Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Nah, pretty glad we didn’t.

He might go on to be a good, but even great, footy player (the jury is still out), but he’s already a flog with a pretty high opinion of himself.
So is half our team and 90% of the games most successful players.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 13, 2017
No rts this year to take the pressure of him,still think he is a 6 and not a fullbacks asshole.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
That is utter shit.

Off the top of my head, those in our current team that don’t carry on like they’re the best to ever lace on a boot:

Cobbo, Farnworth, Carrigan, Hetherington, Gamble, Reynolds, Capewell, Riki, Oates, Perera (spelling), Martin, Lee, Jensen, Turpin, Flegler and even Haas, who as the best prop in the game at the ripe old age of 22, has every right to think highly of himself. I’m sure I’ve missed some too.

Staggs is probably the one bloke in our team that most gives off the ‘dickhead’ vibe, but at least he’s gone some way towards proving his status as one of the better players in the game in his position.

As for other players at other teams, I honestly don’t care about them. Even when we won 5 premierships in a decade, the Broncos were never a team high on themselves. Players like Plath, Smith, De Vere, Hohn, Cann, Carne, Hancock etc. just got the job done without being wankers about it. Then we had players like Pearl, Lazo, Lockyer, Civo, Webcke, Tallis, Thorn etc. that were the best, but they didn’t carry on like it.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The figure I saw thrown around everywhere was $1.2 million. The contract was for three years plus a PO. If those Zero Tackle numbers are to be trusted - and I doubt they are - that puts him on $300 last season.

Meanwhile, Mike Colman has him on $100K + $400K (for three years). Maybe that's the $1.2 Million.

so you finally admit that the media can't be trusted ... hallelujah

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I rate him
I will happily bet you he has a "colourful" career. There's so many red flags there it isn't even funny.

He either left for the 1st sniff (haha) of money that was anywhere near him, despite the fact the chances of success at the warriors are even less then ours. Or he left because he couldn't wait a few games to prove himself. Can you remember Smith, Thurston, lockyer.. in fact any top 10 player of the last 20 years doing something similar?
No, why? Because there are no shortcuts to getting to the top in any professional sport. What do you think Bellamy and Robinson are doing in the off season. They and their teams are reviewing video of Walsh for hours on end, finding weaknesses, weaknesses that he could have hid in qld cup while he builds replies when these weaknesses are targeted. Instead, he now won't get the chance.

He will start the year off well and be borderline dropped at some point this year. Don't believe me.. I've got a lot more examples then you would have of what you're thinking will happen. Walters has made some mistakes, but he handled this "kid" perfectly...

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I will happily bet you he has a "colourful" career. There's so many red flags there it isn't even funny.

He either left for the 1st sniff (haha) of money that was anywhere near him, despite the fact the chances of success at the warriors are even less then ours. Or he left because he couldn't wait a few games to prove himself. Can you remember Smith, Thurston, lockyer.. in fact any top 10 player of the last 20 years doing something similar?
No, why? Because there are no shortcuts to getting to the top in any professional sport. What do you think Bellamy and Robinson are doing in the off season. They and their teams are reviewing video of Walsh for hours on end, finding weaknesses, weaknesses that he could have hid in qld cup while he builds replies when these weaknesses are targeted. Instead, he now won't get the chance.

He will start the year off well and be borderline dropped at some point this year. Don't believe me.. I've got a lot more examples then you would have of what you're thinking will happen. Walters has made some mistakes, but he handled this "kid" perfectly...
100% stuck to his guns and told him ride the pine or get fucked. But in saying that Walsh was greedy we do have to remember Reece is/was an 18 year old kid with a kid. He needed the financial means to support the baby, his girlfriend/partner/ baby mama and himself. Yes he probably could have done that with our contract but at the end of the day the decision to run on would definitely have been influenced by his child a bit more than greed. I know it’s not just you who said it I just think it needs to be stated that there are definitely other reasons that are possible for him moving on other than just cracking the shits with realistically playing half a season of reserve grade before he couldn’t be left out any longer.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

You might wanna rethink using Thurston as an example. If anything he is probably very similar to Walsh at the same age if not far worse.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
100% stuck to his guns and told him ride the pine or get fucked. But in saying that Walsh was greedy we do have to remember Reece is/was an 18 year old kid with a kid. He needed the financial means to support the baby, his girlfriend/partner/ baby mama and himself. Yes he probably could have done that with our contract but at the end of the day the decision to run on would definitely have been influenced by his child a bit more than greed. I know it’s not just you who said it I just think it needs to be stated that there are definitely other reasons that are possible for him moving on other than just cracking the shits with realistically playing half a season of reserve grade before he couldn’t be left out any longer.
The "for my kid" reasoning night work if he wasn't moving to another country (once covid ends) to another country away from family and he wasnt having lines with the boys on a Saturday on the gold coast...

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
You might wanna rethink using Thurston as an example. If anything he is probably very similar to Walsh at the same age if not far worse.
Lol. No, I don't....

"In 2015, it was revealed that Thurston had wanted to stay at Canterbury beyond the 2004 season but the management at the club had re-signed Brent Sherwin and Braith Anasta. According to Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub, the player had wanted to stay at Canterbury even if it had meant a diminished salary but had been told that leaving was the best option"

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Lol. No, I don't....

"In 2015, it was revealed that Thurston had wanted to stay at Canterbury beyond the 2004 season but the management at the club had re-signed Brent Sherwin and Braith Anasta. According to Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub, the player had wanted to stay at Canterbury even if it had meant a diminished salary but had been told that leaving was the best option"
I stand by what I said. Smiths an interesting example too considering they cheated the cap to keep him.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not sure that its an ego thing with him tbh, although i can see how it could be seen that way. I dont know much about him personally, but what i've been told makes him a bit of a contradiction. I heard he was hard working and down to earth, but at the same time he was too impatient to wait for his chance and was a bit of a diva about not getting a shot in the NRL so he chose to leave. Going to be interesting to see if he gets his head down in the rest of his career now or if he goes off the rails.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I stand by what I said. Smiths an interesting example too considering they cheated the cap to keep him.
You can stand by it all you want but considering the topic of discussion was a player leaving a club that developed him for quick money/opportunity I think your footing is looking a little shakey....

And yes the storm cheated the cap. But all the cheating/2nd cap wasn't thrown at Smith, in fact as highly rated as he was even then I doubt they would have had to fight as hard to keep him from rivals compared to Inglis or slater.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021

In a way he sort of reminds me of Jayden Nikorima..

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
The "for my kid" reasoning night work if he wasn't moving to another country (once covid ends) to another country away from family and he wasnt having lines with the boys on a Saturday on the gold coast...
You can move to another country with your kid and girlfriend I do believe, especially for money and let’s be pretty real the lines were the result of arrogance. Cause if you’re saying he still did it at the broncos with his mates a lot of our players would be in the same boat alongside him.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
What's everyone's thoughts on Walsh? Talk is growing louder and louder he wants to come back home and will land at either the Broncos or Dolphins.
I don't know where I sit on it at this stage.. A lot for me depends on Cobbo and his development. If the club doesn't see Cobbo as our long term FB I think Walsh is a better option then Niu.
It also needs to be remembered that Walsh walked out on us only last year and he has already suffered an off field incident - something the club is trying to remove from its culture.
TBH, I dare say Wayne will go pretty hard to get him at the Dolphins.
imo priority should be re-signing Cobbo. Depending on what Herbie is wanting $ we could potentially let Herbie walk and get Walsh, but I'd say Walsh will be wanting big $.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
What's everyone's thoughts on Walsh? Talk is growing louder and louder he wants to come back home and will land at either the Broncos or Dolphins.
I don't know where I sit on it at this stage.. A lot for me depends on Cobbo and his development. If the club doesn't see Cobbo as our long term FB I think Walsh is a better option then Niu.
It also needs to be remembered that Walsh walked out on us only last year and he has already suffered an off field incident - something the club is trying to remove from its culture.
TBH, I dare say Wayne will go pretty hard to get him at the Dolphins.
Dean Ritchie is talking that up today. Describes it as "feeling of inevitability" that he'll stay in Brisbane at the end of this season, most likely defecting to the Dolphins. There's no substance in it. All rumour. But the kid wears his heart on his sleeve so he's evidentally been blurting.

I thought at the time he should've been given the Number 1 in the first round of 2021. He was by far the standout player of the trials, but understand why Kevvie was reticent to throw him straight in. Plus we were clearly over budget. We got snookered. Shit happens.

Now, I'm not so sure we'd want him back. I feel a bit like we've moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • theshed
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • The Don
  • rnabokov
  • Robboi_321
  • thenry
  • BroncoFan94
  • Accept
  • Painin the Haas
  • broncos4life
  • MrRobot
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.