Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Yep, I wouldn't take anything literally they say about the player market.

The Cowboys would be nuts to flick Drinkwater though, unless they know something we don't. He can cover the halves and fullback if any get injured, and the chances of that in a season are ~100%.
Like we would be nuts to release our 2nd choice fullback when our 1st choice is a dud.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Drinkwater isn't the answer to our fullback questions. You want to target a fullback, Reece Walsh is your man. Need to stop settling for stop gap solutions. You think Nui was bad yesterday in defence, Drinkwater is a walking turnstile and always has been. Its why he isn't in the NRL

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Drinkwater isn't the answer to our fullback questions. You want to target a fullback, Reece Walsh is your man. Need to stop settling for stop gap solutions. You think Nui was bad yesterday in defence, Drinkwater is a walking turnstile and always has been. Its why he isn't in the NRL

I have learned quickly that a lot of people on here aren’t interested in what players are capable of in defense.

Just look at the Billy Walters to replace Turpin suggestions, Turpin makes 50 tackles a game in the middle of the field, how’s Billy Walters going to pull that off? They see him with some nice stepping and think he’s the answer, as if tackling doesn’t even matter.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I have learned quickly that a lot of people on here aren’t interested in what players are capable of in defense.

Just look at the Billy Walters to replace Turpin suggestions, Turpin makes 50 tackles a game in the middle of the field, how’s Billy Walters going to pull that off? They see him with some nice stepping and think he’s the answer, as if tackling doesn’t even matter.
I got 3 questions here.

1. I thought i read last year someone posted stats and turpin averaged 40 tackles a game not 50. could be wrong though

2. What makes you think billy cant average the same amount of tackles? i mean maybe he cannot but i have yet to see him given the chance to play 60 minutes at hooker so what makes you so sure he wont be able to.

3. Is 40 tackles a game good bad or average for a hooker to be making?
What did all the other 60 minute hookers average across the nrl Because I keep hearing from some posters how great turpins defense is and we would be lost without it. But i would like to actually see stats to see how he compares.

Because bottom line is Turpin service looks to be the worst in the comp. And the one thing that he had going for him when he first came on the scene was his running game and energy which he now has completely lost.

I have no doubt if he was performing like he has for other teams he most likely would of been dropped or relegated to bench by now.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

Maybe 50 tackles is too many and that’s part of the problem. I don’t dislike Turpin starting because he is okay in the grind but he needs to come off far earlier. Maybe as early as 20-30 minutes, for someone who can pass, run; and deceive because at some point we actually need to be able to score, or make metres, or kick without being under huge pressure.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He is at 6, not so much at fullback. Like i said before, if he couldnt have defended and play the fullback role, Bellamy would never have put him in pole position to take over from Slater. The big problem with Drinky is he wants to play 6.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Maybe 50 tackles is too many and that’s part of the problem. I don’t dislike Turpin starting because he is okay in the grind but he needs to come off far earlier. Maybe as early as 20-30 minutes, for someone who can pass, run; and deceive because at some point we actually need to be able to score, or make metres, or kick without being under huge pressure.

Turpin in a lot of ways is like Isaako and Gamble in the way their games just havent evolved from what they did in Queensland Cup. They are ok at what they do, but to become regular NRL players in the spine positions they needed a bit more. Gamble and Turpin are effort players. Not a bad thing, but not good enough ultimately in crucial positions. I've been saying the same things about Turpin that i was saying about him in 2018. His game is all based on his impact, but he burns himself out and then suffers a loss of form. Thats getting worse now, not better. Isaako was exactly the same. Great ball runner, but not much else. You need to be more than that as a fullback.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
He was really good on Saturday night for Mackay. Looked fast and had a hand in Mackay's first three tries and scored one- took on their general play kicking both long and short.

He was back to his 2018 ISC form at the back.

Edit- 14 runs, 140m, two try assists, one line break assist, five tackle breaks.

He was sharp.
It would be pretty awesome to have a fullback that can ball play or throw a cut-out pass.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It would be pretty awesome to have a fullback that can ball play or throw a cut-out pass.

People sadly are judging him as a 6 in a poor side where he was admittedly poor in defense. You dont have the same kind defense to do at fullback because you dont have forwards constanly running at you. At fullback he has a lot of the tools you want. He is a good talker and organiser. He is fairly quick, has a kicking game and can pass.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
There are heaps of options in both the 1 and 9 jerseys running around in reserve grade that are good enough to play in the NRL. If our depth options and starting options aren't good enough. I personally don't have an issue with progressing with Walters and Paid at 9. I just want to say if you don't like any of these options and you still want to complain you have lost the right to argue because there is no better realistic option. @1910 is real big on reserve grade comps as well so interested if you have any other thoughts outside of the following lists.

Fullback:
- Scott Drinkwater (Cowboys/Cutters)
- Tex Hoy (Knights)
- Sunia Turuva (Panthers)
- Hayze Perham (Eels)
- Kaeo Weekes (Manly/Blacktown)
- Jack Ahearn (Norths)
- Trai Fuller (Redcliffe)

You would probably only be looking at the top 3 realistically but yet agin compounding the evidence that their isn't much better out there. If your really desperate and can't force any of them to happen you would potentially take a look at the latter 2 but only Jack is in our systems. @1910 thoughts?

Hooker:
- Peter Mamouzelos (Rabbitohs)
- Ben Marschke (Roosters/North Sydney Bears)
- Joshua Cook (Bulldogs)
- Jake Simpkin (Tigers/Magpies)

You'd either be looking at Peter (who I rate) and Jake. Both wouldn't be that expensive and both would be open to go somewhere for a starting spot. I am done with Jake his defence is great but like no point having him if he significantly disadvantages every play he starts at dummy half from.

I really rate Sunia but he would be tough to snag a release for, but if he wanted it enough he'd get it as Dylan will be there for a while and Staines seems like the fullback after him and that's before taking into account Crichton who will undoubtedly want a crack there. Other wise Scott or Tex which I would take either at fullback. I actually really love Peter think he has a big future in the game would definetely take him and a bit like Sunia the Rabbitohs rate him but he is stuck behind cooky who is the NSW hooker.

Obviously not amazing lists 2 or 3 genuine options either list but the reality is that if you won't take these guys you can't be complaining about our issues in those 2 spots. Because I can't see us attracting any blokes with a starting spot and good deals to our club this year.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
There are heaps of options in both the 1 and 9 jerseys running around in reserve grade that are good enough to play in the NRL. If our depth options and starting options aren't good enough. I personally don't have an issue with progressing with Walters and Paid at 9. I just want to say if you don't like any of these options and you still want to complain you have lost the right to argue because there is no better realistic option. @1910 is real big on reserve grade comps as well so interested if you have any other thoughts outside of the following lists.

Fullback:
- Scott Drinkwater (Cowboys/Cutters)
- Tex Hoy (Knights)
- Sunia Turuva (Panthers)
- Hayze Perham (Eels)
- Kaeo Weekes (Manly/Blacktown)
- Jack Ahearn (Norths)
- Trai Fuller (Redcliffe)

You would probably only be looking at the top 3 realistically but yet agin compounding the evidence that their isn't much better out there. If your really desperate and can't force any of them to happen you would potentially take a look at the latter 2 but only Jack is in our systems. @1910 thoughts?

Hooker:
- Peter Mamouzelos (Rabbitohs)
- Ben Marschke (Roosters/North Sydney Bears)
- Joshua Cook (Bulldogs)
- Jake Simpkin (Tigers/Magpies)

You'd either be looking at Peter (who I rate) and Jake. Both wouldn't be that expensive and both would be open to go somewhere for a starting spot. I am done with Jake his defence is great but like no point having him if he significantly disadvantages every play he starts at dummy half from.

I really rate Sunia but he would be tough to snag a release for, but if he wanted it enough he'd get it as Dylan will be there for a while and Staines seems like the fullback after him and that's before taking into account Crichton who will undoubtedly want a crack there. Other wise Scott or Tex which I would take either at fullback. I actually really love Peter think he has a big future in the game would definetely take him and a bit like Sunia the Rabbitohs rate him but he is stuck behind cooky who is the NSW hooker.

Obviously not amazing lists 2 or 3 genuine options either list but the reality is that if you won't take these guys you can't be complaining about our issues in those 2 spots. Because I can't see us attracting any blokes with a starting spot and good deals to our club this year.
Wolfie said it too but out of all semi possible options I’d take CNK from Canberra. Probably not likely though.
Could maybe offer a trade - they’re short a hooker to share the role with starling so a straight swap for Turpin could be an option. Though that would leave our hooker depth really low.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Wolfie said it too but out of all semi possible options I’d take CNK from Canberra. Probably not likely though.
Could maybe offer a trade - they’re short a hooker to share the role with starling so a straight swap for Turpin could be an option. Though that would leave our hooker depth really low.
Well, we have form for leaving important positions without depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• maddo
  • Robboi_321
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.