Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It’s the towels.
I know you said it as a joke but it’s more than the towels. The towels are just a metaphor or scenario of how far the club is willing to go for its players. But how far are the players willing to go for the club is now the question.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
No way to Walsh.

Culture and attitude beats talent!

Our last 15 years have shown this.

And anyway.... who do we sacrifice for this bloke? Cobbo to centre? We may lose cobbo for that decision alone but if we don't then we lose mariner who is supposedly an absolute gun. Maybe we put him to 5/8th? No thanks anyway! But if we did we potentially lose mam, no no no.
Everyone could see this happening. His career with be continuous speculation and controversy combined with over-ratedness. People who say he is a superstar already and "replaced" rts need to sit down and watch 80 MINUTES of games rather then the 2 mins highlight package.

I believe Cobbo's preferred position is center... it's the fans that want him at FB

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
His career with be continuous speculation and controversy.
That's my big issue with Walsh, I said before he made grade he had a turd attitude and he's only proven me right. Signs elsewhere because he can't wait a few weeks, cries for an early release, then is apparently now crying for an early release again.

We don't need that rubbish, I'd rather take the longer road to the top with a team full of good attitudes than Walsh types. He might be a superstar, but one star doesn't build a winning culture.

At least Fifita agonised over leaving. Walsh stepped out the second a better opportunity came up.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
No way to Walsh.

And anyway.... who do we sacrifice for this bloke? Cobbo to centre? We may lose cobbo for that decision alone but if we don't then we lose mariner who is supposedly an absolute gun. Maybe we put him to 5/8th? No thanks anyway! But if we did we potentially lose mam, no no no.
Everyone could see this happening. His career with be continuous speculation and controversy combined with over-ratedness. People who say he is a superstar already and "replaced" rts need to sit down and watch 80 MINUTES of games rather then the 2 mins highlight package.
I agree, he did some flashy things but he also didn't take the Warriors anywhere. But neither should he as a rookie.

My main concern is his sub par defence and his obvious ego issues and i am not sure he will develop into the type of guy we want here.

One thing I can say he has going for him is a competitive edge. You can tell he competes on every play and is not the type of guy to not try something or go that extra step.

If we were to consider him, I hope it would only be if we think we have the group from front office to the field to pull him into line and develop him as a person. You never know he may pull a Hodges and become a club legend but my heart says he will just use us in the negotiations with the Phins.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I know I'm saying this as a one eyed broncos fan but does any other club have as many players that leave the club for massive amounts of money that actually look and sound way more depressed then when they were at the club.
Fifita looks like he's imitating a sad clown when he plays these days. Ash Taylor looked like he had the world on his shoulders at the titans.
Theres been a lot more the last few years but even sailor never looked as happy as he did at the broncos.

For all the bagging the broncos get regarding player development, the players must have it damn good here and it appears they don't appreciate it until it's gone. They often develop together with their mates, have the best facilities, get great support, and play for the club most of them supported growing up.
Yes other clubs do this... one you'd have to move to Melbourne for (no one in the club is obviously from Melbourne so they have to move there), move to very western Western Sydney for (penriff - they never scab anyway to their credit), or play in front of 3 fans (roosters), with the risk that ALL 3 of these clubs would drop you far quicker then the broncos would (eg Jayden) if you aren't performing in a new system in a new city....

These spoilt little shits have it good at the broncos, time they start EARNING it...
Apparently the towels are exceptional, everyone raves over them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'd be open to Reece Walsh's return.

That was one of the reasons why I was happy they released him early. Since he wasn't figured into their plans, the only reason to keep him around was to punish him. I think that sets a terrible example and is just petty behaviour from a club. Especially during a time where they couldn't afford to be petty and had to move on for their own good.

A player swap would have been nice, but the Warriors really didn't have anyone available.

I'd monitor the situation because he's undeniably talented but if he continues to go off the rails or demands far too much money with little to show for it, the club would be better served going elsewhere. However if he keeps his nose clean, continues to play well and still wants to return to the club then the club would be foolish not to consider it, especially if Niu struggles.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I'd be open to Reece Walsh's return.

That was one of the reasons why I was happy they released him early. Since he wasn't figured into their plans, the only reason to keep him around was to punish him. I think that sets a terrible example and is just petty behaviour from a club. Especially during a time where they couldn't afford to be petty and had to move on for their own good.

A player swap would have been nice, but the Warriors really didn't have anyone available.

I'd monitor the situation because he's undeniably talented but if he continues to go off the rails or demands far too much money with little to show for it, the club would be better served going elsewhere. However if he keeps his nose clean, continues to play well and still wants to return to the club then the club would be foolish not to consider it, especially if Niu struggles.
😏

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Two ways of thinking, and the public perception is just as important for Walsh as it is to other young players:

(1) Tell him to **** off, he had his chance to develop properly through our system, he didn't want to work for it so left for a quick buck and a start. Once you show that attitude, you've proven you're not the sort of player we want, it makes other young players think twice about the easy road, and they'll know that if they stay they'll be expected to develop how the club sees fit.

(2) Let him come back, but with certain restrictions (expectation to develop further in Q Cup if necessary, especially in defence). They learn that they do get another shot but only if they have learned their lesson.

Coupled with this though, there needs to be the showing of reward for any loyalty shown. As much as Glenn and Boyd played on far too long, they were looked after due to their efforts for us. Even if it's not "veteran gets rewarded when past his prime", there needs to be mid-range and 4-5 year players that are very visibly rewarded for putting in their efforts to show that they are appreciated and looked after if they put in the hard work every week and put the team first.

M

mstreet

QCup Player
Sep 3, 2020
Two ways of thinking, and the public perception is just as important for Walsh as it is to other young players:

(1) Tell him to **** off, he had his chance to develop properly through our system, he didn't want to work for it so left for a quick buck and a start. Once you show that attitude, you've proven you're not the sort of player we want, it makes other young players think twice about the easy road, and they'll know that if they stay they'll be expected to develop how the club sees fit.

(2) Let him come back, but with certain restrictions (expectation to develop further in Q Cup if necessary, especially in defence). They learn that they do get another shot but only if they have learned their lesson.

Coupled with this though, there needs to be the showing of reward for any loyalty shown. As much as Glenn and Boyd played on far too long, they were looked after due to their efforts for us. Even if it's not "veteran gets rewarded when past his prime", there needs to be mid-range and 4-5 year players that are very visibly rewarded for putting in their efforts to show that they are appreciated and looked after if they put in the hard work every week and put the team first.
From Walsh's end, it was a **** up. From reports, an offer and pathway that looked after the club and the player was tabled. Walsh's support crew let him down; parents and player manager. Would like to see him back at the club, but demonstrating work ethic and humility; a desire to be of service rather than being served.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think if the Broncos met with him and were happy with his attitude and commitment if he came back then its probably the right thing for the club. Like i said, we havent kicked out others who have made errors, but with Walsh its going to be if we feel he's got that commitment.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I know I'm saying this as a one eyed broncos fan but does any other club have as many players that leave the club for massive amounts of money that actually look and sound way more depressed then when they were at the club.
Fifita looks like he's imitating a sad clown when he plays these days. Ash Taylor looked like he had the world on his shoulders at the titans.
Theres been a lot more the last few years but even sailor never looked as happy as he did at the broncos.

For all the bagging the broncos get regarding player development, the players must have it damn good here and it appears they don't appreciate it until it's gone. They often develop together with their mates, have the best facilities, get great support, and play for the club most of them supported growing up.
Yes other clubs do this... one you'd have to move to Melbourne for (no one in the club is obviously from Melbourne so they have to move there), move to very western Western Sydney for (penriff - they never scab anyway to their credit), or play in front of 3 fans (roosters), with the risk that ALL 3 of these clubs would drop you far quicker then the broncos would (eg Jayden) if you aren't performing in a new system in a new city....

These spoilt little shits have it good at the broncos, time they start EARNING it...
I'd argue that's the club's failing. Allowing them to get too ahead of themselves.

Part of an academy should also be about teaching them humility.. tough as 18yo shits the media talk up. .

But this is one of the problems the club has to solve.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
No way to Walsh.

He's been quoted as wanting to be a centre.

Also, if his attitude has tapered... Then why would you not offer him a contract to return.

I honestly don't blame even Walsh for leaving.. the club was a sinking ship. It was going from bad to worse.

I could understand him wanting to return now even with his tail between his legs.. here he won't need to carry the team, family closer....

This is actually the reason why I think he'll sign here and not the dolphins. I am not sure he'll make the same mistake twice. He left for big bucks and stardum. He flew too close to the sun... Broncos will be a safe place for him to build himself back up. Under Reynolds and the other leaders taking the brunt of the pressure.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I believe Cobbo's preferred position is center... it's the fans that want him at FB
Cause the fans are borderline racist tbf wanting him to be the next Latrell.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He's been quoted as wanting to be a centre.

Also, if his attitude has tapered... Then why would you not offer him a contract to return.

I honestly don't blame even Walsh for leaving.. the club was a sinking ship. It was going from bad to worse.

I could understand him wanting to return now even with his tail between his legs.. here he won't need to carry the team, family closer....

This is actually the reason why I think he'll sign here and not the dolphins. I am not sure he'll make the same mistake twice. He left for big bucks and stardum. He flew too close to the sun... Broncos will be a safe place for him to build himself back up. Under Reynolds and the other leaders taking the brunt of the pressure.
The Dolphins might be more desperate. Depends where they're intending to play Jamayne, and whether they land Herbie or Selwyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manifesto
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • IceWorks
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.