Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
if he leaves at the end of his contract absolutely not ... if he uses this dispute with his manager to somehow void his contract, in an attempt to get more money, well now that's a different story
I really don’t see how he could. You wouldn’t be able to void any other contract because your manager dudded you. Unless you could prove the club was directly involved.

Not the clubs fault he had a dodgey manager.

at worst you’d think the court could order Orr to cover any lost income. It’s got nothing to do with the broncos.

I don’t think anyone can be mad at Payne if he leaves. If he continues to play and train as he has until the end of his current deal, he’d have given us 7 years of incredible service most of which so far has been during the clubs lowest point.

After that I think he has more than earned the right to decide where he wants to go next.
yeah that's how I feel. he's been a shining light in dark times for us - if we can't get our shit together I don't blame him for going somewhere else for a better shot.

There is no issue with his contract right? So the Broncs have done nothing wrong, so if the contract is void because of the agent, surely the NRL have to step in and not allow another club to come in and pay him more, Shirley.

They are two different contracts and this argument about him not getting what he was worth due to his performances doesn't sound like it holds air. You can't look back with hindsight and say hey I played well and made rep teams when I was getting payed less, so therefore I was dudded. That makes no sense, otherwise anybody who performed above their wages can just go to the courts. Buzz is an idiot. The legal case sounds completely like a contract dispute regarding his manager and what he did with their contract between them. If there was more money out there for him at the time does Orr not sound like the type of weasel to try and get that deal done?

Also Payne has negotiated increases to that contract, I doubt you would be able to void contracts you have double downed on. The articles I have read seem to be using the legal documents to drag the Broncos into it despite the club contracts not actually being part of the case. The writers are the ones conjecturing and pushing the line he was undervalued. That is what a club is supposed to do, get good players for the best prices, Haas had potential at the time to be great. It could have gone any way, what if he did an ACL or did't live up to his future increase, could the Broncos take him to court saying they overvalued him.

Its messy and I hope the club performs well and get back to contesting the premiership as that is the only thing that will keep Payne here. If he ends up at the Roosters it will be a disgrace, they have essentially pinched all the top talent for last decade and remained under the cap, it's a crock of shit how they can keep adding the talent they do without even a batted eye by the NRL.

. If he ends up at the Roosters it will be a disgrace, they have essentially pinched all the top talent for last decade and remained under the cap, it's a crock of shit how they can keep adding the talent they do without even a batted eye by the NRL.
Complete farce that club. Suaali and Walker, two of the hottest junior talents with all the hype and both signed on with zero competition.

Meanwhile most clubs struggle to retain juniors, they seem to sign them from other clubs with no difficulty.

Complete farce that club. Suaali and Walker, two of the hottest junior talents with all the hype and both signed on with zero competition.

Meanwhile most clubs struggle to retain juniors, they seem to sign them from other clubs with no difficulty.
Yep and for how much? Walker also resigned last year while he was hot and you add Smith to that aslo. Collins is a Queensland rep to boot. They also signed those two Polynesian brothers we had coming through. The cap down there is endless and our players are being pointed out as being undervalued. The whole Roosters top 30 must be undervalued to be cap compliant.

My favorite thing through all of this is how the media somehow try to attach it to us, because they know that's what will get them clicks. Player vs manager, nobody cares.

This has nothing to do with anything we've done, it only become a Broncos issue if his contract suddenly becomes void and then we have to fight hard to keep him but as of now, it's not a Broncos issue.

I really don’t see how he could. You wouldn’t be able to void any other contract because your manager dudded you. Unless you could prove the club was directly involved.

at worst you’d think the court could order Orr to cover any lost income. It’s got nothing to do with the broncos.
Gasp, are you suggesting that the drunken demented gnome buzz rothfield has no idea about contract law and is just talking bullshit? How dare you !

If you can demonstrate you've been misled when entering a contract, that contract can be invalidated and remedies sought. But never mind that, we've seen multiple times if a player wants to leave or a club wants them to leave, it will happen, after some negotiation.

If Payne is unhappy and wants to leave, the Broncos will let him. Leaving for more money might not be a compelling reason, though.

If you can demonstrate you've been misled when entering a contract, that contract can be invalidated and remedies sought. But never mind that, we've seen multiple times if a player wants to leave or a club wants them to leave, it will happen, after some negotiation.

If Payne is unhappy and wants to leave, the Broncos will let him. Leaving for more money might not be a compelling reason, though.
I don’t think that’s true, or at least, not in this circumstance.

Or perhaps what I am trying to say is that the Broncos could not be the ones to ‘lose’ (have the contract of their best player of the last 3 years terminated and he be immediately free to toddle off and sign anywhere else he wants) due to a contractual / ethical violation by a third party. Particularly a third party engaged by Haas to act in his best interests, the same third party that in no way acts on behalf of the Broncos.

If the Broncos had misled him, that’d be a different story. But at this stage, there is nothing that points to that being the case.

And sure, Haas may try that BS and have someone powerful in the background pulling his strings to do so, but I’d have to think the Broncos would fight it in court (if they wanted to, they may just think it’s not worth the time and cost and / or why keep him here if he is willing to go to those lengths to leave) and win pretty comfortably.

Yep and for how much? Walker also resigned last year while he was hot and you add Smith to that aslo. Collins is a Queensland rep to boot. They also signed those two Polynesian brothers we had coming through. The cap down there is endless and our players are being pointed out as being undervalued. The whole Roosters top 30 must be undervalued to be cap compliant.

In a discussion about the cap you can't talk about acquisitions that aren't even on the cap. The Va'a brothers are playing SG Ball.

I just watched the Roosters v Souths to see how Xavier went- he scored a good first try and was up against Keanu Wright-Dunrobin- two former Broncos and Toowoomba boys playing in Roosters v Souths.

I don’t think that’s true, or at least, not in this circumstance.

Or perhaps what I am trying to say is that the Broncos could not be the ones to ‘lose’ (have the contract of their best player of the last 3 years terminated and he be immediately free to toddle off and sign anywhere else he wants) due to a contractual / ethical violation by a third party. Particularly a third party engaged by Haas to act in his best interests, the same third party that in no way acts on behalf of the Broncos.

If the Broncos had misled him, that’d be a different story. But at this stage, there is nothing that points to that being the case.

And sure, Haas may try that BS and have someone powerful in the background pulling his strings to do so, but I’d have to think the Broncos would fight it in court (if they wanted to, they may just think it’s not worth the time and cost and / or why keep him here if he is willing to go to those lengths to leave) and win pretty comfortably.
There's a bit to unpack. That's why it's going through a higher court. I'm not following the case, nor am I up to date in QLD contract law or the laws governing agents, but the concept of someone misleading you into thinking you're signing something different, and someone being negligent in duty to you, is universal. Bear in mind there is more than one contract and more than one legal issue involved here.

If his agent can prove he was neither negligent nor misleading Payne, then the contracts should remain enforceable. If it's a matter of Payne not paying enough attention, not doing due diligence in reading the contract, not being aware of his market value or changing his mind, that's tough luck for him. Probably.

Best not to speculate and leave it to the courts.

In a discussion about the cap you can't talk about acquisitions that aren't even on the cap. The Va'a brothers are playing SG Ball.

I just watched the Roosters v Souths to see how Xavier went- he scored a good first try and was up against Keanu Wright-Dunrobin- two former Broncos and Toowoomba boys playing in Roosters v Souths.
Yeah that was more pointing out them scooping out talent from clubs. I know you don't see it that way and thats fine. I just get pissed with the way they seem to be able to hold onto a player like Manu, sign Walker, Sualli, then add Smith and are still being linked to Payne. One look at that team says something has to give.

Exactly. I sometimes can't stand all the "Melbourne do bla bla" and the roosters have an ENDLESS CAP! garbage.

By that logic you could make a case that we are over the cap cause we have so many good young talents coming through on our roster.

ROOSTERS DON'T DEVELOP PLAYERS

Yeah that was more pointing out them scooping out talent from clubs. I know you don't see it that way and thats fine. I just get pissed with the way they seem to be able to hold onto a player like Manu, sign Walker, Sualli, then add Smith and are still being linked to Payne. One look at that team says something has to give.

It's not I don't see it, I just don't think any club does it more than anyone else- people just tend to ignore it from their own club. The Broncos have Coast kids and Kiwi kids coming out of their ears. I have never heard any Broncos fan say wish we didn't have Coast kids. Not that I think they should say that though.

Mam is from Cairns, if the Cowboys said you stole him it'd be ridiculous.

No it doesn't. It's the culture. That's what the Broncos have lost.. you heard what Smith said about their presentation. You have heard what Politis does for the players. Players WANT to sign there for less because of the history and all that other BS they get sold. They also have arguably the best coach in the NRL also attached.

Broncos need to market their upsides way harder... But the upsides matter nothing until we can be consistently in the finals again

Exactly. I sometimes can't stand all the "Melbourne do bla bla" and the roosters have an ENDLESS CAP! garbage.

By that logic you could make a case that we are over the cap cause we have so many good young talents coming through on our roster.

ROOSTERS DON'T DEVELOP PLAYERS

They do develop players, they just aren't from Bondi. They're from Toowoomba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • johnny plath
  • Rambstien
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Lozza
  • Howie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.