Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha exactly

I have no issue with that, that's what good clubs should be doing- wide net to find what you need, get them in at 17 and hopefully you've picked well.

The Dogs had a game against the Titans a few weeks ago for their 13 Queensland players. They were all 16-17 years old They have an academy here now. That's smart.

No it doesn't. It's the culture. That's what the Broncos have lost.. you heard what Smith said about their presentation. You have heard what Politis does for the players. Players WANT to sign there for less because of the history and all that other BS they get sold. They also have arguably the best coach in the NRL also attached.

Broncos need to market their upsides way harder... But the upsides matter nothing until we can be consistently in the finals again

We just have to start winning again, we have as good a culture as anyone

There's a bit to unpack. That's why it's going through a higher court. I'm not following the case, nor am I up to date in QLD contract law or the laws governing agents, but the concept of someone misleading you into thinking you're signing something different, and someone being negligent in duty to you, is universal. Bear in mind there is more than one contract and more than one legal issue involved here.

If his agent can prove he was neither negligent nor misleading Payne, then the contracts should remain enforceable. If it's a matter of Payne not paying enough attention, not doing due diligence in reading the contract, not being aware of his market value or changing his mind, that's tough luck for him. Probably.

Best not to speculate and leave it to the courts.
Yes, but the telling factor is that the Broncos are not a party to the litigation, ergo, it cannot involve his contract with the Broncos. Nor could any court make a ruling which impacted upon a contract (and in particular ruling that the contract was invalid) without having all contractual parties before the court and able to be heard and make submissions. Otherwise, it is just a fundamental breach of procedural fairness.

Therefore, it is a fairly safe assumption that the issues only pertain to his management agreement with Orr and that he is seeking to have that invalidated and potentially any management fees he has paid returned to him.

Yes, but the telling factor is that the Broncos are not a party to the litigation, ergo, it cannot involve his contract with the Broncos. Nor could any court make a ruling which impacted upon a contract (and in particular ruling that the contract was invalid) without having all contractual parties before the court and able to be heard and make submissions. Otherwise, it is just a fundamental breach of procedural fairness.

Therefore, it is a fairly safe assumption that the issues only pertain to his management agreement with Orr and that he is seeking to have that invalidated and potentially any management fees he has paid returned to him.

Yep, if the Broncos aren't involved, then I'd say you're correct. At this point anyway.

If it's only about the agent's commission aside from his contract with the Broncos, then yes, it would have no impact on his relationship with the club. But if this case is only the first phase and the agent's actions have knock on implications on the other contract, fucked if I know how many layers are in this onion.

That's why I'd be leaving it to the courts to figure out before I start pointing fingers or panicking about him leaving on the basis of this dispute.

Not technically true.

According to my understanding / study... If Haas is arguing that he was mislead / misguided / misinformed by his manager and they can show proof of wilful negligence or breach in fiduciary duty as it SPECFICIALLY relates to his Broncos contract, then Payne may be able to argue that he lacked the proper capacity to enter into that contract, due to the actions of his manager (depending on the extent of the misleading / misinformation).

It would likely be difficult to prove, but it would make the contract with the Broncos void.

(Note: I graduated law in 2015 and haven't kept up to date since then)

In reality, it doesn't matter anyway. If Haas wants out of his contract to play for the Roosters on big coin then he will find a way to agitate out of his contract anyway and the Broncos will have no choice but to honour it. We've seen it a hundred times.

Why have contracts if the NRL isn't going to enforce them. If someone breaks contract he shouldn't be able to play for any other NRL team until he's completed the amount of years specified in his contract for the club he signed a contract with... You want to walk out on your team 1 year into a 3 year deal to go play french rugby? Fine, but when you come back you're going back to your old team for the remaining 2 years or you're not playing in the NRL at all.

Not technically true.

According to my understanding / study... If Haas is arguing that he was mislead / misguided / misinformed by his manager and they can show proof of wilful negligence or breach in fiduciary duty as it SPECFICIALLY relates to his Broncos contract, then Payne may be able to argue that he lacked the proper capacity to enter into that contract, due to the actions of his manager (depending on the extent of the misleading / misinformation).

It would likely be difficult to prove, but it would make the contract with the Broncos void.

In reality, it doesn't matter anyway. If Haas wants out of his contract to play for the Roosters on big coin then he will find a way to agitate out of his contract anyway and the Broncos will have no choice but to honour it. We've seen it a hundred times.

Why have contracts if the NRL isn't going to enforce them. If someone breaks contract he shouldn't be able to play for any other NRL team until he's completed the amount of years specified in his contract for the club he signed a contract with... You want to walk out on your team 1 year into a 3 year deal to go play french rugby? Fine, but when you come back you're going back to your old team for the remaining 2 years or you're not playing in the NRL at all.
Pretty sure @lynx000 is a practicing, experienced lawyer (please correct me if I’m wrong?).

Not having a shot at you either - kudos on your degree! FWIW, I got my legal qualifications watching Judge Judy.

Pretty sure @lynx000 is a practicing, experienced lawyer (please correct me if I’m wrong?).

Not having a shot at you either - kudos on your degree! FWIW, I got me legal qualifications watching Judge Judy.

Yeah not saying he's wrong, just adding my interpretation which may or may not be correct - there's many angles and perspectives and interpretations for these sorts of legal questions.

There's many more informed than I and @lynx000, if I need a lesson in my interpretation of contract law then I'm all ears!

We just have to start winning again, we have as good a culture as anyone
The culture has taken one **** of a hit as of late though. But you are correct, start winning again and amazingly, the culture improves. This team is still a long way from being a consistent winner though.

It's not I don't see it, I just don't think any club does it more than anyone else- people just tend to ignore it from their own club. The Broncos have Coast kids and Kiwi kids coming out of their ears. I have never heard any Broncos fan say wish we didn't have Coast kids. Not that I think they should say that though.

Mam is from Cairns, if the Cowboys said you stole him it'd be ridiculous.
Yeah I get what your saying, fully admit to being a one eyed Broncos man. I actually think we should be doing more of it.

Yeah not saying he's wrong, just adding my interpretation which may or may not be correct - there's many angles and perspectives and interpretations for these sorts of legal questions.

There's many more informed than I and @lynx000, if I need a lesson in my interpretation of contract law then I'm all ears!
Don’t ask me, I know very little about most things and even less about everything else.

No it doesn't. It's the culture. That's what the Broncos have lost.. you heard what Smith said about their presentation. You have heard what Politis does for the players. Players WANT to sign there for less because of the history and all that other BS they get sold. They also have arguably the best coach in the NRL also attached.

Broncos need to market their upsides way harder... But the upsides matter nothing until we can be consistently in the finals again
Probably true, however at the end of the day it’s not healthy for a club with close to no support to be poaching the best players in a competition that presents itself as being even. This is especially true when their fabulously wealthy super fan member galavants around wining and dining players and is constantly being talked up deluxe in the media in a way that sickens non-roosters fans.

If there was no salary cap at least fans of clubs who lose talent like teddy and Keary would be able to ask why their club didn’t match the offer instead of feeling hopeless.

Probably true, however at the end of the day it’s not healthy for a club with close to no support to be poaching the best players in a competition that presents itself as being even. This is especially true when their fabulously wealthy super fan member galavants around wining and dining players and is constantly being talked up deluxe in the media in a way that sickens non-roosters fans.

If there was no salary cap at least fans of clubs who lose talent like teddy and Keary would be able to ask why their club didn’t match the offer instead of feeling hopeless.

Is it any healthier for one or two financially dominant teams to buy all the best players in the competition while other teams repetitively finish last and lose support or go into administration?

I'm not a massive fan of the salary cap but it does force clubs to make smart decisions in terms of retention and recruitment. If a club's management does that poorly, that will reflect on the field and the fans will inevitably vote with their memberships, ticket sales, merchandise purchases etc.

No idea what the solution is but I do think there needs to be some sort of draft like the AFL. That does seem to distribute the emerging talent relatively fairly and ensure the same teams aren't constantly winning premierships year after year.

They just need a team of people who have a backbone and actually hold the clubs to the salary cap.

that will never happen though.

They just need a team of people who have a backbone and actually hold the clubs to the salary cap.

that will never happen though.
And we'd be one of the first to suffer

Not technically true.

I'd imagine it would require further litigation.
Also not a lawyer, although partner is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • the_next
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Skyblues87
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.