty of players have left the Storm too. I doubt very much Donoghy makes a difference. The Broncos did everything they could for Walsh.

Yes he could, he was off-contract for 2022, meaning he was free to sign with whoever from November 1st 2020. The Broncos merely released him from the final year of his development deal.

What Brisbane could have done is tried to promote Walsh to an NRL deal during the pre-season but the roster was such a mess that they weren't going to rush another youngster into first grade.
He had left, he signed with the Warriors in March for 22, he was granted a release in April to go to the Warriors straight away and not wait until November.

You're assuming if they made him stay from April-November he plays well for the Broncos- I am saying I doubt that.

My mistake, I thought he left mid-contract and had to be granted a release in order to go to the Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• The True King
  • LittleDavey
  • MrMoore
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • BroncsNBundy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Redux
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.