Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevvie: “G’day Scotty how’s it going?”

Drinkwater: “I’m under contract”

End of conversation.
Kevie "Gday Scotty, you looking for a starting spot or at least in the 17 each week?"

Drinkwater "I'm under contract"

Kevie "You know those things don't matter anyway just call your manager"

Drinkwater "ok Mr Walters ill be in touch"
Phones Beep

Kevie "Gday Scotty, you looking for a starting spot or at least in the 17 each week?"

Drinkwater "I'm under contract"

Kevie "You know those things don't matter anyway just call your manager"

Drinkwater "ok Mr Walters ill be in touch"
Phones Beep
if i was going to get on the phone to anyone it would be ponga for next year should have some money back from the dead weight we are paying to play elsewhere would think we could make a competitive offer to have him not take up his p/o at newcastle.

if i was going to get on the phone to anyone it would be ponga for next year should have some money back from the dead weight we are paying to play elsewhere would think we could make a competitive offer to have him not take up his p/o at newcastle.

We’d be competing with the Dolphins. I reckon we’ll go for Walsh, just a hunch because it would be a big selling point if a kid who left came home.

We’d be competing with the Dolphins. I reckon we’ll go for Walsh, just a hunch because it would be a big selling point if a kid who left came home.
either or personally id prefer ponga because he could effectively be off contract for next year i think walshes three year contract actually starts this year but could be wrong on that so it would likely take something to make it happen from us going back the warriors way.

either or personally id prefer ponga because he could effectively be off contract for next year i think walshes three year contract actually starts this year but could be wrong on that so it would likely take something to make it happen from us going back the warriors way.
Walsh is signed until 2023. 2024 is a PO in his favour.

He could always leave a year early, just like he did when he went to the Warriors.

Ponga was paid a million a year to help the Knights go all the way from a bottom 4 team to... probably not far away from a bottom 4 team. And that was with the help of Pearce, Klemmer and a bunch of other senior players at the same time.

I doubt he'd have much more success here. For all his flair, brilliance and talent on the field, he's not the type of player that makes the team around him better and for the money he wants, he's not a smart signing for a club with as many holes as we have.

Ponga is a mercenary who cares more about his off-field social media following than developing his game to become truly great / putting his own pursuits behind the success of his team.

Hard pass.

I think Drinkwater would likely take a season at 6 and a season at fullback and reassess his career options from there rather than a season in cup and possibly either career wasted spending to much time establishing yourself at different clubs or your playing super league. He is an established nrl player and has to move and play in a team that represents it.
to much time, too much time, you're your. 6/10
Little Jim could do so much better if he'd apply himself.

Yes, both were the highest scorers last season for their clubs. Wait, what? Options?
You didn't just use highest point scorers as a debate when only 1 of the 3 consistently kicked goals for their side?

You didn't just use highest point scorers as a debate when only 1 of the 3 consistently kicked goals for their side?
No, I pointed out they offer LESS options as neither kicks.

Ponga was paid a million a year to help the Knights go all the way from a bottom 4 team to... probably not far away from a bottom 4 team. And that was with the help of Pearce, Klemmer and a bunch of other senior players at the same time.

I doubt he'd have much more success here. For all his flair, brilliance and talent on the field, he's not the type of player that makes the team around him better and for the money he wants, he's not a smart signing for a club with as many holes as we have.

Ponga is a mercenary who cares more about his off-field social media following than developing his game to become truly great / putting his own pursuits behind the success of his team.

Hard pass.

Granted the series had been lost, but look at Origin 3 last year compared to 1 & 2. Ponga is a genuine gun and if he's not worth $1 million a year, he is definitely worth $800k +.

The Dolphins will almost certainly throw as much as $1.5 million at him as they need to land a marquee, which no one is worth to be honest, but if we can get him for anything under one million dollary-doo's we'd be nuts not to.

Granted the series had been lost, but look at Origin 3 last year compared to 1 & 2. Ponga is a genuine gun and if he's not worth $1 million a year, he is definitely worth $800k +.

The Dolphins will almost certainly throw as much as $1.5 million at him as they need to land a marquee, which no one is worth to be honest, but if we can get him for anything under one million dollary-doo's we'd be nuts not to.
I love Ponga, but 1.5m is insane. I wouldn't even pay Trbo/Cleary that.

Hard to disagree with anything you say, hes certainly an immense talent who can turn it on for a big game, but I don't think he's dedicated and focused enough to be a consistently game-changing force at club level - he certainly hasn't been for the Knights.

The Dolphins will probably throw ridiculous money at him, and while it may not be justifiable from a football perspective, it may be the right move for the franchise.

You're right, at under 1m he would be worth looking at, but I'd say the chances of him taking less than a million are slim to none. He will go to the highest bidder, mail it in relying on his enormous natural talent to be better than most players and then go join rugby union to play for the all blacks as soon as he gets bored.

For over $1m you'd need not only a player who is in the top 5 of performances every single week, but also a true leader, captain, role model and was solely consumed with wanting to help the club win / be an ambassador for your team and brand. Ponga doesn't fit the bill, and as @BooKhaki correctly said above, there's not a player in the NRL right now worth that kind of money - it absolutely cripples the rest of the team.

Hard to disagree with anything you say, hes certainly an immense talent who can turn it on for a big game, but I don't think he's dedicated and focused enough to be a consistently game-changing force at club level - he certainly hasn't been for the Knights.

The Dolphins will probably throw ridiculous money at him, and while it may not be justifiable from a football perspective, it may be the right move for the franchise.

You're right, at under 1m he would be worth looking at, but I'd say the chances of him taking less than a million are slim to none. He will go to the highest bidder, mail it in relying on his enormous natural talent to be better than most players and then go join rugby union to play for the all blacks as soon as he gets bored.

For over $1m you'd need not only a player who is in the top 5 of performances every single week, but also a true leader, captain, role model and was solely consumed with wanting to help the club win / be an ambassador for your team and brand. Ponga doesn't fit the bill, and as @BooKhaki correctly said above, there's not a player in the NRL right now worth that kind of money - it absolutely cripples the rest of the team.

To be honest I didn't watch too many Knights games, or many that weren't either Broncos games of the occasional free-to-air game on a Thursday or Friday, so I'm not going to be a very good judge of his impact for the Knights. It wouldn't surprise me that he's one that gets up for the rep games but phones it in at club level, and the mercenary reputation is almost certainly true considering the rumours of how his family pumps him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • eggstar10
  • Tristan1990
  • davidp
  • The Strapper
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Dexter
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • heartly87
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mitch222
  • Mr Fourex
  • maddo
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.