Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree .
Have you not watched him play ? He`s not Herbie .

Not sure if you're taking a shot at Herbie's inability to pass or if you are implying Herbie is so disliked by his teammates that his very presence at the club makes the team worse?

I have watched Kaylin play a fair bit .
A lot of attack is generated by his passing and running . I don`t understand why you say he doesn`t make the players around him better .
He is quite an inspirational player IMO . And if I was a centre or winger I would like to have him threatening the line then giving me one of his beautifully timed passes .
Add to that he`s a tough SOB .

Haven't heard of the anti tempering rules in the NRL I see?

No I think if you want to get out of a contract, either the club has to want to move you on or the player has to want to get out, probably for a legitimate reason (as the club doesn't have to release you)

Just because we need a fullback, I don't think that's going to cut it

Time to face facts.

In a salary cap league, we cannot buy a spine on the market.

Maybe, you could confidently expect to get 2 via market; we got our halfback for the next 3 years. We "could" aquire a fullback/hooker/5-8th but you are paying overs simply because so few are on the market and more than half the league would be your competition for their signature.

Our best hope is internal development.

Its a shame for Niu that he has lost momentum somewhat. Id dearly love to have seen him line up for round 1.

But he needs at least a season at 1. Both for himself and the club.

If he can do a job there (and id imagine at a lessor cost than going to market) then next season your looking at the long term hooker/5-8th. Again we have internal options for both.

Finally who is replacing Reynolds when he retires from the NRL?

That planning has to start now. He will be our brains on the field, everything will be built around his game. We will need someone who can come in and basically take the baton and be alowed to put his spin on the role.

I have watched Kaylin play a fair bit .
A lot of attack is generated by his passing and running . I don`t understand why you say he doesn`t make the players around him better .
He is quite an inspirational player IMO . And if I was a centre or winger I would like to have him threatening the line then giving me one of his beautifully timed passes .
Add to that he`s a tough SOB .

Simply because the Knights are paying him $1m / season PLUS substantially improved the rest of the team around him, yet they are still not even consistently in the top 8.

If you are spending $1m / year on a player, he should be not only your best player every week, he should be giving you at least a decent chance at winning every game through his constant involvement including at key moments. KP isn't even at that level yet - often going missing in clutch scenarios of club games. Sure, he makes highlight reel plays and 'wows' the crowd and puts up good statistics and generates decent attack, but you sign a $1m player for one reason - to win more games... It's hard to argue Ponga has made much of a difference to the Knights win / loss record despite a lot of eye-catching, remarkable plays.

A $1m+ player ALSO off the field should be setting the example for others around him by involving himself in the development of other players, working closely with coaches to learn and generate new ideas, going above and beyond at training and doing extras with other players to form combinations... Dozens of little things that go beyond just what he's producing on the field - Kalyn seems more interested in TikTok than doing extras at training and the result is that the Knights have dedicated a huge portion of their salary to him and haven't really improved much.

But more than that, Ponga hasn't even really elevated his own game over the last few years after joining the Knights. He's arguably been outshone and overtaken by less naturally talented players like Papenhyuzen who has gone from strength to strength. I remember when joined Newcastle I read an article about him being the first choice goalkicker for Newcastle and how it was his dream to have the pressure of taking game winning conversions and he vowed to hone his craft and become an elite striker of the ball. Fast forward 3 years and it seems goal kicking has been put in the 'too hard' basket, with Ponga failing to make an effort to improve at all despite few other reliable options at the club - that example alone highlights the lack of dedication and commitment to rugby league. Do you think a legendary player and leader like Cam Smith or Darren Lockyer would go MIA in that fashion if their team needed them?

Knights are my de facto second team and I am a big fan of KP's ability and talent, I just don't think he's worth anything near what he will want, and think his stint at Newcastle proves that any team who thinks signing KP will elevate them to contender status is kidding themselves.

Just my opinion after watching the Knights and Ponga very closely over the last few seasons.

For me, these younger players with athletic brilliance need to evolve because their athleticism won't always be there.

Milford at the Raiders had all sorts of agility but by the time he finished up with us, the most potent aspect of his game was his midfield bomb.

Be interesting to see if Ponga can bring a new dimension to his game and evolve into the playmaker, as he won't always have the speed and footwork to dazzle the opposition.

Simply because the Knights are paying him $1m / season PLUS substantially improved the rest of the team around him, yet they are still not even consistently in the top 8.

If you are spending $1m / year on a player, he should be not only your best player every week, he should be giving you at least a decent chance at winning every game through his constant involvement including at key moments. KP isn't even at that level yet - often going missing in clutch scenarios of club games. Sure, he makes highlight reel plays and 'wows' the crowd and puts up good statistics and generates decent attack, but you sign a $1m player for one reason - to win more games... It's hard to argue Ponga has made much of a difference to the Knights win / loss record despite a lot of eye-catching, remarkable plays.

A $1m+ player ALSO off the field should be setting the example for others around him by involving himself in the development of other players, working closely with coaches to learn and generate new ideas, going above and beyond at training and doing extras with other players to form combinations... Dozens of little things that go beyond just what he's producing on the field - Kalyn seems more interested in TikTok than doing extras at training and the result is that the Knights have dedicated a huge portion of their salary to him and haven't really improved much.

But more than that, Ponga hasn't even really elevated his own game over the last few years after joining the Knights. He's arguably been outshone and overtaken by less naturally talented players like Papenhyuzen who has gone from strength to strength. I remember when joined Newcastle I read an article about him being the first choice goalkicker for Newcastle and how it was his dream to have the pressure of taking game winning conversions and he vowed to hone his craft and become an elite striker of the ball. Fast forward 3 years and it seems goal kicking has been put in the 'too hard' basket, with Ponga failing to make an effort to improve at all despite few other reliable options at the club - that example alone highlights the lack of dedication and commitment to rugby league. Do you think a legendary player and leader like Cam Smith or Darren Lockyer would go MIA in that fashion if their team needed them?

Knights are my de facto second team and I am a big fan of KP's ability and talent, I just don't think he's worth anything near what he will want, and think his stint at Newcastle proves that any team who thinks signing KP will elevate them to contender status is kidding themselves.

Just my opinion after watching the Knights and Ponga very closely over the last few seasons.
TLDR . LOL .

1A9E66F9 43EF 4A4A 9D0C B338E59ED412

Why not? He’s far better than our current 6 options outside of Mam’s yet to be fulfilled potential.

He sees himself as a 6 and doesnt really want that fullback role anymore. He's pretty settled up north, recently bought a house up there but if he's not playing then its worth testing the waters. He's a better 6 or 1 than anything we have. Only thing with him is he is suspect in defence.

If you are spending $1m / year on a player, he should be not only your best player every week, he should be giving you at least a decent chance at winning every game through his constant involvement including at key moments.
You just know Anthony Milford would be love to be furiously spamming the ‘Dislike’ button on this one, but he just couldn’t be bothered with making even that small physical effort.

Never got the hype with Drinkwater.
Yeh, he'll set up 3 tries a game, and then let in 5 tries as well...

Some posters wanted him as a fullback here...

Rather Isaako...better the devil you know...

FWIW, Tallis say on Triple M after the Souths match, that he's "hearing" Cobbo won't leave us

I know over the years we’ve seen some people make statements “I want to play for this club for life”.. and then go on to leave

I would be genuinely stunned if Cobbo left us, he just seems like a really quiet kid off the field and you don’t see many write up on the blackboard at their school they want to play for a particular club. Also the ties he has in the club through Renouf and all that, as long as the club offers him a reasonable deal, I don’t see any reason why he would want to leave

There’s every chance a desperate club comes along with the cheque book but hopefully under the new management they won’t get an opportunity to put forward a deal to him and we’ll have him signed up before it gets to that, that’s why I said if we offer him a reasonable deal, he should be staying with us

I know over the years we’ve seen some people make statements “I want to play for this club for life”.. and then go on to leave

I would be genuinely stunned if Cobbo left us, he just seems like a really quiet kid off the field and you don’t see many write up on the blackboard at their school they want to play for a particular club. Also the ties he has in the club through Renouf and all that, as long as the club offers him a reasonable deal, I don’t see any reason why he would want to leave

There’s every chance a desperate club comes along with the cheque book but hopefully under the new management they won’t get an opportunity to put forward a deal to him and we’ll have him signed up before it gets to that, that’s why I said if we offer him a reasonable deal, he should be staying with us
Definitely agree with what you said.
Out of all our players Selwyn is one I believe if he says Bronco for life.
I've read alot that he is a shy and quiet kid and you can tell by the interviews he has done, Moving away from his family and community would be a massive thing for him.
The writing on the blackboard was his dream and he's living it by playing with us.
With Renouf in his ear as well he's not leaving the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • mitch222
  • Viti
  • The Strapper
  • RodF
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Locky24
  • BRC088
  • Adammacca
  • levikaden
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
  • azza.79
  • Sproj
  • Evander
  • Maroon4life
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.